Random Climbing Photos

Elliot Press

Observer
The first 4 are in the Alps. (Mont Blanc Massif) 2 of Mount Maudit, Aiguille Noir de Peuterey, Tour Ronde

the rest are from Canada. Athabasca and Assiniboine

awesome! I'm off to Chamonix in a few weeks for a 5 week trip.
CAn you recommend any decent mountains that are suitable for a beginner/intermediate solo alpine climb?

ssssnake529

Explorer
awesome! I'm off to Chamonix in a few weeks for a 5 week trip.
CAn you recommend any decent mountains that are suitable for a beginner/intermediate solo alpine climb?

Midi/Plan traverse maybe.

Not a lot of good solo opportunities for a beginner up on the glaciers, as falling in a crevasse is always a possibility.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Midi/Plan traverse maybe.

Not a lot of good solo opportunities for a beginner up on the glaciers, as falling in a crevasse is always a possibility.

Mountaineering guides were invented in the Alps so if you can't find anybody else to climb with you will be able to find a reputable guide organization. One advantage of hiring a guide in an unfamiliar place is they know the conditions.

On the other hand, since you're going during winter...

The skiing/snowboarding in the Chamonix valley really is top banana. There are a bunch of great ski areas and you can also take the cable car up to Aguille du Midi and ski down the Vallee Blanche glacier back to Chamonix. Except for the first steep slope its easy (borderline flat and mind over matter on a snowboard) as long as you don't fall in a crevasse but the setting is truly awesome. Most parties hire a guide here, too.

Enjoy your trip -- I'm jealous!

Elliot Press

Observer
Just got back from a month of climbing in the French Alps.

Got loads of pics but have not uploaded many.

P1050995.jpg

More to come later

jrueppel

Adventurer
A few photos from last summer's outing to the grotto....Enjoy!
(there's a few nice boondock camping areas around there too if you're driving across the Sierra's and the NATL. park camp grounds are full.)

John Hovell - going for a flight.
4728169473_f183177223_b.jpg

Jim Smith - gritting it out on Rawhide 10d
4728811338_148d88343c_b.jpg

Marlin Lathrop - working his way up next to AC Devil Dog
4595867997_d28a1ee38d_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12