Rath's Trailer build - We're done!!!

andysgreenxj

Observer
I would leave the tongue longer for now, at least until you triangulate it...if you intend to take this trailer on the trail, you will want to be able to jack knife it around tight turns. Also, i would suggest either a wheel spacer, or different wheel...there is not enough clearance for suspension flex...the tires will hit the body. not trying to be critical...I like your little tag along, looks really good:cool::cool:

Rath

few more things showed up today. including wheel spacers and lights! tossed the spacers on so there's now no more rubbing!

also got the wood stained today, mostly. still have to do the other side but I'm really happy with the colour it turned out

before and after spacers

iLaa15Lh.jpg

JLgKWaFh.jpg

6JlSPtOh.jpg

yes, I know some people don't like spacers. We're not gonna get into that lol. I have had this brand on a vehicle before, a vehicle much heavier than this trailer, and have had zero issues so we're gonna be fine.

and the wood, before and after the stain. Which is actually a penetrating oil, but its easier to call it stain lol

AsrGG5xh.jpg

KJIjvuvh.jpg

Rath

I would leave the tongue longer for now, at least until you triangulate it...if you intend to take this trailer on the trail, you will want to be able to jack knife it around tight turns. Also, i would suggest either a wheel spacer, or different wheel...there is not enough clearance for suspension flex...the tires will hit the body. not trying to be critical...I like your little tag along, looks really good:cool::cool:

haha yes, spacers were on the list from the start, as you can see above. just had to wait for them to show up.

I'll be leaving the tongue how it is for now, at least for a few test pulls and see how it feels. I actually took a measurement, and the total trailer length including tongue is within 1 inch of my trucks wheelbase. which is actually really nice! so I'll likely end up leaving it

Rath

thanks!

more tongue work today. I also test sprayed a leftover piece of steel today to see how well the paint I have holds up. in theory, it should be good, and it would save me $$ from having to buy new stuff.

ErO1Od0h.jpg

T1Zx8F8h.jpg

g18hF3Gh.jpg

X42BmmMh.jpg

yep, it's a pretty shallow triangulation. but the strength is there, and it still gives me *just* enough room to 90 degree it when attached and not hit anything with the truck. so it's perfect imo.

Rath

started working on the tongue more today, getting the pintle ring situation started.

7do5I7kh.jpg

ikL9yCxh.jpg

I'll be welding flat steel to cover the cut area. I will also be adding some extra metal around it before, and after the pin, just to add some strenth there.

bUfIJyKh.jpg

also grabbed some sheet for the lid. likely going to rivet these on

BYNiChNh.jpg

Rath

Got the end of the tongue plated up, and there is zero slop at all in the pintle ring now! Perfection. I am still going to run a strap around the entire thing for added strength.

0yjKJCJh.jpg

m2kGA9eh.jpg

VrGZ6jlh.jpg

But, that was done enough for me to get it hooked up to the truck for a little test pull! Mainly testing things like how it tracks, handles bumps, make sure it pulls good etc. It was a successful test pull. here are some photos.

16U3AjTh.jpg

dZrQAnCh.jpg

mqLsLxmh.jpg

Testing the jack knifing capabilities. I'm super happy with this.

wiASIAZh.jpg

nxqRcGsh.jpg

byb7oU6h.jpg

And of course, had to test the off road capabilities (as best I could with staying right near home, anyways)

aarRYxYh.jpg

ZgYSgENh.jpg

AEqbh67h.jpg

ITTOG

Where did you get those hinges. They look nice and I may want to copy you.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Rath

I got the from Princess Auto.

Theyre just Bullet Hinges though, can get them all kinds of places. Went with this style since it makes the lid removable very easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78