Ranch Hand Bumper Review on Ford F250

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Yeah, a good quality/engineered grill guard/BUMPER is completely different then the chrome bolt on/pimpin ones you purchase from the discount auto parts stores. For example, my ARB on the front of my FJ60 saved my truck from being totaled when a guy ran a stop sign and I placed the front end of my 60 into the passenger side of his minivan. His insurance totaled the mini van and purchased me a new ARB and paint job ( no bodywork damage, just paint damage due to the side window exploding onto my hood). The engineering in an ARB BUMPER/ grillguard most likely saved me and my truck. I feel the same way about my RH on my trucks. One 100lb white tail bouncing off your RH and leaving only fur and poo will make you a believer as well. Good luck!

IMG_3338.JPGIMG_3339.JPGIMG_3342.JPGIMG_3344.JPGIMG_3348.JPGIMG_3349.JPG

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Those ARB bumpers are not bolt on grill guards.

Those are bumpers with built in grill guards!

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
ARB is definitely a great way to go.

Even being so massive, they look pretty good on the 2011-16 super duty trucks.

I have the ARB modular on my 2011. It will eventually house a 15k+ winch

44093842902_34174c2bdd_b.jpg

MR. ED

Observer
IdaSHO....I was certain that was a Buckstop. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the ARB. It was on my radar but I thought it was seeming kinda lightweight. Thanks

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
A lot of different ideas about overland bumpers. How much does that RanchHand weigh? With a 150 pound winch and 200 pound carrier and cromoly wings and radiator saver I did have enough steel to thwart the designs of a large bull elk who towered over the hood, mostly because, once I knew that there was no escape I aimed for the center of the front end where there is the most shear strength. It was like hitting a brick wall even with 16.5K pounds of truck/camper/jeep/trailer. I agree those flimsy wings or stock, thin metal bumpers are approaching worthless. I have made my peace with weight savings over protection and stand to take whatever shows up in the headlights. Essential add-ons are those 26K pound cement mixer D rings and front 10K pound receiver. They will be there even after you pull the winch right off the truck, which is the weak point of my system, regardless of what Warn engineers say.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
IdaSHO....I was certain that was a Buckstop. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the ARB. It was on my radar but I thought it was seeming kinda lightweight. Thanks

Its an ARB modular. Fantastic so far, and the build quality is impressive, to say the least.
It is "lightweight" compared to some, but it is designed that way. It isnt just one big slab of metal, it is an engineered bumper.
All of the steel is fairly light gauge, with significant webbing. Makes for one sturdy bumper, without adding a ton of weight.

And a few of the not-so obvious benefits...

You reuse the factory tow hooks.
Winch ready, believe up to a 16,500 warn.
Excellent factory fog lights.
Excellent coating.
Its "modular" in that the bull bar, and brush guards are bolt on units. So you can run it as just the bumper, bumper and bull bar, or the whole thing.
I started adding up the cost of a simple deer hit to the front end of this truck, and the answer was simple. Just 1 hit and the bumper should pay for itself.

The bumper is big though, and deep. It has to be to provide room for the big winch.
Cool side effect is that the top of the bumper is a very nice flat surface.

Great for holding your drink!
Also serves as a fantastic work platform to stand on while servicing the engine.
Old truck I needed a step stool. Not this one!

Copperhead14

Observer
I have ranch hand side steps. They left plenty of wire and welding crap on them. The powder coating lasted about a year and I had to strip and repaint. Very poor prep prior to powder coat. I will not buy anymore products from them. LOD will get my money for bumpers.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Its an ARB modular. Fantastic so far, and the build quality is impressive, to say the least.
It is "lightweight" compared to some, but it is designed that way. It isnt just one big slab of metal, it is an engineered bumper.
All of the steel is fairly light gauge, with significant webbing. Makes for one sturdy bumper, without adding a ton of weight.

And a few of the not-so obvious benefits...

You reuse the factory tow hooks.
Winch ready, believe up to a 16,500 warn.
Excellent factory fog lights.
Excellent coating.
Its "modular" in that the bull bar, and brush guards are bolt on units. So you can run it as just the bumper, bumper and bull bar, or the whole thing.
I started adding up the cost of a simple deer hit to the front end of this truck, and the answer was simple. Just 1 hit and the bumper should pay for itself.

The bumper is big though, and deep. It has to be to provide room for the big winch.
Cool side effect is that the top of the bumper is a very nice flat surface.

Great for holding your drink!
Also serves as a fantastic work platform to stand on while servicing the engine.
Old truck I needed a step stool. Not this one!
Kenny, quite a good report on the arb, especially since nothing gets by you. If this had been around back when I was doing the front end, I would certainly have bought one just on your recommendation.
jefe

MR. ED

Observer
IdaShow. Thanks for the info. I had a Ranch Hand on my old Dodge that had 3 deer hits on it, there was only a little bump on some of the front diamond plate. Super beefy indeed, but really heavy. I would love an ARB on my truck, but $2500 is a ton of money for a bumper.

Oilbrnr

Try hitting a bull elk. That will wake you up. ARB is pretty good, but if you have a Toyota, Slee. Period. That Ranch Hand stuff looks like you hit a lawn chair and it unfortunately stuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12