Real World MPG HS vs PU

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Looking to buy my fourth PU truck camper. I've had both hard side and pop-up types in the past. Back when 4WD trucks were relatively affordable, I'd take them into extreme areas off road. After destroying a hardside with this type of travel, I bought a pop up. But now we use ATVs to get deep into the woods and the $60,000+ truck stays on the "safe area"....There is no issue with the campers height any longer.....My question, how much difference is there, real world, in MPG for a hardside VS a popup. Does the extra few inches of height really make that much of a difference (Weight being equal) I'm currently using a RAM 2500, 6.4 HEMI, short bed, 3300# Payload....My own comparisons would not be accurate as these three previous campers were on three different pickup trucks. Thanks

jadmt

ignore button user
What kind of pop up did you buy? Seems like some fit tight and are low profile while others hang out a bit more and not so low profile. Most pop ups are going to be a fair amount lighter too but again I guess depends what you are comparing too. on my 2020 PW I have a GFC and it has not made much if any difference to my mpg at speeds under 80mph or so but it is really light to begin with..

john61ct

Adventurer
Just driving 5mph slower makes much more difference than a few inches poking out.

The other decision factors should take precedence

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998