• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Guess what's starting...:wings:

i-qmGLDDg-XL.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Cool, I didn't realize there was as big a difference around the globe.

I also didn't know there was a difference in different directions.

I'm just a stumbling shooter that sometimes gets lucky. :elkgrin:

I think I can explain this, which is cool, because I just learned it last night in the ExPo Map Class I attended. You've all seen the corrective declination symbology on various maps, right?
250px-Declination_diagram.jpg

This has to do with the way Transverse Mercator maps are made:
images

And the angle of declination varies significantly depending on your location. Here SoCal, the declination is 14 degrees, it's 12 in western Az, and 11 degrees in eastern AZ. It's 27 degrees in Alaska!
us_mag_declination.gif

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I think I can explain this

:bowdown: great explanation.

@ Trevor
Lucky dude, Being here in florida the opportunity for fall colors is minimal everything is almost always green but here in another month or so I will be on the hunt myself. Hoping to find some oaks changing or something lol.

DarinM

Explorer
A picture I took last month near Platoro, Colorado.

P8150035.jpg

And kind of a creepy picture of my dad.

P8180011.jpg

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I think I can explain this, which is cool, because I just learned it last night in the ExPo Map Class I attended. You've all seen the corrective declination symbology on various maps, right?

This has to do with the way Transverse Mercator maps are made:

And the angle of declination varies significantly depending on your location. Here SoCal, the declination is 14 degrees, it's 12 in western Az, and 11 degrees in eastern AZ. It's 27 degrees in Alaska!

I don't think this is related to how we perceive the star movement, which is actually the earth spinning, not the stars moving.

I understand the magnetic declination and how that effects our map orientation to true North around the globe but I don't think that explains why the perceived star movement's speed would change as you move farther North as John stated.

I have to correct my one statement about not understanding why it would be different depending on the direction of view. Since the Earth is rotating on it's axis, the North star appears to us as the center of that rotation. So of course the farther East or West you shift you view from the North star center, the stars will move across our sky at much faster rate being farther out on that circular rotation. Hence, the longer star trails farther out from the North star for the same time duration of exposure.

That being said, I still don't understand why the timing of that movement would change as you head farther North on the globe we live on? :confused:

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
i have never seen any changes in exposure time no matter where i have gone in the world.

i can shoot iso 2000, F1.4 and a 24mm lens at 20 seconds and freeze the entire milky way and have it more visible in the sky than just by looking up up at it. I dont think it has anything to do with the magnetic fields of the earth or how maps are made/ projected.

Last edited:

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
here is some proof, the bottom image of this pano was exposed for longer than my standard exposure listed above but it was a reflection of the stars in the lake so its much darker

6157620635_3e62d0db6e_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman