Rear bumper destroyed - price check and options? 4th gen 4runner

smiper

Observer
My rear bumper was "involuntarily modified" this evening in traffic. Everyone is ok. There is no significant damage to any other components, but the lower bumper panel that runs from wheel well to wheel well is going to need to be replaced. So, can you guys help me assess me options? They revolve around two big questions:

• Have you had this panel replaced on your truck? What did it cost out of pocket?
  • What are my options for aftermarket rear bumpers? It will need to cover that whole wheel well to wheel well section. Storage for jerry cans would be a benefit, but I don't think I want the added weight.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

java

Expedition Leader
Yeah not much in the way of rear options.... Id do a CBI in Aluminum if it were me, but thats alot of $$

Mine bumper cover is 'well used' also. But I haven't replaced it. I priced it when I first bought the truck, it was the PO that did most of the 'use', and it was a lot of $$ and didn't come in the unpainted 03 variety anymore.

frogers930

Observer
FYI I just checked with Aluminess since I knew they made bumpers at one time, here is their response.

We have only made 2 rear bumpers for the 4th gen 4-Runner in the past. Due to low demand and the difficulty of that bumper, it never became a standard produced product. We still have the design for this bumper and can still build one. The price of the bumper is $2,550 with swing arms and $1,550 without the swing arms.

smiper

Observer
Thanks, guys. I'm not seeing the benefit for the weight, so I'll likely just have the stock piece replaced with OEM. It's split in 2, so there's no amount of paint, Bondo, or duct tape that will make this OK.

There's also a scrape on the body section underneath the plastic trim. It's taken so paint off, but there's no major deformity. I assume they'll wire wheel that and hit it with a rattle can to inhibit rust, then put the trim back on. Correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online