Ran 2500 8ft bed

RangeDrive

Observer
Does anyone run a 8ft bed pickup? I’m selling my 1st Gen Tacoma and I’m wanting a 2500 to support my growing family. The 8ft bed options are tempting me due to the obvious reasons of cargo space for dogs and toys or cargo. I’m having some hesitation though because I’m concerned of it’s size and inability to maneuver easily in the woods. I won’t be hard core off-roading but want the ability to access remote camping spots.
Does anyone have a long bed full size that can chime in on their thoughts? Is it not as big of a deal as I’m thinking?

Inline6

Adventurer
ive had the long bed since 04. Yes a bit long, but you can put about anything you want in the bed, they ride better, and are just cool.

I prefer the long beds for everything but a daily driver in the city. JMHO.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I'm now over 70 years old and have owned pickups all my life. My 2016 F150 with the 6.5' bed is the first "shortbed" I've ever owned. I still have an 8' bed - on my Ram 3500. There is just so much more that can be done with an 8' bed - especially if you are a homeowner. The extra length has never been much of a problem.

Only reason I got the F150 with the 6.5' bed was that I knew I would be keeping the Ram for my heavy work. The F150 gets great mileage, rides nice and smooth, and the dirt bike or quad fit in the back and I can still close the tailgate. That's all I expect of it and for that it works great. But if I ever had to go back to just one pickup, it would have an 8' bed.

Ducstrom

I don't beat the crap out of my trucks offroad, but I do access remote camping spots down active and deactivated logging roads, and what I would consider 'vehicle trails' where you've got to get out to check clearances and fold the mirrors in to fit between trees. I did damage the side steps on one truck on a break over angle and also damaged the front bumper on another truck at a approach angle.

I went from a 2002 GMC 1500 extended cab 6'6" bed, to a 2014 Ram 1500 extended cab 6'4" bed. Both were great for my type of 'offroading'.

I now have a 2019 F350 extended cab 8' bed. I missed the 2" difference going from the GMC to the Ram and swore my next truck would have a bigger bed. I haven't done much 'offroading' with the new truck, but just from driving around town it is going to be noticable in the woods. I don't think the extra size is going to limit where I go, but I know I am going to have to take more care if I don't want to damage things.

I don't regret the decision at all as the long bed has come in handy many times already.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The cqlb configuration is a really good compromise. My friend's got an '05 qcsb with a Lance 825 and he says just too much tail wag. It's got a 2000# load wight difference between the front and back.
My regcab works for my wife and I but with the acquisition of a 3/5 size Boxer it's getting tightand I have a manual.
A qclb with a mild lift and 35's and some real skidplates can go places.

Pnwfullsize

I recently ditched my CCLB for a CCSB. I have been a die hard long bed owner for years, but there were a couple situations i got myself in that pushed me to want a shorter wheel base. I will say, the cargo space is nice, but its much easier to limit what you carry then it is to cut 2 feet off your truck on a trail that you cant get turned around on.

Attachments

• IMG_20190805_193848_837.jpg
    IMG_20190805_193848_837.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48

billiebob

On a full size, quad cab pickup the extra wheelbase of a longbox is not a real significant difference. You are already in a monster of a truck anyway even with the shortbox.

And the longer wheelbase is easier to backup till you get to a good spot to turn around.

Grassland

Reg cab 8' bed all day long. Quad cab 8' bed maybe. Crew cab 8' bed... Too much hassle. I had a fleet Ram 2500 quad 8' and just driving in town it was annoying.
Break over, turning radius, etc. All horrible.
But you get tons of room. Depends where you drive it really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998