Ram Mount iPhone/GPS A-Pillar Mod (2nd Gen Tacoma)

TacoBaz

iPhone/GPS Holder Using Ram Mounts

Full write up is on my website, visit using the link in my signature

I'll start off by saying a couple things
  1. I did not create this mod. I found this mod on TacomaWorld
  2. G.T. on TacomaWorld is the orginal poster
  3. I searched and could not find a similar post, apologies if I missed it
My 2015 Tacoma has a grab handle on the A-Pillar. The bottom bolt presents an excellent opportunity to re-purpose a 1" ball mount meant for motorcycles.
049.jpg

Here's a shot of all the parts I used for this mod
044.jpg

Here's the hardware needed
048.jpg

Here's the ball mounted in the A Pillar
058.jpg

Here's the final product
063.jpg

I hope you find this useful!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Nice. I'm a big fan of RAM mounts.
On my Suburban (and on my 4runner before) I simply stuck a RAM 1" ball mount onto my dashboard with two pieces of heavy duty 3m all-weather mounting tape. It's worked great for years.
2016-01-31 15.55.42_zpsvdqwbfn2.jpg

TacoBaz

Nice. I'm a big fan of RAM mounts.
On my Suburban (and on my 4runner before) I simply stuck a RAM 1" ball mount onto my dashboard with two pieces of heavy duty 3m all-weather mounting tape. It's worked great for years.
2016-01-31 15.55.42_zpsvdqwbfn2.jpg

Thanks!

Nicely done, simple and effective ;-) I don't have much dash space in my Tacoma, but that was one of my original plans as well, to use that center dash space.

Now I just need to figure out how to rig up a CB without drilling any holes...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thanks!

Nicely done, simple and effective ;-) I don't have much dash space in my Tacoma, but that was one of my original plans as well, to use that center dash space.

Now I just need to figure out how to rig up a CB without drilling any holes...
Midland 75-822. Comes with a pigtail that plugs into a 12v socket, the other one has an antenna connector. Been using one for years. Will also convert to an HT and can even recharge batteries. And it features a WX band radio, too.
https://www.amazon.com/MIDLAND-RADI...qid=1492711310&sr=8-4&keywords=midland+75-822
For mine I just run a loop of 550 cord (parachute cord) through the belt clip on the back of the unit and hang it over the rear view mirror. Keeps it close when I need it without being in the way. No permanent attachment of any kind.

TacoBaz

Midland 75-822. Comes with a pigtail that plugs into a 12v socket, the other one has an antenna connector. Been using one for years. Will also convert to an HT and can even recharge batteries. And it features a WX band radio, too.
https://www.amazon.com/MIDLAND-RADI...qid=1492711310&sr=8-4&keywords=midland+75-822
For mine I just run a loop of 550 cord (parachute cord) through the belt clip on the back of the unit and hang it over the rear view mirror. Keeps it close when I need it without being in the way. No permanent attachment of any kind.

So what do you use for the antenna?

Any noise running it through the 12v socket? I've read it causes interference?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
No ignition noise or any other issues apparent to me. Antenna is a mag mount whip on the center of the roof for the best ground plane.

Realistically, it's about as good as a CB can be or needs to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TacoBaz

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking about going with the Wilson Lil Wil so I can take it off when I don't need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998