Real life MPG numbers wanted.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
2.5L 2010 Outback CVT Limited 100% stock. With original 4x6 Lifetime tent trailer and yellow top Costco bins on the trailer 21mpg averages 65-70mph. Add bikes to the roof we run 18ish mpg averages. Same trips sans trailer and bikes 29-30mpg pending head winds and keeping it under 75.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
So which TRUCK CAMPERS are you guys carrying? Unless I'm mistaken, lqdchkn, you don't have a camper, and calicamper, you are towing a tent trailer right? It's interesting to hear how other modes do, but not really apples to apples here.

XJINTX

Explorer
2009 F250 6.4 diesel with an FWC Hawk camper. Just returned from a 5,400 mile camping trip... mountains to desert and cold to hot. Highway and logging roads with a lot of mountain roads. I averaged 14.8 miles I admit I am a conscientious driver that very seldom speed with the truck and don't do many fast takeoffs ;)

nobueno

'15 Sierra 3500 diesel carrying outfitter juno 10 and over 1000lbs of people and gear. Got 14mpg going 78 with a pretty good headwind. If there's little wind and I'm willing to go 51 mph I could get 23.

So which TRUCK CAMPERS are you guys carrying? Unless I'm mistaken, lqdchkn, you don't have a camper, and calicamper, you are towing a tent trailer right? It's interesting to hear how other modes do, but not really apples to apples here.

Correct, no camper this was open bed. Ive since added a tonneau but have no real data yet to know if that's doing anything or not.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Retaining stock pizza cutter tires helps heaps with the fuel economy but the truck will sink like a rock offroad.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Yanking your chain ;-)

bumblebus

Observer
On a recent 1,200mi trip in NE Oregon/ID/MT with lots of winds, crazy mtn pass climbs, forest service roads, 60mpg on highways etc. etc. I saw an avg of 10-11mpg with our 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3l v8 and a 1986 8' hard side Six-Pac camper with 70psi Toyo Open Country 10-plys e-rated. While I expected around that I was still a little sad LOL.

On a recent 12 day trip through NE and SE Oregon, we averaged 14.3. The best segment was 15.5, the worst around 13.5. F350 crew cab, long box, 6.7L diesel. Northern Lite 9.6.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
On a recent 12 day trip through NE and SE Oregon, we averaged 14.3. The best segment was 15.5, the worst around 13.5. F350 crew cab, long box, 6.7L diesel. Northern Lite 9.6.

I'm getting about the same. 13-14 towing the Jeep and 15-16 with just the camper. Believe the Cummins and 6 speed manual helps in that regard!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ive found over the years that gearing is everything for Powerstrokes.

Im consistently knocking down 15MPG average with this setup during the warm seasons.
Winter drops to 12 MPG, mostly due to winter fuel I imagine.

We weigh in right about 10k wet, loaded, and full of fuel.

7.3 PSD, 4x4, auto trans, tall 3:55 gears

idacamperheartlake.jpg

::Squish::

Observer
2000 Ford 7.3 power stroke 4x4 long box supercab 6 speed manual. Totally stock engine, intake, tune and exhaust.
2000bigfoot 1500 the small one with no air conditioner on top.

Total rig weight is under 10,000 lbs.
On California diesel we get around 12-14 mpg

zb39

Adventurer
2016 RAM 4.10 Asien I have never calculated by hand because I didn't buy it for milage. My EVIC tells me 9.7 with the AF or pulling the fiver.

Attachments

• IMG_4490.jpg
    IMG_4490.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4489.jpg
    IMG_4489.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4533.jpg
    IMG_4533.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 45

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
With so many variables, you are going to get what you get, mpg-wise. With the Lance Lite on the bed I was happy on many trips getting up to 15 mpg/hand calc. when I had stock tires and wheels, no winch; no upgrade drivetrain parts; no beer, no capability. On 3 trips in the truck camper this spring into summer, the splay was between 11.7 to 14.8 mpg. One variable on the last trip was having two bicycles on the front hitch. At 65 mph, this ate into the mpg much more than I would have thought. I could feel the wind resistance. Another variable on the same trip was the slower speed that we traveled: 40 to 50 mph with some big hills. The mpg shot up to near 15 even with the bicycle wind break on the front and the hills. Another variable was our NV5600, six speed manual trannie. 365 pounds of beef. Cast iron case. No intermediate bearing needed. It's not going to deflect. However: obsolete. Too heavy. There is no speed at which you move that you cannot get into some sort of sweet spot with the rpms between 1600 to 1950 rpms for maximum efficiency. The old Gen II High Output Cummins has torque (505 # ft) all the way down to 700 rpm, unlike some of the newer diesels that sport almost twice the HP and TQ, but in a narrower band. It feels pretty puny now, by comparison; but with no pee canister or DEF tank to spoil your holiday.
The real question is not what mpg you get, but what you do or fix to get the maximum result out of your set up. There was a study done by some governmental entity about 4 or 5 decades ago (so now it is obsolete) that tested a lot of cars to see what the best SPEED was to get the best mpg. In other words, what speed wind resistance and tire deflection negatively effected efficiency. They came up with 43 mph. I know this probably does not apply to trucks with campers on the back, but it was interesting that chrome boat cars from the 60's with bias ply tires, no wind tunnel testing, or smooth slip stream found that speed the most efficient. This corresponds to our mpg while traversing the Mojave Road: 150 miles of dirt and sand. We drove for 4 days, with tires aired down to 30 pounds air pressure, @ about an average of 10 mph, and the fuel gage finally got below 3/4 of a tank.
So speed has a LOT to do with mpg. Gas or diesel has a lot to do with mpg and speed. A diesel uses very little fuel at idle compare to gas.
So, not so simple. Just run whatcha brung and have a good time.
jefe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior