Raptor vs Power Wagon

haven

Expedition Leader
The $38K Ford F150 Raptor and the $45K Dodge Power Wagon are two of the most desirable and interesting new pickup trucks available today. Pickuptrucks.com has the first article I've seen that compares actual production models of these vehicles. Read it here:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/1...f150-svt-raptor-vs-dodge-ram-power-wagon.html

Each truck has its strengths. Both can be used for adventure travel, provided you respect the limitations of each vehicle.

What aspects of design and performance attract you to these trucks?

Chip Haven

Aggie

Adventurer
For my use, my Power Wagon rocks. 4 True Doors, spacious cab, 10,500 lb towing capacity, room for 35's, winch for recovery, and locking front and rear diffs when i am in a wierd spot make it ideal for the slow going trail running i do. We don't have any wide open fast places here in Texas.

And I think the Price comparison is a bit misleading. I bought my 09 Power Wagon for 33K, even though the sticker was 47K. I do not believe the Raptor will go for much lower than the Sticker for a while do to the SVT on the side.

fowldarr

Explorer
If I was basing my decision on visual appeal, that raptor makes me feel more like a man just looking at it. But ultimately the power wagons options for the type of wheeling I do, would be the better package.

jcbrandon

Explorer
...What aspects of design and performance attract you to these trucks?

The Dodge Power Wagon is my idea of a factory-built overland travel vehicle. The passenger cabin is as well-appointed as any truck around and can be optioned for long-distance comfort with things like satellite radio and heated seats. It seats four adults comfortably, has lots of built-in storage compartments, and the rear seat folds up and away leaving a flat load floor with tie-down points. The rear doors open to nearly 90 degrees for easy loading and unloading.

Out back you've got a giant open cargo bay with a usable 2,000-pound payload.

Underneath you've got factory locking diffs, super-stout running gear, an armored belly, 4:56 axle ratios, and 32 inches of front axle articulation. Plus a 12,000-pound winch and the electrical system to handle it. The truck also has a usable fuel range approaching 400 miles.

With all that said, I'm intrigued by the Ford Raptor. I've seen two on the road since they were introduced. Haven't seen one on the dirt yet. And I would love an opportunity to drive one.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I'm glad they did a real world comparision!
I'll take the Raptor.
The '10 PW is just ridiculously long. 100 point turns and high-centering are going to be regular occurances.
You might as well get a 2500 Cummins CC because neither is going to fit on any trails and the Cummins will tow much better.

My choice-
#1 - '06-'09 PW
#2 - Raptor
#3 - Cummins Ram ext. cab

howell_jd

Adventurer
Nice comparison. I have a Ford F550 and have driven Ram 1500 and Ram 3500 too. The off road capability coupled with work-truck performance is tops for me so if I had to pick one of these two, the Dodge would be for me...but I'm happy with what I've got all the same!

angusdevil

Adventurer
It all depends... here in WI, I would get the PowerWagon but if I were still in AZ, I would lean more to the Raptor. It's all in what you need for wheeling.

Desolation

Adventurer
Ummm... If I was to make a choice: The Ford, it should cover more ground quickly and be much more maneuverable; which is more my style.
Both have their points, glad they make em, I simply can not justify ether of them. They both look ok, I would say neither looks good, and both are loaded with gadgets and doodads that I do not need/want, thus I would bet that the price for what I would buy, were it available could be $10,000 less, of course that will never happen. Ya, I'd go with the Ford for all around duty.:coffeedrink:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I duuno. If you were to ask me, I would take the Power Wagon with the Raptor body. I love the looks of the Raptor.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Raptor Specs:

Wheelbase (in): 133.1
Length (in): 222.1
Width (in): 86.6
Height (in): 78.4
Curb Weight (lb): 5,888
Ground clearance f/r (in): 11.2
Approach (deg): 29.8
Departure (deg): 26.1
Breakover (deg): 20.8
Max Towing capacity (lb): 6,000
Fuel capacity (gal): 26.0
HP: 320
Torque: 390

'09 Power Wagon Specs:

Wheelbase: 140.5"
Length: 227.7"
Width: 79.8"
Height: 80.6"
Curb Weight: 6,081 lbs
Front Axle Ground Clearance: 8.4"
Rear Axle Ground Clearance: 8.3"
Approach Angle: 35°
Breakover Angle: 25.5°
Departure Angle: 26.5°
Towing capacity: 10,500 pound
Payload capacity: 2200 pounds
Fuel capacity (gal): 34.0
HP: 383
Torque: 404

'10 Power Wagon changes from above:

Wheelbase 148.9
Overall Length 237.4
Overall Height 80.7

As a slightly biased owner of a an '09 Power Wagon, I'm not interested in the Raptor for a couple reasons.

First and foremost it's too wide. That extra 6.5" of width will be a real problem. It won't fit on trails I've been thru. No way, no how. I've already pinstripped the heck outta my truck, squeeeeeeeeeked it thru trees and bushes the Raptor won't physically get thru. Ol' Cactus Red looks pretty nice until you get close to it and see all the heavy scratches in it.

Secondly, the 05 to 09 PW is a better trail truck, work truck, tow truck, and dare I say it, much more durable truck than the Raptor. The PW uses 1 ton axles under a 3/4T rated truck. The frame is massive, and will hold up better over years of abuse and use. The stock motor has more power and torque - probably won't get better mileage than a Raptor tho. Throw in the rest of the PW package, and while it may not go as fast as a Raptor, it will go anywhere a Raptor can. Can't say the same thing in reverse tho.

Will the Raptor ride better? Yes. Will a Raptor go faster over terrain? Yes. Will a Raptor haul a camper, even a light weight 4 wheel camper? No. At less than a 1000 Lbs capacity, a Raptor can't haul 4 passenges and a 700 Lb camper without going over it's limit.

IMO the Raptor is a very specialized desert race truck. It does that very, very well.

A Power Wagon is kinda like a Leatherman tool. It will do damn near anything you ask it to, and do it pretty well too boot.

Later!

Mark

78Bronco

Explorer
This comparison is apples and oranges. 1/2ton vs 3/4ton platforms obviously different. Raptor is designed for highspeed bumpy stuff vs power wagon low speed hauling a load, obviously different applications. Sure they are both fullsize domestics but totally different intended uses, so this thread is LAME.:coffeedrink:

Stan the Man

Adventurer
This comparison is apples and oranges. 1/2ton vs 3/4ton platforms obviously different. Raptor is designed for highspeed bumpy stuff vs power wagon low speed hauling a load, obviously different applications. Sure they are both fullsize domestics but totally different intended uses, so this thread is LAME.:coffeedrink:

Agreed. I would never want to take the Raptor on a trail. Those fiberglass fenders would be gone in seconds. The PW is too long to fit on most trails also, so they both will suck for a lot of the overlanding trails; but both would make sweet DD's.

If I was planning on using it to remodel a house, go get a christmas tree and the like, I'd get the PW. If I was heading down to the beach (Pismo), I'd definitely get Raptor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears