Rear Door table hardware

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Hi, new to the group but have been lurking for some time. I have been having an issue sourcing some hardware and hopefully someone here can make a suggestion. I'd like to build a small table/mount the width of rear door that folds down and can accomodate my stove and a cutting board or other "stuff". However I've been struggling with finding the right hinge and clasp hardware, as well as a way to hold the table in place when folded down (don't want to use chain). All with the demand of hardware that is not corrosive and will not rattle (the diesel does a nice job of that...). I've hit the usual suspects in my area such as West Marine, etc. Maybe it's a mental block, but I can't find what I think I'm looking for. Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks,
Dave
47404625.RooftoptentsatOuray.jpg

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo Dave!!!! Very sweet 90 you got there, care to share some more pics and specs? Sorry, kinda drawing a blank on your table set up right now, but if I come up with something I will post it up here.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.stanleyhardware.com/defa...=11"x5"+White+Folding+Shelf+Bracket

Hi Dave,
Welcome!

Something like the Stanley folding shelf bracket, linked above, may work
It will support the shelf and alow it to fold. All you would need is a way to secure it or lock it in the folded position.

Great group of rovers in your pic!
How do the Discoveries like the weight of the roof top tents up there?
And tell me more about that discovery on the right of the pic with the dome tent. Is that a home made job? How does it work?

Thanks and good luck
Brian

Scott Brady

Founder
Dave,

Welcome to the Expedition Portal. Great camp picture by the way.

I know the hinge you are looking for. Let me see what I can find :ylsmoke:

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Nice! Thanks for the overwhelming welcome. I'll post some info on my rig in the reader's rig section. Kind of daunting as every piece of it is modified at this point :beer: . That is the only pic I have of the door open, which is what I meant to caption the original post with.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Anything you guys see, please post up. All ideas are helpful. I know this is a small project, but it's important to me to make it clean, functional and above all, "silent"... This simple project has been driving me nuts lately in just sourcing what I'm looking for.

On some of the questions. The Disco's handled well with the tents up top. We drove from the East coast (MA and NY) to CO last summer and spent 2 weeks there then came back. The one on the right is a home made job. The owner is a custom home builder and got a good laugh at us with our setups. However it turned out that setting his up took a bit of time and effort. After the trip, he built himself a trailer and put the tent setup on that. But the trucks did pretty well except for fuel mileage. on the cross country... as you might have guessed.

Last edited:

+ d

Adventurer
Dave,

Try Mcmaster-Carr they have...um alotta hardware...and often have stainless steel options. 98% of the stuff is in stock!

Make sure you show us how it turns out.

njtaco

Explorer
www.allegiscorp.com

The Auto and Repair shops at work order from here. I have only seen their stuff once installed by others, so I don't know about their service or anything, but check out their catalogue online. Also, I ordered one (a hard copy) for my shop with a phone call, I have heard McMaster Carr is hard to get a paper version out of.

Good luck!

86cj

Explorer
Hey Dave,
I am new here to.........I just put a similar stainless shelf in my jeep. I had the same criteria and used a stainless piano hinge,but have not come to a final hardware design yet.( mcmaster- carr is great).
Right now shelf is working OK with just a dog collar chain and stainless 3/8 bolt w/stainless wing nut (of which I have several spares handy). A cover is on the chain so it does not rattle.
The latch area in the center of my tailgate is accessible from the outside thru vent hole and the ends of the shelf line up with double wall area...........
(Translation) This was so easy and quick, I may be to lazy and cheap to change what works OK........until I see what ideas come up of course

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
Didn't the classic chuck wagon usually use a single drop down leg for the work table? I've also heard that competition wagons have to have all their hardware dezinced, so they are more authentic.

paulj

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I can second Allegis :iagree: - great service and an easy website to navigate - fast shipping...

njtaco said:
www.allegiscorp.com

The Auto and Repair shops at work order from here. I have only seen their stuff once installed by others, so I don't know about their service or anything, but check out their catalogue online. Also, I ordered one (a hard copy) for my shop with a phone call, I have heard McMaster Carr is hard to get a paper version out of.

Good luck!

Bergger

Explorer
Welcome. I couldn't help notice the pic you used for you avatar. Looks like the Alle Belle Mine just outside of St. Elmo. That area is one of my favorite places to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998