Rear View Mirrors and Trailers

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
Can you guys see over your trailers on your rear view mirror when towing your trailer? The first few times I towed my trailer, I used it as is - nothing on top of it.
Now, the last few times I have thrown my big-******** canoe on it, completely eliminating any use of the RVM. Found myself looking into it quite often and not liking
the fact that its use was eliminated. I was planning on installing a RTT in the future but not having use of the RVM has given me a bit of pause...
Any comments / opinions on Rear View Mirrors and towing your rig? Just curious more than anything :sombrero:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I can not see over my Horizon, but it doesn't really bother me. I can get a little view through the gap between the tent and the trailer itself, but nothing very useful. When backing or just to check traffic behind me I just use the side view mirrors. I do have parabolic stick-on mirrors on both sides.

I have truck camper that I can't see through at all, and also get a lot of practice at side view mirror driving while backing down our relatively long (~200 foot) driveway. Could be that's why driving the trailer doesn't really bother me that much.

I get a real trailer driving challenge backing the trailer up our driveway. It's steeply uphill, and has a few curves in both directions. It's great practice!

Uglyduck

Adventurer
I can't see out my RVM when towing but I'm used to using my side mirrors for backing anyway, work habit.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I'd rather be able to see around a trailer than over it. Something about seeing any part of a trailer prominently in the rearview mirror gives me a more 'secure' feeling. I guess it's being able to instantly see the state of the trailer relative to the tow vehicle... How it is/isn't moving around, etc. I'm less comfortable towing small, light trailers that hide behind the tow vehicle than I am with oversized things.

That being said, when I tow my buddy's M101A3 there's no way I can see over or around it with the stock mirrors on my FJC when traveling straight down the road. Sometimes I'll drift right-then-left just a little bit to check behind me, but mostly if someone is catching up to us I've seen them coming for a few minutes anyway. And yeah, it's a good argument for me to get some towing mirrors...

IMAG0192.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I very seldom even look in the RVM, pretty much useless on an FJ. I pull a 42 foot fifthwheel and my Base Camp trailer, watching the side mirrors are by far the best in both my dually and the FJ. Practice and you will become comfortable with them.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I can't see my trailer in the RVM, too low to the truck bed,
I can see it plain as day in the side "Elephant Ear" mirrors.
Soon to come is a rack for a RTT Then I will be able to see it in the mirror.

Everyone says the M101A2 is big, but it is small behind my HD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears