Rear view mirror swap into ZJ

AdidasCJ

Observer
Went to the junkyard the other day, just seeing what I could find. I pulled two sparton horns from this:

As I walked around I found a couple auto dim mirrors with temp and compass display. I remembered reading a post about them being used in Wranglers. Knowing my brothers Tj doesnt have the compass/temp mirror I pulled him one. Well I wanted one too for my ZJ... So I pulled me one too!

Came home and wired it up!

The old autodimming mirror:

Sensor added, next to the other:

Even before wiring in the sensor to the mirror, the ZJ mirror plug will plug right into these ones and the compass and auto dimming with work. But you will get a "OC" for the open circut for the tempature part. The ZJs only use pins 1-5 of the 7 on the plug. The added sensor wires to pin 6-7 of the mirror.

And this is why I wanted one for my ZJ. I have my CB mounted in the way of my stock compass/temp.

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
What did you get that mirror out of, and how much wiring did you need to pull? I want to put one in my XJ, since it has no overhead console, but that task always seemed a little daunting.

Please advise on what you pulled and perhaps some more detail on how you wired it.

AdidasCJ

Observer
What did you get that mirror out of, and how much wiring did you need to pull? I want to put one in my XJ, since it has no overhead console, but that task always seemed a little daunting.

Please advise on what you pulled and perhaps some more detail on how you wired it.

I pulled them from Chevy Suburban. Your looking for the ones with the 7 pin connector on them. This junkyard only had the one mirror that displays both Temp & Compass at the SAME time. However, I did pull a mirror that have a single display that shows temperature OR compass at a single time. This single display type was ALLLL over the yards I visited.

I used a T-20 torx to undo the mirror, followed the plug wires into the headliner (about 6in maybe, you can pull more if you wish) and cut it.

Then I removed the grille, I think it was 6 10mm screws holding it on. Once the grille is removed, you will see the temp sensor. I don't remember what size the screw on this was. But removed the temp sensor with plug attached, follow the wires as far as you think you may want. I again pulled about 6 or so inches.

For my ZJ, I have a mirror that was already auto dimming, thus power and ground was already going to it. The ZJ Mirror is also a 7 pin plug. Therefore I only had to run two wires from the mirror to the temp sensor. It was a long run for me as I placed the sensor in the grille. That's where almost all manufactures place them so I went with it next to my stock one. So I made my own 2 wire harness to run to my grille. Match the color of wires on the temp sensor to the color wires on the mirror, they are the same.

FOR those who don't already have a powered mirror such as the XJ, you will need to run 4 wires.
A 12v ACC that goes live with you turn the key.
A ground.
and 2 wires to the temp sensor (wherever you place it)

For this mirror, pin 1 was my power. Pin 2 was my ground. Pin 6 & 7 were for the temp sensor. Pins 3, 4, 5 are not needed, but can be hooked up for things like the mirror doesn't dim when in reverse, but NOT needed to make it work.

The mirrors compass part is built INTO the mirror. So all it needs is 12v power and it will work. Some calibration MAY be needed. All you need to do for this is drive a few times in a tight circle. IF however you DO calibrate your compass and it still doesn't quite point you in the right direction you are going, there IS a setting on these mirrors for what area of the country you live.

Here is just a FAST google search of what im talking about.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...r-calibration-zone-setting-north-america.html

To do this, is simply hold down the Compass button till it changes to a number. Change number to your zone and done.

Let me know if there is anything I might have missed....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger