Rear Diff Lock stuck

Neil

Observer
During Covid we had to leave our vehicle in Colombia for 2 years.
During this time it didn't move or have any air pressure.
Since then I have been unable to engage the rear Diff lock.
I think its simply got itself stuck though lack of use. It is engaged Pneumatically.

The vehicle is a 1017a 1988
The pneumatics run at 8.1 bar
The rear axle is plated as HL 4 / 17

Any thoughts on how to free this up, preferably without a complete strip down would be gratefully recieved

Thanks

Neil

Geo.Lander

During Covid we had to leave our vehicle in Colombia for 2 years.
During this time it didn't move or have any air pressure.
Since then I have been unable to engage the rear Diff lock.
I think its simply got itself stuck though lack of use. It is engaged Pneumatically.

The vehicle is a 1017a 1988
The pneumatics run at 8.1 bar
The rear axle is plated as HL 4 / 17

Any thoughts on how to free this up, preferably without a complete strip down would be gratefully recieved

Thanks

Neil

I actually had the same issue, have you tried engaging the centre lock first, driving for a bit then engaging the rear? It took a little while for our rear diff lock light to come on..

Neil

Observer
I only have rear on the 1017

I have tried activating it for ages without joy

Thanks

Neil

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Do you know if it is stuck because of an air leak? I.E. is the air escaping into the diff and coming out the axle vent?

If not, have you tried putting a few drops of air tool oil into the air line?

Neil

Observer
The air is good, no leaks.

I think what ever moves to engage it is simply stuck from not being moved for the two years.

Neil

Deleted Member 183

Before I give you my advice, I'd like to remind you of the old addige "advice is worth exactly as much as you pay for it!"

So now with that out of the way... DUMB IT DOWN!!!

Is the on/ off switch/ valve getting electricity or air?

Does the valve/ switch work?

Are you loosing juice or air after the off/on before it gets to the axle?

And so on & so on!

Don't worry, you'll get it and be on the road before you know it! PLEASE, have safe travels!

Neil

Observer
Before I give you my advice, I'd like to remind you of the old addige "advice is worth exactly as much as you pay for it!"

So now with that out of the way... DUMB IT DOWN!!!

Is the on/ off switch/ valve getting electricity or air?

Does the valve/ switch work?

Are you loosing juice or air after the off/on before it gets to the axle?

And so on & so on!

Don't worry, you'll get it and be on the road before you know it! PLEASE, have safe travels!

Hi thanks

It's activated Pneumatically.

I can hear the woosh of air when I activate the switch, I am pretty sure this part is OK.

I have no air leaks or losses.

I am pretty confident that the moving part within the axle that engages the diff lock has simply got itself stuck after 2 years of sitting idle.

I'm hoping there is a solution without strip down.

The vehicle drives fine , just no rear diff .

Thanks

Neil

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Personally I would start with oiling the air line. Then drive until you are for sure at full operating temperature, then try and cycle a few times.

However, if you sat idle in a moist climate for 2 years…. Probably a good oils change/cleaning/inspection is needed anyway.

Madoxen

The air is good, no leaks.

I think what ever moves to engage it is simply stuck from not being moved for the two years.

Neil
These do stick with inactivity . 2 years will do it. B4 u start stripping things try the old lump hammer tapping around the area it lives while some one turns it on and off, you will loose some paint but it might free it enough to get it moving again . Failing that it is a case of opening it up and freeing- cleaning it all and making sure it all moves freely.

Neil

Observer
Can I ask how you know it's not being engaged? Purely from the cockpit light?
Yes , no light

It's hard to check any other way as you need to turn on the Pneumatic air pressure and then move the vehicle forward to engage it . Rocking the steering left and right a little usually does it after about 2 rotations of the wheels.

I've yet to stick it in some mud and see if they are locked

Neil

Geo.Lander

Yes , no light

It's hard to check any other way as you need to turn on the Pneumatic air pressure and then move the vehicle forward to engage it . Rocking the steering left and right a little usually does it after about 2 rotations of the wheels.

I've yet to stick it in some mud and see if they are locked

Neil

Easy way to test is on a hairpin turn slight uphill, if it its locked your inner wheel will spin like mad, take it easy thou as it puts some strain on the axles. slight uphill, bonus if it is gravel or snowy..

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Or just Jack all the wheels up onto blocks so the tires are off the ground. Easy and safe way to see if it is engaging.

A quick multimeter check will tell you if the light is out when it should be on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior