Range Rover Sport 2010 potential buyer

Humvette

Adventurer
Guys,
My wife and i are looking to enlarge our family so i am starting to so some research now. I like the RRS Range Rover Sport especially 2010 and newer. Does anyone have any experience with them. I am looking at the NA or Not supercharged one. It will just be used for driving around the city and carting kids. I will still keep the vette, h1 and f250.
Thanks,
Mark

PhyrraM

Adventurer
RRS 2006-2009 is essentially a 2 row, albeit nicer appointed, LR3 - with all the same strengths and weaknesses. So I would start your research there.

Same thing goes for the 2010+ RRS and the LR4.

Eniam17

Adventurer
My friends who are tech's have seen a noticeable improvement in quality in 08+ LR3's and RRS's. Less electrical issues, diff issues, etc. The LR3/4 and RRS are all know to go through brakes and tires every 25-40k depending on how you drive, and also control arms. There are many people reporting very positive experiences with the newer RRS's, especially the 2010's and above. rangerovers.net has a very active RRS forum with a lot of great info. that might help you as well.

Eniam17

Adventurer
Scott are you talking about relevance for overlanding/off-roading or relevance in Rover's lineup all together as in "why did they even come out with this vehicle?" Just curious. The RRS seems to be a vehicle that people either love or hate.

discotdi

Adventurer
Either buy an LR3/4 or the big body MKIII Range Rover.

I have never understood the relevance of the sport.

People like the style, looks, and price it's as simple as that. It's the best selling most popular Land Rover model.
People buy what they like the looks of. The LR4 Is no doubt the best all around practical Land Rover available. But everyday I see people walk around the LR4 to get to the Sport, even when the LR4 would be the best vehicle for them. People poo poo the LR4 because of its square body or just as likely the lack of "range Rover" on the hood.
The RR Sport does drive great but it's small if you have a couple of kids.
The 2010 to 2013 is a great vehicle. 2012+ gives you power lift gate and Bluetooth streaming audio. Otherwise 10 to 13 basically the same.

Last edited:

Humvette

Adventurer
I really just like how they look and the wife does too. This will be the in city SUV, no travel really. We would take the f250 for that. My ice does not like driving or trying to park large vehicles. That is why I am interested.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The Sport has all the same off road goodies that the LR4 has, just maybe not as good of approach/departure angles.

With regards to the spot in the lineup, I analogize it for people like this.

Range Rover: 7 series BMW
Range Rover Sport: 5 series BMW
Evoque: 3 series BMW

LR4: Mercedes E class wagon

Seems to clear the waters for a lot of the buyers here...

Discotdi it sounds like you are in sales with the brand as well. Cheers

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott are you talking about relevance for overlanding/off-roading or relevance in Rover's lineup all together as in "why did they even come out with this vehicle?" Just curious. The RRS seems to be a vehicle that people either love or hate.

They are Land Rovers. From a product perspective, "Sport" and "Land Rover" don't mix IMHO. The LR4 is just a better vehicle from my perspective, but I suspect the "Range Rover" badge is the draw. But if that is the case, buy a little bit older MKIII - now that is a wonderful vehicle.

I love the MKIII Range Rover and I am really starting to enjoy the LR4. Both are true to heritage and purpose.

Just my perspective, I am sure people love their Sports. . .

David Harris

Expedition Leader
They are Land Rovers. From a product perspective, "Sport" and "Land Rover" don't mix IMHO. The LR4 is just a better vehicle from my perspective, but I suspect the "Range Rover" badge is the draw. But if that is the case, buy a little bit older MKIII - now that is a wonderful vehicle.

I love the MKIII Range Rover and I am really starting to enjoy the LR4. Both are true to heritage and purpose.

Just my perspective, I am sure people love their Sports. . .

Agree. Land Rover figured out a while back that all you have to do is put "Range Rover" on a vehicle and sales go up. Outside of the Series/Defender, the Range Rover concept embodies all the heritage, performance, style and prestige of the brand. Regardless, the only true Range Rover is the big one, or, as Jeremy Clarkson puts it, the one with a proper tailgate. . . ;)

David

discotdi

Adventurer
I really just like how they look and the wife does too. This will be the in city SUV, no travel really. We would take the f250 for that. My ice does not like driving or trying to park large vehicles. That is why I am interested.

Enough said. Buy it. It will exceed your expectations. Besides what's the alternative, An X5? No way.
Most folks here are too focused on off road ability, when you don't really need it. It's stable, handles well, good in the snow or rain, great safety, holds the kids, the shopping, and the dog. Boom, now just find one with LR certified warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78