Range Rover Evoque

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Well, I saw the new Evoque first hand tonight at Land Rover Tulsa's open house. It doesnt look as bad in person, but it still looks bad and I dont like it. Just watching the crowd and eavesdropping, I didnt hear too many oohhs and aahhs. There were a couple, but the comments were coming from ladies (not a slam, just stating thats where the compliments were coming from).

Personally, I wonder if the Evoque is going to take the place of the LR2? The Evoque (according to one of the techs) is built on the LR2 chassis. They're about the same size, both dont have low range or terrain response. Both just have the down hill descent control. From inside, the view outward didnt seem to be that bad. Even with the shorter glass.

Basically, it's a suped up LR2 with a Range Rover badge.

Ironically, there seemed to be more dealer and LRNA people there than invited customers. Hopefully LR will hold on to the LR4s and the LR3s will last. The new RR comes out next year. I dont know what changes LR has in store, but I think those will continue to be out of my price range.

LR is definitely moving towards the urban, mall crawler, soccer mom, square toed shoes, bedazzled skinny jeans with back pocket flaps, and moussed hair crowd. No more mud, canoes on top, knobby tires, fishing poles and shotguns advertised with their vehicles.

Too bad:mad:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I hear you- I think you are actually a little off on the assumption on the Evoque replacing the LR2- Those are two totally different markets now.
Land Rover has officially separated the two again (as in there in now Land Rover North America and Range Rover North America)
The two will be moving away from each other in association - as in the old step system of models we have grown accustomed to in this country will end for Land Rover in general, and now default to the two brands: I.E.: there will be the Range Rover Evoque, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover MIII (or what ever number they assign it next). Then there will be the Land Rover LR2 and LR4 (5) and what ever else they decide to add to the mix.
Either way- I went last night with my wife to look at the 2011 Jeep Rubicons, and she came home with one- It is the end of an era of love for me with Land Rover. It was just stunning that my wife (whom I thought would want a Grand Cherokee- or 09 Commander- or new LR4) got in a Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited, and took it for a test drive and instantly fell in love with it!
: ( for the Rover love
: ) for the Jeep Love

D

Then there will be the Land Rover LR2 and LR4 (5) and what ever else they decide to add to the mix.

Land Rover have announced they will be doing away with alpha-numeric, and going back to the old names. Freelander and Discovery.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Land Rover have announced they will be doing away with alpha-numeric, and going back to the old names. Freelander and Discovery.

Where did you hear/read that? If that is true, then LR will now be almost as bad as american car companies changing model names, adding, deleting models, etc.

Geez.

Snagger

Explorer
Well, I saw the new Evoque first hand tonight at Land Rover Tulsa's open house. It doesnt look as bad in person, but it still looks bad and I dont like it. Just watching the crowd and eavesdropping, I didnt hear too many oohhs and aahhs. There were a couple, but the comments were coming from ladies (not a slam, just stating thats where the compliments were coming from).

Personally, I wonder if the Evoque is going to take the place of the LR2? The Evoque (according to one of the techs) is built on the LR2 chassis. They're about the same size, both dont have low range or terrain response. Both just have the down hill descent control. From inside, the view outward didnt seem to be that bad. Even with the shorter glass.

Basically, it's a suped up LR2 with a Range Rover badge.

Ironically, there seemed to be more dealer and LRNA people there than invited customers. Hopefully LR will hold on to the LR4s and the LR3s will last. The new RR comes out next year. I dont know what changes LR has in store, but I think those will continue to be out of my price range.

LR is definitely moving towards the urban, mall crawler, soccer mom, square toed shoes, bedazzled skinny jeans with back pocket flaps, and moussed hair crowd. No more mud, canoes on top, knobby tires, fishing poles and shotguns advertised with their vehicles.

Too bad:mad:

I think the LR2 is what is called a Freelander 2 in Europe. Certainly they share most of the underpinnings with the Evoque, but it'll be a glam stable-mate, not a replacement. It's directly comparable to the Discovery 3 and 4 (LR3) and Range Rover Sport; same chassis and mechanicals, just a fancier body with less seats and space and a bigger price.

In both cases, I much prefer the aesthetics of the RR badged models, but would chose the practicality of the LR badged models, but that's a choice each person will make on their own merits and needs. Of course, Im already on record as saying I'd never have a Sport or D3 because of their maintenance issues, and I'm not really interested in Freelanders or Evoques anyway, but hypothetically I'd go for the more practical models while mildly envying the looks of the prestige models.

eastrnma

For what it's worth, after driving my new Evoque for a couple of months now it's the best vehicle I've owned.

REDROVER

Explorer
HOW MUCH is this mall crawler anyways? as far as impressions that every one has been driving one, now go see and drive ford explorer echo boost , then we will talk IMPRESSION :) for much lees you get much more and its not wanna be

ERIC

Sean VHA #60013

Adventurer
The Evoque is everything a Land Rover should not be: it looks like a melted cough drop, with Rat-Rod chop-top poor visability, lowrider rims, & enough plastic in the front "bumper" to make a coca-cola truck load of 20oz soda bottles, has no transfer case hi-lo range, etc etc....I will continue my brand of "green" philosophy & keep recycling old iron.... :ylsmoke:

discotdi

Adventurer
Nah, the current vehicle is capable of over 30 MPG without sounding like a canal boat, why diesel? You'd loose too much of the driving experience.

Just my 2 cents :)
I prefer the "diesel" experience love the sound, the torque, and the 50 mpg. Would imagine it is even better off road due to the torque curve. It is rated at 28 mpg not 30.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle