Rear Camper Window Support?

megahoser

This weekend while skiing I saw the coolest thing...a telescoping or collapsing rear camper window support on a Tacoma. The support extended from the corner of the window about 6' to the ground. As anyone living in cold weather knows, when it gets frigid the hydraulic supports on your window supports get weak. This thing looked like an awesome solution!

Unfortunately, in my effort to search every conceivable combination of terms...I found nothing even closely resembling what I saw. I am kicking myself for not talking to the owner or taking a quick pic. Does anyone here know of a device similar to what I described??

Thanks!

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wouldn't it make more sense to just get a new or more powerful gas strut? It's not like they're expensive. Get them at RV shops in any length you want for about $15/ea.

southpier

Expedition Leader
something like this?

61MiN3wggIL._SL1300_.jpg

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I have a Contractor cap on my Taco right now and it has 6 struts, 2 per door. And I was amazed this winter that I didn't have to replace any of them. Even in single digit weather, they held no problem. So, I'm with Martinjmpr don't be cheap and just replace your struts. Any place that sells truck caps will have what you need.

-jorge

megahoser

It is not a matter of being cheap. I am planning to replace the struts, for the umpteenth time. And yes, I too can come up with any number of impromptu wedge ideas - like ski poles, Mr. LongArms, 2x4, etc...
Regardless, I really am still interested in finding out about getting this type of prop/support...if anyone knows what I am referring to or something similar it would be appreciated.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've never seen anything commercial like that, it was probably just an extendable ten pole with some sort of cup for the pointy end to rest in. If you wanted it fixed to the window it be easy enough to bend a bracket and put a pin in it; you could use any number of clamps to hold the pole to the window when not in use.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I remember the old Broncos and I think Blazers had metal hinged supports for the back windows. You would open it up and it would "click" into place and then you would overextend back up and release the supports back down. No damn piston to wear out. That is another option as well.

-jorge

megahoser

Thanks, Jorge...That's actually not a bad idea! I did a search and found this on another forum:

648194d1374351792t-lift-gate-support-mod-liftmod.jpg

I might give it...or at least something similar, a try. All I am looking for is the ability to 'lock' it up in cold weather and not have to rely on the pistons to keep it there.

Zam15

Explorer
Thanks, Jorge...That's actually not a bad idea! I did a search and found this on another forum:

648194d1374351792t-lift-gate-support-mod-liftmod.jpg

I might give it...or at least something similar, a try. All I am looking for is the ability to 'lock' it up in cold weather and not have to rely on the pistons to keep it there.

Ding ding ding, had something similar when my old supports were going out. Cut some old c-channel stuff and it worked great.

robert

Expedition Leader
That's actually a pretty cool idea. The only issue I see with it is I'm sure it rattles on rougher surfaces but some sort of wrap or heat shrink around the strut should help silence that.

I was also thinking you could grab a hood rod out of an older Japanese vehicle, cut it to size and mount it.

Louisd75

Adventurer
I use adjustable height tent poles for a tarp off the side of the truck, they'd probably work for what you're talking about. I use the cheapo ones, TexSport/Stansport/Coleman, but Kelty and MSR make some fancier ones:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...alias=aps&field-keywords=adjustable+tent+pole

I like the idea of the pipe spacer but not the fact that it stays on all the time. I'd cut a slot in the side of the pipe so that it was removable or use C-channel.

millerfish

Adventurer
How about something like this to clamp directly on the piston. Much more compact and no chance of it being bumped and the door falling on your head...

Attachments

• Clamp1.JPG
    Clamp1.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 24
  • Clamp2.JPG
    Clamp2.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 2

megahoser

Thanks guys, for some other great ideas! I think I'm going to try the sleeve-style...for now. I'll report back on whether or not there is a rattle problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle