RAM vs. Ford SRW Chassis Cab for Flatbed Grandby?

Durango

Adventurer
OK, let's get this out right away. My wife says it is a sickness. I've got a great 4WD Ram 2500 crew cab with a 2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed that I've built out to perfection inside. We love it! Can I stop there? NO! (Sioux is right- I'm sick!)

So I've been reflecting on buying a regular cab (it is almost always just the two of us) Ford or Ram SRW Chassis Cab. Why on the Chassis Cab? They just make a flat bed build so much easier and allow a 34" wide X 6" high "shovel box" the full length of the bed. The standard gas tanks are much larger and the longer bed will easily fit a Grandby. (Or other FB camper.) Whether Ford or Ram I'll go with the gas engine. (Our 2012 Ram only has 20K one owner miles!)

Folks, I'm no mechanic. My cursory research leads me away from Chevy with the IFS and last time I drove their standard gasser it felt anemic. So I'm in-between the Ram 3500 or the F-350 single rear wheel chassis cab. I like that the Ford can be optioned with a locking differential but then I have to admit that our Ram with the limited-slip differential has never been stuck nor has had any problems yet. (Only 20K miles though!) :)

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the pros and cons of the Ram vs. Ford and thanks in advance!

Steve

PS Don't know why I can't enjoy this little sweetheart! (On edit: the truck/camper, not the wife of 41 years!)
Flaming Gorge.jpg

Last edited:

drewactual

Adventurer
there are issues with both chassis's... Dodge has a weakness that has cases of straight up breaking, and Ford has some sort of (theorized) harmonic vibration that causes a wheel hop at a certain speed range (that there is a cure for, involving a brace being bolted or welded in)... both work really well for most, though, but there is that to at least know going into the discussion.

js9234

Observer
I don't think you can go wrong either way. Which one has a bigger fuel tank? The limited slip in my Ram 3500 has never let me down and I wheel pretty hard. I would guess they get about the same MPG. Are the gas engines detuned on a chassis cab like the Diesels?

Durango

Adventurer
I don't think you can go wrong either way. Which one has a bigger fuel tank? The limited slip in my Ram 3500 has never let me down and I wheel pretty hard. I would guess they get about the same MPG. Are the gas engines detuned on a chassis cab like the Diesels?
I believe they are the standard engine ratings. Will check on gas tank size but roughly comparable. And X2 on the Ram differential.

Durango

Adventurer
This guy bought the exact truck you're thinking about. It has a lot of the vehicle specs in it. Might be worth a read. I didn't realize they came with the Aisin transmission which is a big plus.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...16-Ram-3500-cab-chassis-adventure-truck-build
Yes, I've been following Strega's build. I assume the Aisin is worth the extra 1600 bucks? (I'm not super worried about money- this one will be a long term keeper... of course, that is what I told Sioux back in 2012!) I think the Aisin is also only available with the 4.44 rear end. Maybe I need to check with Strega! :)

Durango

Adventurer
What I'd be looking at with the RAM would be the:

6.4-Liter V8 Heavy Duty HEMI® Engine
Dual Alternators Rated at 380-Amps
AISIN Heavy Duty 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
4.44 Axle Ratio
Cloth 40 / 20 / 40 Bench Seat
Power and Remote Entry Group
18-Inch x 8.0-Inch Steel Wheels
LT275/70R18E BSW On/Off-Road Tires
Tow Hooks
Low Beam Daytime Running Headlamps
Transfer Case Skid Plate
Trailer Brake Control
Full Size Spare Tire
GVW Rating - 10,000 Pounds

Sort of a basic rig with a few amenities for the better half. I do like the manual 4x4 shift. What am I missing? Or is there something on the list above that wouldn't work with our brand of "moderate over landing"?

BTW, the Ram build site puts this delivered at around 38K delivered.

Any advantages to the F-350? I've been pleased with my 2012 Ram but really am not "brand loyal".

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
there are issues with both chassis's... Dodge has a weakness that has cases of straight up breaking, and Ford has some sort of (theorized) harmonic vibration that causes a wheel hop at a certain speed range (that there is a cure for, involving a brace being bolted or welded in)... both work really well for most, though, but there is that to at least know going into the discussion.

Dodge frames have been breaking?

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
I'd appreciate any thoughts on the pros and cons of the Ram vs. Ford and thanks in advance!

I was at the same decision point about a year ago. Check the turning radius on the Ford compared to the Ram. On my model the comparison came out something like 43 ft. for the Ram and 51 ft. for the Ford. I was leaning toward the Ford initially but the manual transmission coupled with the Cummins changed my mind. I ended up with an extended cab 2500. We use the back seat area for cargo primarily but like to have the option to carry people too.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
If I was picking 2017's I get the Ford, just because its been updated. They are both nice trucks IMO. The e-locker is what tips the scale to the ford, I have had a sour experience with the ram "unlimited slip".

STREGA

Explorer
Yes, I've been following Strega's build. I assume the Aisin is worth the extra 1600 bucks? (I'm not super worried about money- this one will be a long term keeper... of course, that is what I told Sioux back in 2012!) I think the Aisin is also only available with the 4.44 rear end. Maybe I need to check with Strega! :)

In my world (which has some flaws) the Aisin is worth the extra $$$ Especially if you plan to keep it a long time. I can't remember if the Aisin is available with taller axle ratios but wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. The 2016 cab/chassis Hemi is detuned about 10%, I would assume for long term reliability. Still has good performance for a gasser but it ain't no Cummins.

Durango

Adventurer
In my world (which has some flaws) the Aisin is worth the extra $$$ Especially if you plan to keep it a long time. I can't remember if the Aisin is available with taller axle ratios but wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. The 2016 cab/chassis Hemi is detuned about 10%, I would assume for long term reliability. Still has good performance for a gasser but it ain't no Cummins.
Thanks, Strega! I believe the Aisin is only available with the 4.44. So in real world driving are you finding your Ram is comfortable at highway speeds geared that low? (We travel heavy and will likely be close to the 10,000# GVW with the flatbed camper and all our assorted crap, extra water and fuel, etc!) Our current go to highway speed in our Ram with the 3.73 is around 65 mph.

STREGA

Explorer
Thanks, Strega! I believe the Aisin is only available with the 4.44. So in real world driving are you finding your Ram is comfortable at highway speeds geared that low? (We travel heavy and will likely be close to the 10,000# GVW with the flatbed camper and all our assorted crap, extra water and fuel, etc!) Our current go to highway speed in our Ram with the 3.73 is around 65 mph.

I have only run this truck empty so far but it's sweet spot is around 65 mph. It's comfortable at 75 but fuel mileage starts going down. I've seen anywhere from 9mpg to 17mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle