Rear winch installed in 2012 fj cruiser

Hobojon

I modified my Reese hitch to accept a Curt winch receiver mount from the opposite end, a piece of 1/4" angle iron as a cross member and lots of measuring and drilling....
still have to wire it up and section the rear cross member for a fairlead but as far as im concerned, the hard part is done. Its a Superwinch tiger shark 9500 with 92' of 1/2" synthetic. It is completely hidden from sight and fits perfectly between the rear cross member and the vapor canister. I clocked the clutch lever and it works great where it is. I attempted to clock the motor but there is only one set of mounting holes so i could only clock it 180 which put the cable terminals too close to the mounting plate so the solenoid was relocated to the jack storage area.

n4ysyo.jpg

2v1q0yq.jpg

50gsag.jpg

vl7bb.jpg

28vg0hc.jpg

28ahouu.jpg

33ok0so.jpg

2j5jo28.jpg

dyramf.jpg

2w3svts.jpg

Last edited:

Kayak Taco

without a fairlead you shouldn't do any pulls other than straight back. The winch body is not designed to have the cable pulling rubbing against the its sides under load. You will also likely damage that nice synthetic rope rubbing against the sides of the winch and whatever else you have between the winch and the exit.

That is a really cool mounting idea though, don't get me wrong. Very creative. could probably be done on a Tacoma with the spare re-located as well...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
But with this mount you can no longer use the hitch, right? Because the reciever has the winch mount in it?

I would also worry about off-center pulls without a fairlead and with a synthetic rope. Maybe you can fabricate some kind of small fairlead and put it on the back of the receiver since you won't be pulling a trailer anyway?

Hobojon

without a fairlead you shouldn't do any pulls other than straight back. The winch body is not designed to have the cable pulling rubbing against the its sides under load. You will also likely damage that nice synthetic rope rubbing against the sides of the winch and whatever else you have between the winch and the exit.

That is a really cool mounting idea though, don't get me wrong. Very creative. could probably be done on a Tacoma with the spare re-located as well...

Sorry, I thought it was obvious I wasnt done.
I am using a clevis for a temporary fairlead as seen in the pic. Its impossible for the rope to pull against the side of the drum. Does not matter, the new rear bumper with fairlead will be installed soon enough.

Last edited:

Hobojon

But with this mount you can no longer use the hitch, right? Because the reciever has the winch mount in it?

I would also worry about off-center pulls without a fairlead and with a synthetic rope. Maybe you can fabricate some kind of small fairlead and put it on the back of the receiver since you won't be pulling a trailer anyway?

No, this would be a total fail if i couldnt use my receiver hitch any longer. I cut a few inches off the end of the curt insert to make sure there would be plenty of room for any receiver insert on the other side. I tried all my different inserts and they all fit fine with plenty of room to spare.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
It looks like the line is coming off the top of the drum. This would give me concern. You'll probably be ok for light pulls, but the winch wasn't designed for this geometry. If it were mounted feet forward or feet up, it would be fine, but as is, it causes a lot of stress on the housing. Be careful!

Hobojon

It looks like the line is coming off the top of the drum. This would give me concern. You'll probably be ok for light pulls, but the winch wasn't designed for this geometry. If it were mounted feet forward or feet up, it would be fine, but as is, it causes a lot of stress on the housing. Be careful!

You're right. I corrected that when i finished wiring it up. Good eye.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman