Reality check on full timing in a pop up? Anyone doing it?

space

My ideal plan is to purchase a truck + camper and make the full time move in. I read a lot on here and WTW, etc, but still am undecided. I'm just hoping I can get a few questions answered. Or any advice period...

Firstly, is anyone full timing in a pop-up, or even a hardside? What is your rig setup?

I understand that with a FWC that water wading/crossing is not doable, water would end up in the camper- is there a way to remedy this?

Does anyone know of other manufacturers that offer shell versions? other than FWC?

Also, does anyone have a pic of a FWC frame only? just the aluminum frame, nothing else...

Space

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Are you asking about a water crossing where water comes inside the bed of the truck? That would have to be really deep water and no bow wave.

I should have a photo of the FWC frame on my computer, will post it up if I can find it. Otherwise I am sure Stan will get you one.

space

Are you asking about a water crossing where water comes inside the bed of the truck? That would have to be really deep water and no bow wave.

I probably won't come across a time where that is the circumstance, but the openness of the camper floor (and the 'trap doors' for the tie downs) as well as the bottom being wood and not aluminum, make me feel uncomfortable. Although I do remember seeing the same thing on Northstar popup campers

NorCalHawk

Explorer
On FWC website there is a picture of the frame only sitting in a truck bed. Go to their webpage-FWC-(find and click) Concept and General Features and you will see a frame. Not sure which model is represented there.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
On FWC website there is a picture of the frame only sitting in a truck bed. Go to their webpage-FWC-(find and click) Concept and General Features and you will see a frame. Not sure which model is represented there.

That is the one that I have saved on my computer. :)

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
I personally know several folks who have and are full-timing in their TC's for a year or two up to 10 years, plus. Their stories are over on RV.net/truck camper forum; no one to my knowledge in a soft side. All hard sides, and not a small footprint either. If you are going to live through cold winters and hot summers, you'll need a lot of insulation. What are you going to do about mold? Waste? Also, the comfort level goes up, way up with bigger tanks, a real bathroom with a shower, and enough wallerin' room to take your hobbies with you and not have to live outside when it's 10 degrees. Read the blog of Tioga George. His synopses of full timing with no hookups and just stealth camping are amazing. Another thing to consider is what are you going to do to whittle away the evenings in the box. What about power? Solar or a generator, the later of which knocks stealth camping off the list. A good place to start would be folks who are full-timing in whatever RV and have an up-to-date blog. Easy to find, and informative. You would just be in a much smaller package. Do try to absorb the experience of others before you jump. Remember it's much easier to Stealth Camp in a rig that does not change shape whether it's lived in or not. Good luck, my friend.
regards, as always, jefe

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Not 100% fulltime but I spend a lot of time in my 4WC Keystone. You are constantly moving stuff around in a pop up. Anything that you put up off the floor has to go back down when you put the roof down. Smart storage solutions are needed in any camper but really important with a pop up. Think about all the things you need when going fulltime, they add up quickly.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
not a tc, but I full time in a 28 ft 5th wheel. I have learned to not have so much stuff, but this past winter was haard. colder then normal. I live with 2 labs, and I know there is no way I could go any smaller for full timing. even with out my side kicks I dont think a tc soft side or hard side would be enough for me. Just my .02 but there you have it. If you have any questions feel free to msg me. oh and on a side note, if I am traveling, I do it in a pick up with a cap and sleeping platform.
Paul

bob91yj

Resident **************
Not 100% fulltime but I spend a lot of time in my 4WC Keystone. You are constantly moving stuff around in a pop up. Anything that you put up off the floor has to go back down when you put the roof down. Smart storage solutions are needed in any camper but really important with a pop up. Think about all the things you need when going fulltime, they add up quickly.

This! Even with the back seat flipped down in my crew cab truck and filled with gear, it's a constant game of moving stuff around, depending on what you are doing at that given moment. As much as we enjoy our camper, not sure I'd want to full time out of it.

As far as water fording deeper than the bed of your truck, a Flip Pac is the only thing that comes to mind that could survive a dunking, but only because none of the Flip Pac parts are that low.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
This! Even with the back seat flipped down in my crew cab truck and filled with gear, it's a constant game of moving stuff around, depending on what you are doing at that given moment. As much as we enjoy our camper, not sure I'd want to full time out of it.

As far as water fording deeper than the bed of your truck, a Flip Pac is the only thing that comes to mind that could survive a dunking, but only because none of the Flip Pac parts are that low.

But the water would still get in the bed around the tailgate - and I assume his set up would still have stuff in the bed - not sure any bed mounted camper will be dry in that deep of a crossing. I full timed in my trailer / RTT and it's doable - but planning is important. I used my backseat as my closet (since I had to work) - I would have been much better if I had not brought 3 bikes. They took a lot of space ; )

We have been living and traveling in our Phoenix pop-up on an 06 tundra since October and loving life. Currently in Costa Rica we will be heading to panama before beading back north to drive the us and canada. We can't imagine going back to 'normal' life!

samc

My ideal plan is to purchase a truck + camper and make the full time move in. I read a lot on here and WTW, etc, but still am undecided. I'm just hoping I can get a few questions answered. Or any advice period...

Firstly, is anyone full timing in a pop-up, or even a hardside? What is your rig setup?

I understand that with a FWC that water wading/crossing is not doable, water would end up in the camper- is there a way to remedy this?

Does anyone know of other manufacturers that offer shell versions? other than FWC?

Also, does anyone have a pic of a FWC frame only? just the aluminum frame, nothing else...

Space

We've been full-timing in our XPCamper since July of 2013. You can read more on our blog:

http://songoftheroad.com

I highly recommend XPCamper if you are looking for an expedition-strength vehicle. It's built on a flat-bed, so the camper is much higher to begin with (re: concerns about water crossings), and it's a mostly hard-sided camper (you can even get hard sides for the part that is normally tent if you choose). In addition, the flat-bed gives you a ton more room to work with inside the camper.

You can check out more of xpcamper here:

http://www.xpcamper.com

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions; it may take a while to respond as we're on the road right now but we'll get to it eventually!

thanks,
sam

Kowboy

Adventurer
I would highly recommend a Hallmark camper in a regular pick-up bed ... and avoid goin' in water deep enuf to flood the camper. Water that deep ain't healthy.

Maybe you should consider a DUKW with a custom camper on it. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78