Rango.....1942 Willys MB

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
A little bit tonight after work...

I got the drivers side rocker mounted up after some slight mods and some new paint. I ended up having to make the notch for the axe handle larger than I had originally planned. I could have cut about 1/4" less off the rocker but I would have had to fight to get the axe in and out. The axe is already enough of a pain in the butt so I decided not to fight it any more.

I did remember to document one of the little tricks.

I came up with a little mod to the axe handle mount on the front. The bottom hole is in the bottom lip of the body right where the new rocker need to go. If you double nut the back of the bracket you can leave it loose on the outside while you install the rocker onto the body. You also need to change the hole in the body to a notch open to the bottom. Once the rocker is in place you can tighten the outer nut down to tighten everything up.

Once the pain dries I can install the pioneer tools and the new skidplate project is just about done. I had a few new goodies show up in the mail today so those will be going in soon!

I will be following you with the Ultimate Adventure this year. You represent a type of trail rig that there are fewer of on the trails anymore. I have a CJ 5.5, 90" wheelbase D30/44 lockers, selectable in the rear running 35's and 4.10 ratio. A Chev 4.3 Holley 470, TH350 to a 80 scout D300 4:1 powered. I built it in 08 and just make improvements as needed. I remember the first time I saw your build I went out trying to make a deal on a 42 GPW body to swap over. Good luck and it goes without saying have fun.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Trying not to be a slacker with this thread....trying....

Another night down....

Got locker? I do! This was kinda forced on the UA timetable since I HAVE to have one per the rules, but it was in the works since the beginning really. The install went pretty smooth, but I am really glad I made some setup bearings before I tackled it. The case spreader I made during the 1st round of gear installs came in really handy too.

The install went pretty good. I didn't have to change pinion depth since I was using the same ring gear, but it was a little bit of a trail and error thing to get the backlash in spec with the proper preload. The shim stack changed on both sides slightly, but getting back to .006" backlash only required a handful of shim changes....ok....like 10 to get it where I wanted, but that is why I made setup bearings!

Does anyone need a 30 spline D44 Power-lok? It could use some new clutches but it has always been pretty good for me.

Tomorrow I am going to see about adding some seals in the floater conversion....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Small ox locker issue.....

Took a little google-**** to find this.

OX'ing My Dana 44

Dang it.

I guess tomorrow I have to make a 1/8" spacer cover for my early CJ5 based housing.

Kinda lame.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I did at get a few other stuff done...

I bored the back of the full float spacers so I could add a seal. I couldn't find a boring bar so I had to improvise another way to make the counterbore with what I had.

I am going to us these seals I bought from Trail Gear.

https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/Rock_Assualt_9__Inner_Axle_Seal/i_0_0_4517/_144020.aspx#.U5EyfPldWos

Hopefully that will keep most of the diff fluid out of the wheel bearings.

I also got the wheel bearings repacked and the spindle seals replaced. I need to clean up the rotors and replace the brake pads tomorrow. If I can get my ox locker cover spacer made that should let me button up the rear axle.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
A productive weekend. I didn't really take a lot of pictures though, my hands where pretty dang dirty with nasty stuff....

I got the rear axle all buttoned up. I ended up making a 1/8" aluminum shim for the diff cover. That fixed the clearance issue I was having with the shift fork. The rest of the work was cleaning up the rotors and replacing the brake pads that where covered in gear lube.

I also replaced the front axle shafts with some new alloy units from Nitro Gear and Axle along with one of there aluminum diff covers. Clearance between the diff cover and tie rod is TIGHT. It doesn't hit but it is very close, if I had more steering angle it might be an issue. I will be keeping my stock shafts for trail spares.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have been plugging away at installing my new onboard air system....

I still have another evening or two of work but it is getting closer...

skibum315

Explorer
Very cool ... bummer about the OX clearance issue, but even so I'm a big fan of their cable-actuated concept towards selectable lockers.

Thanks for taking the time to keep the updates coming, build threads like this are always entertaining.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Very cool ... bummer about the OX clearance issue, but even so I'm a big fan of their cable-actuated concept towards selectable lockers.

Thanks for taking the time to keep the updates coming, build threads like this are always entertaining.

I have the new air shifted version of the ox-locker with the cylinder integrated into the diff cover just to clarify.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle