Ram Rear Suspension Hop

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
Guys, I drive a 2006 Ram 1500 Megacab with a KORE Recon suspension and 35" BFG AT's. The KORE suspension added a Deaver leaf pack to the rear.

Every now and then, when travelling across a bumpy stretch of asphalt and the bumps are spaced just right, the rear wheels will start to hop violently and provide a very exciting ride for a while.

Has anyone else had this problem? how did you solve it?

I run the rear tires at 30psi and the front at 35psi on pavement.

I'm considering air springs, Timbren extended bump stops or overload springs.

Any help is appreciated.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
maybe the rear shocks can't keep up with the rebound? or the setup is designed for a heavier load than what you have?

did the same axle hop occur without the kore lift?

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
KORE suggested the rear tire pressure be set to 30 psi. The first time it happened they were set at 35 psi.

I've inspected the installation. Nothing appears to be loose.

I never had the wheel hop with the stock suspension or under a heavy load.

chasespeed

Explorer
At what speeds are you getting wheel hop?

I am thinking a combination of things happening at once....

What are you running for shocks?

BTW, KORE, doesnt stand for anything, its a Company.

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
Wheel hop has occured between 55 and 70 mph.

Shocks are bilsteins, came with the kit and are 'valved specifically for the dodge ram' per the KORE (Kroeker Off Road Engineering) website.

I've wondered if it is possible to install the front shocks in the rear and vice versa. I did not install the suspension myself, not sure if they would even fit in the incorrect positions? Sometimes the front shocks bottom out on rough roads at low speeds.

bftank

Explorer
i'd grab the proper wrenches and double check everything if you had someone else install it. lugnuts and all. sounds scary. hate to lose a tire or spit out one of the rear blocks.

i doubt it's the shocks. even if they are upside down or the wrong place it still shouldn't hop. but it's worth checking

aquawolfe

What about traction bars? I've been told they help a lot with wheel hop on washboard roads. I was thinking of putting them on my truck. I get wheel hop if I leave any more that 15 psi in my rear air bags and 40psi rear tire pressure. I also have supersprings on the rear. So i rides rough anyways.

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
I had not considered traction bars.

Didn't find time to crawl under the truck today. Seems like something has to be loose, backwards or upside down. I better do that tomorrow before the rain starts again.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
Those 3 items first listed won't do anything to help this problem. I don't think a latter bar will do any good either because it sounds like a shock valving problem.

If the shock mounts are the same top and bottom for the front and rear, they very well could be in the wrong end of the truck. Sounds like the compression is too soft ojn the front and its too stiff in the rear.

You could always call Biltein and get a better answer than "lower your tire pressure".

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
Stan, I agree it sounds like shock valving. I contacted KORE again, waiting on their response.

Jnich makes a good point, may be best to leave well enough alone sometimes....maybe I should go buy a new Power Wagon and leave it alone.

My wife will think that's a great idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger