Rear Zeon12 in 2020 CCLB F-350. Battery in rear with smaller cables feeding it vs. giant cables to rear. What's your pick?

My truck has dual alternators good for 397amps (I don't know at what RPM). I have (2) new Odyssey ODX-AGM65 batteries. I'll be running 4/0 cable for my 16.5ti in the front that I will connect at the battery with Anderson connectors when needed. Figured I would do the same for the rear winch. But I'm thinking another battery under the bed right near the winch might make more sense. I'll probably use it most to pull vehicles up on to a trailer, but I obviously don't want to burn it up if I'm stuck pretty good and need to get out in reverse. I have seen how people use a ton of snatchblocks to pull oneself out to the rear with a front mounted winch. I have enough blocks to attempt this, but I don't think I want to count on having all the proper anchor points. Plus I already had this Zeon 12 that was going to go on a wheeler project that keeps getting delayed so I figured why not throw it on the Ford.

If you think the battery is the way to go, what size battery and how would you wire it?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The wiring that would basically be charging the rear battery needs to be rated for those dual alternators generally speaking ( unless you are running two separate charge systems ), so that isn't going small wire either.

The wiring that would basically be charging the rear battery needs to be rated for those dual alternators generally speaking ( unless you are running two separate charge systems ), so that isn't going small wire either.
I didn't necessarily mean tiny. Probably a difference between running 4/0 25' back there and 1/0. But the more I pondered on it all day I kinda think I'm just going to run 4/0 all the way back. Batteries need replacing every so often. Wiring shouldn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior