Real world MPG of 2.7L 4x4 5spd Tacomas?

mike.alison

In the city I get about 11.5L/100km(20.45Mpg) in the city and about 9.9L/100km (23.75 Mpg) on the Highway.

'10 4x4 2.7L 2TR-FE Tacoma AC- currently with 235/85 16 Duratracs, LC Engineering Header, CBI bumpers front and rear, All Pro sliders, OME 885 lift + Dakars, TJM 9000 winch, All Pro skid, Raider topper and Thule Roof bars. The next big thing may be gears, but I'll probably keep it mild (4.56/ maybe 4.88's but I like the 32 size)

I could probably remove the random detritus from the inside ( high lift and sleeping platform but you never know when you'll need either)

TacomaJack09

Observer
In the city I get about 11.5L/100km(20.45Mpg) in the city and about 9.9L/100km (23.75 Mpg) on the Highway.

'10 4x4 2.7L 2TR-FE Tacoma AC- currently with 235/85 16 Duratracs, LC Engineering Header, CBI bumpers front and rear, All Pro sliders, OME 885 lift + Dakars, TJM 9000 winch, All Pro skid, Raider topper and Thule Roof bars. The next big thing may be gears, but I'll probably keep it mild (4.56/ maybe 4.88's but I like the 32 size)

I could probably remove the random detritus from the inside ( high lift and sleeping platform but you never know when you'll need either)

Nice! I hope I can achieve the same once I start modding! Any pics of your rig?

mike.alison

photo.jpgIMG_8292.jpg

I need to get it washed, so no current photos. Currently running the capper, and that was before I put in the winch and header. The other was last year in june, not so much flex as I was still rocking the sway bar and sized the springs for a heavier load. I'm happy with the ride now since its settled, so comfortable with a bit of roll.

Paddy

Adventurer
I got a 2012 reg cab with 33's, 3"lift, and a 5sp. I was at 20mpg before switching to 4.88's and afterwards I'm still at 20mpg. The driving experience is greatly improved though. My gf can actually drive it now. I drive the 4cyl because i like the simplicity and ease of maintenance they offer, plus, it's the only engine available for the reg cab.

Oh, wow, first post!image.jpg

ColeP410

Mine is a '06 AC 2.7 5-speed 4x4. Right now I'm averaging 22-23 with a 50/50 city/highway mix with stock Dunlop 245s on it. I have no complaints on power or ability so far. I've got P265/75R16 Toyo AT2s and a 3 inch lift waiting in the shop as well as a Leer 100R on the way. I'm curious to see how the milage changes.

Revco

Adventurer
My bone stock '01 Reg Cab 4x4 3RZ 4cyl W59 5spd with 4.30s and 265/75/16 BFG ATs gets 21 city and 26 highway mpg. On the way home from work today I confirmed the city mpg because I wanted to be sure that the 21.6 mpg I came up with last time was correct. I got 21.2mpg today. I will confirm the highway mpg again this weekend when I make a highway run to the hill country.

Wow, I wish my mileage is what it was a year ago. Since then the addition of 33" tires, bumpers, sliders, recovery gear, tools, etc. my mileage has dropped substantially since I posted that reply. I'm now getting an average of 18.3mpg per tank, this is a 50/50 split between city and highway driving. I haven't regeared and this is the biggest reason for the mpg drop. The little 2.7 is struggling with the 4.30's and 285/75/16 on steel wheels on the highway.

With those modifications in the last year, I have also come to to the conclusion that mpg doesn't matter as much as it did when I first bought my truck, especially now that its a lot more capable off road than it was.

aardvarcus

Adventurer
2005 Access Cab 5 Speed 4x4, I have been averaged 26.4 mpg over the 12 tanks since I bought it in April. This is 80% highway/open back roads driven conservatively, all stock except with Michelin M/S2 LT235/85R16 tires. I am going to take care to carefully choose any mods I do to not kill the MPG.

246_ft_lbs

I have an 2009 AC 4x4 2.7L 5spd. When I drove from Vancouver, BC up past the Arctic Circle I averaged 11.2 L/100km it was about 8,000km in total. The set up I had was 3" lift, 33's, canopy, sleeping platform, two full sized spares, extra 40L fuel, 20L water, camping supplies including extra tent, recovery gear and dog.
I live in an isolated area of Northern BC where the nearest paved road is almost 500km away. I regularly haul and trailer with my truck, I run 4x4 fulltime during the winter and the truck has not skipped a beat; what I put it through is no easy task either. When loaded down (full canopy, trailer loaded with skidoo, fuel, gear) I averaged about 16L/100km for a 1,600km trip, half was highway and the other half was logging roads. My trailer is the back end of an old Ford 1ton with custom axle to run Toyota rims and 33's, so it's not light either.
I was recently looking at a new Taco with the 4L, but I have my truck set up exactly how I like it now, except that I've stepped up to 34's. It could use a re-gear, and that's on my to do list. When that's done this little platform will be even better.

Arktikos

Explorer
Speaking strictly MPG's (without considering other costs of buying a new vehicle), you're not going to save much by going with a 2.7L. Maybe 3-4MPG, at best. Then you start getting bigger tires, lift, etc., the gap narrows even more.
If you're truly worried about MPG's, you may want to look at a different platform, because no 4x4 Toyota currently gives you anything close to what I would call "Good MPG." .

A 3 to 4 MPG improvement isn't too shabby, and low 20's isn't bad for a Toyota 4x4 either. Consider the single digits or low doubles you could be getting in a Land Cruiser.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle