Rear sway bar who's using them?

kodiak-black

Observer
Hey guys I have been contemplating a rear sway bar for my 2018 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins. I have air bags and lower Stable Loads. I'd like to corner a little flatter and eliminate the some of the rocking when approaching transitions at angle.

I am considering the Hellwig Big Wig. Roadmaster does not make a model that fits my truck.

I'd like to hear about people's experiences with adding a sway bar and whether it was a worthwhile modification or one you wouldn't do again.

I do realize it will somewhat limit off road excursions but most of the time is spent on roads and my experiences off road I wonder if it would have actually helped the rocking.

ripperj

Explorer
I have a 21 Ram 3500 Hemi. I have a Northstar Adventurer hard side camper that I haul around.

I added the Big Wig sway bar, it made a noticeable difference in handling. There is less rocking on bad roads and corners .

I’m 99% sure the reason they don’t list a model for the gas trucks is because the tailpipe has a big resonator that interferes with the bar. I cut the resonator off and straight piped the end. Not much of noise difference (I think it sounds nice, enough rumble to know it’s a Hemi, but not enough to be annoying on highway or wake neighbors when I leave at 0500)

You do have to keep checking the axle brackets u-bolts tight. I’m going to mod mine as they rotate a bit on the axle after a while. You can only tighten them so much before the nut tries to bend the bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ripperj

Explorer
Just realized you meant Road Master doesn’t have one for your truck. The Big Wig should be a match for the diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rruff

Explorer
I'd like to corner a little flatter and eliminate the some of the rocking when approaching transitions at angle.

Custom tuned shocks would give you the most overall satisfaction I think. Fox 2.0s aren't too expensive (check Accutune). Swaybars are a bandaid meant for smooth road cornering only. On any rough or uneven surface they increase jolting movements. Take them both off.

What you want is shocks with high digressive damping... this means they will be stiff for slow speed movements (sway, rocking) but still respond to bumps. Great handling for sudden movements, but you will still get sway in sweeping turns. That should be easy to deal with however.

Also, wondering if your bags are plumbed individually.

Last edited:

Jack90

I have 2021 Ram 3500 with the 6.7 with Airbags, Stable Loads, and tuned for the truck camper weight 3.0 King Shocks. I installed a RoadMasters Rear Sway bar 2 months ago, and boy is that thing amazing. I am super sensitive to play in the steering wheel coming from all the truck camper weight in the back and it removed it completely. I can't recommend enough a rear sway bar! You will notice the difference immediately and the truck will feel way more planted on mountain turns and highway. The articulation off-road is still about the same.

85_Ranger4x4

I added a factory one to my ranger which is totally different I know.

Handles a lot better empty and night and day better with my Skamper pop up camper in the truck.

rruff

Explorer
To all you singing the praises for swaybars, what sort of offroading do you do? And what shocks do you have?

Reducing articulation is precisely what a swaybar does. It keeps each wheel from moving relative to the one on the opposite side. Sure it will corner flatter, but any time you are on a non-flat road it will restrict independent wheel motion and transfer more lateral shock to the cabin.

85_Ranger4x4

To all you singing the praises for swaybars, what sort of offroading do you do? And what shocks do you have?

Reducing articulation is precisely what a swaybar does. It keeps each wheel from moving relative to the one on the opposite side. Sure it will corner flatter, but any time you are on a non-flat road it will restrict independent wheel motion and transfer more lateral shock to the cabin.

I trail ride it empty and usually pull a front sway link.

I didn't do that last time and didn't notice much difference.

Bilistien replacement shocks.

Articulation is one reason I went with the thinist oem bar, 93-11 had 5/8 and is by far the easiest to find and remove. 83-92 had 3/4 and 2wd BII had 1". All mount the same. I started with the easier to find one knowing that I needed more I could snag a heavier one and put the 5/8 on my pickup box trailer.

I have video from my last two trips in my build thread if interested.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
If you don't want to spend a bunch of money on suspension a rear sway bar is great. It'll help a ton with handling on road. I highly recommend for most people.

I ended up with Fox 2.5" DSC from Accutune. The truck rides and handles better without the rear sway bar thanks to the spendy shocks. With the Foxs it actually handled and road worse with the rear sway bar. I guess it better for the money?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Custom tuned shocks would give you the most overall satisfaction I think. Fox 2.0s aren't too expensive (check Accutune). Swaybars are a bandaid meant for smooth road cornering only. On any rough or uneven surface they increase jolting movements. Take them both off.

What you want is shocks with high digressive damping... this means they will be stiff for slow speed movements (sway, rocking) but still respond to bumps. Great handling for sudden movements, but you will still get sway in sweeping turns. That should be easy to deal with however.

Also, wondering if your bags are plumbed individually.
I have King 2.5's from Thuren custom tuned for my popup. The Hellwig swaybar improves highway handling over and above those. Offroad you can disconnect one side in 10 minutes. Best of both worlds.

BeaverMan

I have a 2020 Power Wagon with popup camper and added air bags. Bags helped but then a added the Big Wig bar and it drives like it did before the camper. 80mph + and passing semi's in corners is no problem. And yes I was off road and I like it not swaging on the trails with the camper.

kodiak-black

Observer
I ordered the Big Wig. It should be here this coming week. For the most part I don't have an "issue" with the way it handles, BUT I believe in an emergency avoidance situation the sway may prove to be detrimental. This is my main concern. Thanks for all the input.

2A369B12-E1B2-4423-9AFD-F5BE9EBB0226_1_201_a.jpeg

dirtnadvil

I put one on my 2003 silverado 2500. The 33" spare doesnt fit in its spot under the truck bed anymore.....:mad: 550 dollars , not a happy camper anymore

rruff

Explorer
Since my last post on this thread I installed Ironman FC Pro shocks (which have high digressive damping), and removed the front swaybar (never had a rear). Still handles great, even with a camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior