Rear swing away Box, Kaymar Style

Surfy

Adventurer
I dream of a box, which is fitted like a Kaymar "Spare tyre carrier" or "swing away Jerrycan Holder"

triton3.jpg

A box with the size of a 33" tyre, for fitting the kittchen in it.

Therefore the 33" tyres are big, there is much room to use, the box hasnt to be round, he can be rectangular or square.

There would be enough space for a 11kg gas bottle, a 2-way flame cooker / grill and even spices and cutlery, plates and stuff.

41gKXc8vOHL._AA300_.jpg

Has someone done this already? Seen something like this? Or has photos?

Therefore i only will take one spare tire, plus a tyres coat with my, i can use the other side of the rear this way :drool:

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
There is a company here in the US called Aluminess that makes things like this.

generator-box.jpg

This box is their galley box, if you put some small chains on the door it could be kept parallel to the ground so you could use your stove. And on the basket on top of the box you could strap on your fuel cans.

Surfy

Adventurer
Thanks for the pictures!

Now i have a offer, for such a box.

But beside the costs, i have too to look after the weight. The Dealer means, that the Keymar Reartyre Holder alone bring 30kgs on the weight. The box will add approximately the same. With the load of the gas bottle and the gas cooker which i will have anyway - they would be arround 90kg behind.

Then the parking sensors have to get moved, the rear cam has to be moved.

My Land Cruiser has a weight of 2.88to empty, and modded and fully tanked, he weight 3.185to. My max. weight GVM should be max. 3.3to

What would you do?

One one side i need cargo space, and like to store the gas outside. On the other side this cargo solution will add 60 kg.

Solution 1: store the gas and cooker inside
Solution 2: add 60kg and a rear box solution
Solution 3: get a roof rack and add 60 kg at a really bad area for serious offroading ( at sample driving in a bad angle). Unfortunately then you add automatically more stuff above..

No solution looks good :-(

Unfortunately i have to decide it soon, because i have to wrote this inside of the carnet form, if i have a roofbox, rearbox or roofrack.

Last edited:

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
I'm actually at Kaymar in Lillydale right now. I asked and the cost to develop something like this would be a lot more than the sales it would produce. A good alternative would be to use the can carrier (RHS on the Mitsubishi above) and cut off one side of the existing can carrier and use as a mount to the shelf or kitchen. Outback Import in Avignon would be able to tell you if they make your specific application from Kaymar.

Another recommendation would be to look at the kitchens that fit inside a pelican case that Adventure Trailers are doing and mount it to the modified can carrier from Kaymar. It should look awesome and worthy of sharing a build thread here.

Good luck.

Surfy

Adventurer
Thanks for your suggestions!

@hoser: to get a trailer only for the kitchen is a bit overkill - but an option ;-)

@ FlyNdrive: Inside of the offer i had - are the costs of the box the smallest part. The additional Kaymar Rear is a big part, and also a bit part is the relocation from the parking sensors and the rearcam.

The problem is, that a additional rear tyreholder together with the box add another 60kg to the bill - and i have only 3.3to GVM - and no option to upgrade this in switzerland. A Pelican Case based Box will shure weight less than a alu-box - worth to think about!

My last weight - fully equipped with Bullbar, Winch, Reartyreholder & additional Fueltank (180) was 3.185kg. Now comes too the camping - the inner buildup - watertank and so on... Arrrggh. Maybe i should forget the legal issue ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78