RE-introduction, back in a Land Rover again

pokeyYJ

Observer
Hey guys, thought I would introduce myself, again.

I joined a while ago when I bought an 88 Classic and was going to turn it into an weekend expedition rig. Well, I sold it when I had someone make me an offer that I couldn't refuse... ha!

I have had a few Rover's since then, but none that I was going to own for a long period of time. Recently I bought a 95 Disco that I was going to try and build up, but gave up on it because it was just a little too big of a project being that it basically needed to be completely rebuilt before I could start prepping it for expedition travel. I did take it to Moab before I sold it though, it was a fun rig, the previous owner added the Safari Gard bumper and lift and rear long travel kit and HD trailing arms.

38450_443040345742_513970742_6561108_8177584_n.jpg

37711_443169655742_513970742_6563857_90434_n.jpg

After deciding that the 95 was a bit more than I wanted to bite off, I sold it and bought this 2002 Range Rover 4.6 HSE.

35618_10150094697840743_513970742_7910281_140975_n.jpg

I have always been a little afraid of the P38, being that they can be electrical nightmares, but this one has 66k on the odo and has been converted to coils and lifted. It is a really nice vehicle, so I figured what the heck, and bought it.

I found a Safety Devices roof rack with wind deflector for an awesome deal and bought it and mounted it up, and then took it wheeling!

164880_10150117855170743_513970742_8317350_4512214_n.jpg

These were taken last weekend on the Pony Express trail in Utah, ended up sliding off the trail in the slippery snow and got stuck (need a winch!)

164792_10150117856950743_513970742_8317383_7920432_n.jpg

168415_10150117858190743_513970742_8317401_681303_n.jpg

168415_10150117858195743_513970742_8317402_1736475_n.jpg

But after some awesome tow strap work we got out and back to the main road, very dirty after that!

168415_10150117858205743_513970742_8317404_3724053_n.jpg

My goals for this Range Rover are to set it up for weekend exploring, I probably won't be doing any cross-continental trips in it so I am not too concerned about the electrical systems in that regard, as long as it can do a couple hundred mile trips without breaking down.

First repairs are to replace the worn out accumulator, and replace the plastic cooling lines that are brittle from age.

I also want to waterproof the BECM as best as possible and the engine compartment fuse box. I will also be trying to arrange an assortment of recovery gear and camping gear for it.

Gotta say, I love this site, and now that I am back in a Rover I will be visiting more frequently

Storz

Explorer
Great looking truck! I think (as with most Rovers) that the horror stories are somewhat overblown, there are hundreds of P38s running around as daily drivers by people who have no idea of their reputation.

I dig the black wheels too.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Welcome back to the family! There's tons of P38's rolling around Charlotte moving kids here and there.

You're on the right track. First thing I always recommend replacing on a used vehicle are all the coolant hoses right away. then change the fluids and filters so you can start from a known baseline for your maintenance schedule. For you, do a good inspection on the spark plugs.

I don't really visit it, but there's a good range rover owners website out there with a lot of information.

good idea to get AAA too! annual fee is much cheaper than a single tow.

pokeyYJ

Observer
What size tires are you running?

Currently running 285/60R18 Toyo Open Country's, they are ok but I would like something a bit skinnier because they do rub the back edge of the front fender well. And my experience with them in snow has not really impressed me.

pint

Adventurer
Good looking rig. I love the P38's! Keep us posted as I am beginning to look for a new rig.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Looks like you had fun out on the Pony Express trail!! How far out were you when you got stuck and were you on the PE trail itself? I haven't been out on the PE trail for many years but then I haven't lived in Utah for years. Nice pictures. I've got to get back out there sometime. I always liked spending time at the Fish Springs Wildlife Refuge.

pokeyYJ

Observer
Looks like you had fun out on the Pony Express trail!! How far out were you when you got stuck and were you on the PE trail itself? I haven't been out on the PE trail for many years but then I haven't lived in Utah for years. Nice pictures. I've got to get back out there sometime. I always liked spending time at the Fish Springs Wildlife Refuge.

It was actually on a side trail called Indian Springs where we got stuck. That was my first trip back there and it definately won't be my last!

spikemd

Explorer
Nice purchase

The P38 gets a bad rap, but I love mine. I also picked up an SD rack, some sliders from a guy on rangerovers.net and a Southdown steering guard. I still have my EAS intact and will eventually get Arnott Gen III bags for some extra lift. Personally, I love the EAS, but it is potentially a source of headaches for most people.

The bad rap P38s got was many from the early vehicles with electrical gremlins and expensive fixes. Now, most everything has been worked out and the Bosch engines 99-02 are much less prone to issues. There is a wealth of knowledge about most any problem on rangerovers.net/forum. And most of the problems are minor fixes, but would kill your pocketbook if you took it into the dealer. For example, some pixels went out on my LCD screen. Fixed it with a piece of electrical tape, cost $0.005. If I had bought a new LCD screen, it would run about $800 for the part, dealer quote probably $1500.

The P38 is a nice vehicle. I love the styling, great interior, excellent seating position. Its a solid vehicle with great traction control, good ground clearance, solid axles front and rear and the 4.6L engine. For a stock vehicle, it is quite capable.

Enjoy!

pokeyYJ

Observer
Well, so far this P38 is giving me headaches, the abs accumulator is worn out, two cracked coolant hoses and now a leaking radiator. All will be replaced this week, hopefully it's the end of repairs for a month or so

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i have been getting mine up to snuff as well. i knew i would have to do this going into the purchase.

So far:

radiator
under-hood fuse box
battery (under warranty)
oil change
coolant change
transmission filter and fluid change
transfer case fluid change
new stereo system
removed most of the EAS system

still need to:

shampoo carpets to get rid of the smoker smell
water proof BECM with liquid electrical tape

Future mods:

winch mount
diff. guards
gas tank skid plate
drawer system
dual battery system
CB radio install
bigger tires
2" lift springs

mine has been really reliable otherwise. the engine is smooth and powerful, the tranny shifts great and low range works!

spikemd

Explorer
There is a factory winch tray that mounts to the factory bullbar. It is a nice clean factory install and there is a cover that makes it quite stealth. The downside, is that it is very hard to find and quite expensive due to limited supply.

winaccss2.JPG

bullbarwincov.JPG

more info on www.rangerovers.net. http://www.rangerovers.net/outfitting/bumpers/factorybump.html

Alan Bates at www.rockrover.com makes a stout winch bumper with or without extra brushguard. He also makes a killer rear bumper.

http://www.rockrover.com/bumper.htm
p1245header.jpg

brush1small.jpg

now if I can just win the lottery....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger