Really want a Disco II

pint

Adventurer
Starting to look for a new expo rig. No hardcore rock crawling, just back country expeditions to camp, fish, bike, take pics, etc. I will go places a Subaru Forester can't go, but do not need a 6" lift and 37" tires, etc. I've always wanted a Land Rover vehicle. Love the RRC's, but really need something newer for occasional work use...hauling clients, etc. I've read through tons of posts here about the issues with Disco's, but it seems like the 2004 is pretty solid? What are the real issues I should look for/expect? I can do most basic maintenance, but do not want to jump into major electrical issues, etc. Can I get a solid 2004 DII for $13 - $15K? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Chazz Layne

Administrator

pint

Adventurer
Thanks for the info so far. For the price, it seems hard to go wrong with a Disco? An 04 Land Cruiser is $10k more!? I find it hard to justify the difference even having owned a LC?

Last edited:

discodisco

Observer
Take Advantage

I have also been amazed at how cheap a really nice 2004 Disco II can be. Especially comparing it a Range Rover of the same year. It doesn't make any sense to me. We have owned a 2001 Disco II for two years now and I can say the Disco II is the best you can get for the money IMO. We are a family with two little toddlers and I don't need/want and serious rock crawling but we do love to get out into the outdoors and still get to those campsites that need at least a Center Diff Lock and good clearance to get there. If you wanted a rock crawling beast I show you to a D-90. The great thing about the Disco II is lends it self to being very modular. Unlike the new LR3/4 you can basically set up the vehicle for cheap exactly how you want it. Buying it stock (if the suspension is still good) it can take you on a lot of trips. As Chazz said, for under 15,000 you should be able to buy a great vehicle.
Best of luck

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
don't buy a land rover for resale values. you'll never got your money back.

if you want a car investment, buy a mercedes or toyota.

just my two cents.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Thanks for the info so far. For the price, it seems hard to go wrong with a Disco? An 04 Land Cruiser is $10k more!? I find it hard to justify the difference even having owned a LC?

True, but they are very different beasts. I'll probably get flamed for this one, but I'll say it anyhow: If Land Rover had ever made a full-size solid axle SUV, it would have been a Land Cruiser (80-series of course). :)

Both vehicles seem to have just as many quirks (almost all the folks I travel with run LCs), and get about the same gas mileage. It really comes down to which Kool-Aid you think tastes better, and whether you want a full-size or a mid-size.

Storz

Explorer
I love my 02 Disco. It's was a one owner, low mileage car when I bought it last year for 8k. It is 100% stock and has never had any problems getting me where I want to go. I mostly use it for forest road type driving as well and it does great :)

Once you get a LR it's hard to ever want anything else

brushogger

Explorer
I bought a very clean, bone stock, '04 last summer for 12k with 43,000 mi on it. I love it. IMO it is the most road friendly swb truck I've ever had and still has great off road capabilities. If you do your own work it's no more expensive to maintain than anything else. Be prepared to do intake and headgaskets though. Mine were already starting to weep. Cost me about 400 to do it myself vs 1800 at the local Indy shop. It wasn't bad at all and actually was a good way to start learning rover.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have really enjoyed my 02 DII. I purchased mine about 4 years ago for $10k with 47,000 miles. My only advice would be to buy a Disco from someone who has maintained it properly and kept the documentation of that work. That's a good way to find out if that particular car has been plagued with the regular woes, or been neglected. I will say, it's pretty tough to own a DII and escape all of the typical Disco woes. Eventually, something will pop up to snatch some money out of your pocket.

Storz

Explorer
Don't shy away from the earlier years as well, my advice (as with all cars) is to find the lowest mileage, most well cared for example and go with that, even if its a few years older. Happy Hunting!

pint

Adventurer
Great info everyone, keep it coming! So intake and head gaskets are an issue. I can deal with that. I read here somewhere oil pumps can be a problem? I also read the factory diffs are weak? What about complex electronic issues that can be costly and leave you stranded?

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Great info everyone, keep it coming! So intake and head gaskets are an issue. I can deal with that. I read here somewhere oil pumps can be a problem? I also read the factory diffs are weak? What about complex electronic issues that can be costly and leave you stranded?

Head gaskets are usually only an issue if the cooling system hasn't been properly maintained and the engine allowed to overheat. They don't often go on their own. By overheat, I mean anything over the ordinary - these engines don't like heat. The cooling system is more than capable though, take care of it and you won't have any problems.

Perhaps someone can chime in with the VIN range, but it was a fairly small sampling of Discos in 2003 and part of 2004 with the oil pump issue - due to a glitch when they were machining the engine block (the holes didn't line up :Wow1: ).

The factory diffs aren't bad if your keeping it stock, for the most part. My first one was great and never had a problem. My second one, despite being well cared for, developed trouble in the rear diff long before I went to big tires and a lift. I am babying it now until I can upgrade to a Truetrac.

For all the electronics on these things, there are a surprising number of steel cables and good olde-fashion levers. From an electronics perspective, I wouldn't hesitate to take any Disco out into the back country. The electronics themselves aren't actually that complex either, and often are easy to remove or replace.

The self-leveling system can be a pain, but don't let that be a deal breaker if you find an otherwise perfect Disco. 1 hour and about $100 and you can convert it to coil springs. There's a good chance you can make your money back selling the left-over SLS parts too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger