Rear Shocks

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I believe I could use longer rear shocks on my 4Runner to allow more droop travel.

I have seen pictures on the web which confirmed what I was told by a vendor, that the N141 shocks I have to compliment my rear OME 895 springs are about the same length as stock. Shocks about 2-inches longer should help with droop travel. I don't run the rear sway bar on my '06 4Runner and I have noted my axle droop appears to be needlessly inhibited.

Two easy options I'm aware of are OME N71 FZJ80 and Bilstein 5125. Both are supposed to be about 2-inches longer. A salesman at Toy Tach Lifts (sounded knowledgeable) said in their testing the Bilstein actually rode better (and softer) than the N71 (on an FJC I think). I ordered the Bilsteins when I ordered my new control arms and they arrived today.

Before they arrived I re-thought how I didn't care for the one set of Bilstein shocks I had many years ago for my F350 (too firm for me) and 24HRS related how he had a set and the finish was off of them and they were rusting in short order.

I have liked the old Rancho 9000s on my F350 because of their adjustability but I realize it is a different animal. I was ready/willing to try some 9000s but they don't make an easy fit for the 4Runner. All my local shop was able to come up with today was a shock that will work, but the mounts aren't exactly the same and they are only about 1.5-inches longer than what I have.

I know front shocks are easy, everyone loved their adjustable coil overs. But what about a good/great rear shock that allows lots of travel on a Tacoma, 4Runner or FJC?

For those that don't know, my 4Runner is armored and heavy, 5,500-lbs wet/unloaded, I have coil-rite air bags to handle varying loads and I prefer a softer ride.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
James: Has anyone cycled your rear suspension to see exactly how much longer shock you can utilize? And at some point, maybe even with just 2" longer shocks, you will have to limit the uptravel with a bump stop. And you may need, if the longer shock allows the spring to totally uncompress, to mechanically retain the coils also...

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Not yet, I was talking with a friend about doing a suspension cycle test soon and seeing how much longer a shock is desirable . Was thinking of supporting the frame with stands, disconnecting shocks, then stuffing the axle up high on one side with a floor jack. This is what I did the last time I had the springs out to install the air-bags, do you think this will work well enough?

I think my air-bag coil-rites might work okay as variable bump-stops depending on how much PSI I have in them. The stock cone bump-stops were removed/cut to make room for the coil-rites. I have pretty good stuff/compression now (my tires just make light contact sometimes). Do you think I won’t have more room for droop because it will allow for more compression?

Today I measured the 141 shocks as they sit on the 4Runner, top to lower eye. They are about 20.5 inches (depending on where/how you measure) and the total length of the stock/OME 141 shocks are only about 22”. That’s not much down travel. I brought some test Rancho 9000s home that are only 1.5-inches longer than stock. Just doesn't seem like much.

spressomon said:
James: Has anyone cycled your rear suspension to see exactly how much longer shock you can utilize? And at some point, maybe even with just 2" longer shocks, you will have to limit the uptravel with a bump stop. And you may need, if the longer shock allows the spring to totally uncompress, to mechanically retain the coils also...

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
you can ask bulldog on toyota120.com he has a lot of personal experience w/ different suspensions
he has gone thru the OME rear shocks and I think is currently running FOX rr shocks. He is running w/ armor & fr/rr bumpers, cargo, etc so he would know.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Redline said:
Not yet, I was talking with a friend about doing a suspension cycle test soon and seeing how much longer a shock is desirable . Was thinking of supporting the frame with stands, disconnecting shocks, then stuffing the axle up high on one side with a floor jack. This is what I did the last time I had the springs out to install the air-bags, do you think this will work well enough?

I think my air-bag coil-rites might work okay as variable bump-stops depending on how much PSI I have in them. The stock cone bump-stops were removed/cut to make room for the coil-rites. I have pretty good stuff/compression now (my tires just make light contact sometimes). Do you think I won’t have more room for droop because it will allow for more compression?

Today I measured the 141 shocks as they sit on the 4Runner, top to lower eye. They are about 20.5 inches (depending on where/how you measure) and the total length of the stock/OME 141 shocks are only about 22”. That’s not much down travel. I brought some test Rancho 9000s home that are only 1.5-inches longer than stock. Just doesn't seem like much.

Any type of lift...floor jack is fine...will work. The main concern is NOT to have the shock serve as the effective compression bump stop; but rather a frame mounted bump stop.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I was doing some searching over there and on MUD, but wasn't considering Fox. Now I am. Fox has a rear replacement for the FJC that should work.

Life_in_4Lo said:
you can ask bulldog on toyota120.com he has a lot of personal experience w/ different suspensions
he has gone thru the OME rear shocks and I think is currently running FOX rr shocks. He is running w/ armor & fr/rr bumpers, cargo, etc so he would know.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Redline said:
I like that idea. I have some good ramps, though mine are only 6.5-inches high.
Can usually put blocks under the front end to raise the ramp height. Keep in mind that 6.5" per ramp nets you 13" of articulation. A 2X4 laid flat under each ramp would net you nearly 17" of articulation.

I used this technique for checking brake hose length and bumpstop location when I put the GM65's under the rear of my '84 Mini "Patch".

FFT anyway.....

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I like it.

ntsqd said:
Can usually put blocks under the front end to raise the ramp height. Keep in mind that 6.5" per ramp nets you 13" of articulation. A 2X4 laid flat under each ramp would net you nearly 17" of articulation.

I used this technique for checking brake hose length and bumpstop location when I put the GM65's under the rear of my '84 Mini "Patch".

FFT anyway.....

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I ordered a set of Bilstein 5125 shocks. I decided to return them before opening the shipping box.

I took delivery of a pair of Rancho 9000s from my local shop last Friday that 'would fit' but were actually for a Dodge truck. A bit longer overall than what I have, but also decided to return them without mounting or buying them.

After speaking with Ben at Slee Off Road (Ben seems to know a bit about 4Runners & the OME suspension they sell) regarding the FZJ80 N71 shock that I was also considering...

Longer shocks will give me the 'potential' for more rear axle droop travel, but to prevent over compressing the shock it is possibly (likely?) I will have to extend my bump-stops, possibly about 1-inch. The total gain in travel after extending bump stops would probably be very small, 1-inch or so. I'm no so sure it is worth the money and hassles at this point. I’m reevaluating.

My OME suspension works and rides very well, so for now I have decided to wait and not rush to other rear shocks. Some Fox shocks may still be in the future if/when I want to spend a bit more money.

slooowr6

Explorer
Redline said:
I ordered a set of Bilstein 5125 shocks. I decided to return them before opening the shipping box.

I took delivery of a pair of Rancho 9000s from my local shop last Friday that 'would fit' but were actually for a Dodge truck. A bit longer overall than what I have, but also decided to return them without mounting or buying them.

After speaking with Ben at Slee Off Road (Ben seems to know a bit about 4Runners & the OME suspension they sell) regarding the FZJ80 N71 shock that I was also considering...

Longer shocks will give me the 'potential' for more rear axle droop travel, but to prevent over compressing the shock it is possibly (likely?) I will have to extend my bump-stops, possibly about 1-inch. The total gain in travel after extending bump stops would probably be very small, 1-inch or so. I'm no so sure it is worth the money and hassles at this point. I’m reevaluating.

My OME suspension works and rides very well, so for now I have decided to wait and not rush to other rear shocks. Some Fox shocks may still be in the future if/when I want to spend a bit more money.

Good/wise move!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior