Rear shock valving ?

corax

Explorer
OK, here's the scenario . . . I just got a set of OME Dakars for the rear and finally have everything for the install, except the shocks. Since the Dakars have 4 main leaves and 2 overload leaves I might try them as is or remove the 2 overloads + 1 main leaf - either way before I can drive it I'll need to weld on new shock mounts (did I mention I'm also doing a Marlin u-bolt flip right away?). Before I weld the shock mounts I need to figure out how much travel I can get and weld the mounts accordingly so the shock length isn't a limiting factor (shock mounts welded low if need be to compensate for shock length needed for the stroke I want).

My question is if anyone can suggest shock valving . . . I've heard I should run softer valved shocks for the Dakars or I'll get a rough ride (duh!) I'd like to run Bilstein 5150's, which come in 2 flavors: 170/60 and 255/70 - obviously the 170/60 is softer, but I'm not sure if that is too soft. I'm also wondering if these are re-valvable, though I suspect they are not (no visible way of re-pressurizing the shock). I am open to suggestions if anyone cares to chime in . . . and no, I don't want to just buy the OME shocks. That would be too easy

5150-500-Wide.jpg

Since these have threaded ends on the shock, I'm going to see if the Heim rod ends for Bilstein "small body" shocks (racing app) will fit
213193252002_R.jpg

I want to get this done and ditch the LSPV before I mount up the aux tank (though it's already drilled and ready) so I need to get moving on this soon

timber

Adventurer
I am running Dakars on my 2007 Tacoma and use the 10" 5150s 170/60 valving. and would never go back to the stiff stuff again, however I also use the Timbren Bumpstops which are very nice, but with limited rebound dampening from the shock if you hit them fast and hard they will buck back pretty hard. I still think this is the best setup for me,Very nice on our expansion joint freeways and great offroad.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I'm using the GM 63's on an '84 Xcab with a fiberglass shell. I started out with a used set of 7100's that supposedly had the 255/70 valving in them. The truack's behavior was wallowy in the rear, too soft. I changed the stacks to 275/78's and the behavior got much better. The slow speed control with the as supplied stacks was just OK. Ride quality was way better than the Rauncho's they replaced, but I shortly knew that it was far from ideal.

I would be really hesitant to go so soft as the 170/60 stack. As I understand it those are intended for dual shock per tire applications & rock crawlers.

It's interesting that you want to use the SRE ends. I replaced them with urethane bushings in the 7100's on the rear of the Suburban. Eventually they clank even though the bearings still feel good. I didn't want the noise and maintenance. I intended to do the same with those on the '84, but had to use the bearings so that they could be offset in the shock mounts for more spring plate clearance.

corax

Explorer
Thanks for the input, keep it coming guys . . .

I also use the Timbren Bumpstops which are very nice, but with limited rebound dampening from the shock if you hit them fast and hard they will buck back pretty hard.

I already have the Energy Suspension bumpstops to use with this set-up, but the Timbren's look good too.
9-9109B.jpg

It's interesting that you want to use the SRE ends. I replaced them with urethane bushings in the 7100's on the rear of the Suburban. Eventually they clank even though the bearings still feel good. I didn't want the noise and maintenance. I intended to do the same with those on the '84, but had to use the bearings so that they could be offset in the shock mounts for more spring plate clearance.

I figure for the price I'll try the rod ends first and hope for freer suspension movement, if I want I can always put the originals back on.

laxtoy

Adventurer
i have 170/60 5125's in my 99 tacoma, they run nice matched with t100 springs. i have a canopy/topper that adds some weights as well, and even with a loaded bed, i'd still say i like the softer valving.

corax

Explorer
I just ordered my shocks yesterday in 170/60 valving trim, I figure with the friction naturally inherent in leaf springs the softer valving will be OK . . . we'll see

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12