Rear arb bumper with tire carrier?

richard310

pew pew
They aren't doing one off custom jobs they are making on of three bumpers they already have jigs for. I'm sorry unacceptable.

I have to agree with you there. For a company to be specializing in a prefab'd bumper that has already been fit and tested, taking over a month or two to make is quite ridiculous. I understand having a large amount of vehicle applications, but there should always be a certain amount of back stock they can ship out and then resupply that as it heads out.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
ARB rear bumper with wheel carrier and jerry can holder (UK Mits L200):

ARB_rear_bumper_02.JPG

Fwiw, that is a Kaymar. That is sold/distributed by some ARB dealers (not in the US) but that is not an ARB proper.

As for getting ARB to build a Nissan model specific bumper, get some folks interested. As others have mentioned it will purely be dictated by demand. Keep in mind they don't make bumpers for the 4Runner's, Tacoma's and many other very popular markets so to get them to consider a smaller market offering... you will really need to convince them of the demand. Having installed many different rear bumpers on the market, I'm a fan of the engineering and design of the ARB, it surely isn't for everyone but it is for many. Tow rated, replaceable parts, double sheer swings and plug/play harnesses. Hope that helps!

nickburt

Observer
Fwiw, that is a Kaymar. That is sold/distributed by some ARB dealers (not in the US) but that is not an ARB proper.

Hmmmm .... thanks for the info. I bought it second (in fact third) hand. When I first saw it, it was black and did have an ARB sticker on it, but then I guess anyone could have put that on. It was on a truck with the canopy I now have.

I bought the canopy direct from the same owner when he decided to return the truck to stock. Got a picture somewhere of both the canopy and the bumper on his truck, but can't find it at the moment.

I'll have to do some research.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
If you get over to thenewx.org there are two "sticky" threads. One for front and one for rear bumpers. I know this as I wrote them - while they're not as updated as one might like, the base info is good. Maxterra is the real deal. High quality work, short lead times. Bucksnort's the same way - but I'm unsure as to whether or not he does tire carriers. Shrock and Calmini are also out there. Would also recommend avoiding TAG/KMA and their clones. Hefty may also be an option, but if I get around to replacing my current tire carrier (one of the early Hefty's), I'll be going with a Maxterra swing out so I can have two NATO fuel cans on it as well.

edsd90

Observer
Kaymar makes a rear bumper for the Navara with the spindles and everything. You'd have to make the swing outs. Problem is there are frame differences between ROTW Navaras and US spec Frontiers, so I'm sure it'd have to be modified. At that point, I'd just as soon have one custom built.
FYI, the US spec Frontier rear frame is identical to the rest-of-the-world Navaras. My 2007 Frontier was used by ARB to test fit the rear bumper, along with all the other goodies, and we found the Australian rear bumper bolted right up with no modifications required. I really like my ARB rear bumper, it's protected me on numerous occasions, and constructed such that the truck could be hi-lifted from the rear, side corner with the bumper tube. It's possible that rear swing out hardware could be welded onto this bumper with some gusseting. The bumper itself is definitely stout enough to support it.

DSC00465.jpg

Last edited:

b00ster

Observer
I'll have to go take a look at the rear bumper thread again…when I got my Maxterra the jerry can holders weren't an option but that is something I would be interested in.

Mo4130

Adventurer
I know they are function over form but arb rear bumpers are ugly. But I love function:sombrero: so I'll have to see

Fzzt

Observer
If you think +/- 16 weeks is a horrible wait time but you like the looks and build quality just do it and take those patience pills.
In the time it would take for a company to design, prototype, re-design, have lawyers check to make sure the design isn't owned by another company, have the bean counters decide if the project is viable, re-design the product again because of budgetary concerns, file for copyright, begin production and finally have shippable product, could easily be a couple to a few years down the road. In the case of ARB if they decide to do crash testing as they did with some of their other bumpers it could add even more development time.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
If you think +/- 16 weeks is a horrible wait time but you like the looks and build quality just do it and take those patience pills.
In the time it would take for a company to design, prototype, re-design, have lawyers check to make sure the design isn't owned by another company, have the bean counters decide if the project is viable, re-design the product again because of budgetary concerns, file for copyright, begin production and finally have shippable product, could easily be a couple to a few years down the road. In the case of ARB if they decide to do crash testing as they did with some of their other bumpers it could add even more development time.

This.

If you think small fab shops like Shrockworks take a long time to make a bumper, ask a big company like ARB to make something new.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn

VERY good insight!

RangeBrover

Explorer
Kaymars are distributed by Outback proven and they can import special orders. But the original poster doesn't want to wait more than a few days so a Kaymar is probably out of the question. Mine took about 2-3 months to come over on the slow boat but it's hands down the best rear bumper for my truck. Hell I had the entire weight of a Land Cruiser on one corner and it didn't give.

edsd90

Observer
In my previous reply, when I mentioned that the ARB bumper could be a candidate for a swing-away tire mount, I was referring to a self-fabricated mod to an existing bumper. The ARB bumper is fully boxed underneath, so the wrap-around tubes on the sides are attached with a rigid frame to the back of the bumper, so ample strength to weld on a readily available pivot.
One positive I didn't mention in my earlier post - the rear approach angle is improved with the ARB bumper. Before we put the ARB on, I measured the distance from the ground to the bottom of the receiver, and that dimension increased by two inches with the ARB.

Last edited:

Mo4130

Adventurer
I could always find someone around to weld up a tire carrier onto the arb, or I could just learn how to weld myself, always wanted to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger