rear sway bars

the boogie van

been thinking a lot about adding a rear sway bar to my 1991 E250, anybody had any experience with them? i do a lot of tight mountain roads with 4+ bikes hanging off the hitch so i think a rear bar would do a lot of good. not interested in a front sway bar either really, got coil-overs up there so it stays pretty flat up front.

looking at this one:
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5810

did vans ever come stock with one? i know broncos had them, wish i would have saved the one i ripped off mine back in the day.

Jeffh555

Observer
I have one off the rear of a Superduty. It's still attached to the Sterling 10.5 that will eventually make it's way under my van.

It's sitting in my shop if you want to play with it. I'll be over there Sunday, most likely.

Jeff

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
I have a modified hellwig on my 06 Quigley, been on there since day one so I can't say if it's an improvement or not. But when I knocked it out of alignment one time it made a huge difference.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I have a massive one on the Ambulance Conversion.

Its about 1 1/2 thick and matches the massive leaf springs. It does not sway much compared to the Sportsmobile (E250). But I suspect that it will flex like a piece of 2" steel plate :Wow1:

I can take some photos if you like (when it cools down, I don't like the idea of laying on the concrete in Phoenix at the moment).

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
As promised a photo.

Photo of the sway bar on the Ambulance conversion. Just as a reference that is a dana 70 or 80 not one of those puny 60's :)

IMG8950-XL.jpg

Photog

Explorer
Advanced 4X4, in Salt Lake City, added a swaybar to my van/RV, and it made a favorable difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger