Reasonable Internet service if you are not using Starlink?

austin3d

Yes you can do internet calling.

The starlink works so long as it can see the sky. It has worked everywhere for me. I get to some really remote spots in the west, I’ve also taken it to Alaska, Mexico and the Bahamas. No issues. It just works and is easy to setup. Last summer at lake Powell I shared the password with another boat camped close. Ended having of 40 users logged on to the WiFi. No problem, could still stream movies and make calls etc.
What would you say is your least favorite thing about your Starlink setup when it comes to overlanding with it? Looking to go this way with our next overland setup for general internet use when needed and perhaps some part time remote work here and there.

Hegear

Not sure really. Mines not mounted so sometimes I forget to put it in stow mode before I’ve unplugged everything. I have the rectangle gen 1. I think the new versions don’t move. Also a dc version would be nice, I know there are options out there to adapt but I keep hearing starlink will release something soon. Overall they just work, couldn’t be more impressed.

aknightinak

I'm on the verge of doing Starlink too, love to hear if anyone is using it on a truck camper in deep remote spots with success. Also can you do internet calling over it?
Not truck camping, but deep remote spots for sure: I did fieldwork in False Pass (Aleutians) and Pelican (SE AK) this spring. False Pass has marginal talk and text service; Pelican has no cell service but for an occasional bar at the farthest point in town.

StarLink was the only game in town in False Pass for Internet. We had our team of three and the two households of the B&B streaming at the same time, no issues. Pelican still has a competitor, Hughes Net, but StarLink was far superior. I connected to the harbormaster across the boardwalk on it rather than to the lodge on Hughes. Pelican is working to connect all of the city offices along the boardwalk with StarLink to have community-wide "phone" service. The city hall is at the edge of reach for the harbormaster, which is at the edge of reach of the library, and so on.

Teams (or presumably, Zoom or Skype) worked best for calls, but handheld calls connected with little lag and were generally flawless but for one number I always have trouble with that's been determined to be a carrier routing issue. In both locations, the fishers we interviewed reported defaulting to use wifi calling on their boats with StarLink mobile rather than VHF anymore.

Last edited:

WanderingBison

We have our G2 rectangle dish semi-permanently mount in a box on the roof, in stowed position so it’s virtually flat mounted, behind a sheet of Lexan to protect it for branches and hail and it’s a game changer!

Works in-motion, provide reliable and fast connections even when not pointed north and always at this slight forward angle (nearly flat) and the only challenge is tree cover (in remote areas).

That’s why it’s only semi-permanently mounted, which allows me to take it off the roof, turn the pointing motors back on, add an extension cable and get it to an area where it can get an ope view of the sky.

That said, Starlink is far more resilient to partial obstructions than it used to be.

As pointed out, it works well for Zoom/Teams/etc or a “cell over wifi” connection unless significantly obstructed. Unless I know I will need to be on a Zoom/Teams call, most times, i don't worry about obstructions as it doesn't interfere with email, cloud files, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rruff

Explorer
Anybody have insight on the title question?

I've never had internet when camping, so I think my expectations are low. If I can get any cell signal, and there isn't a big festival or gathering near, I should be able to get passable internet, yes? And better with a booster. I don't care about streaming movies.

I've notice that ATT seems to have better remote coverage than Verizon. However, you can get an unlimited data plan through Visible (Verizon) that is only $25/mo.

WanderingBison

I've never had internet when camping, so I think my expectations are low. If I can get any cell signal, and there isn't a big festival or gathering near, I should be able to get passable internet, yes? And better with a booster. I don't care about streaming movies.

I've notice that ATT seems to have better remote coverage than Verizon. However, you can get an unlimited data plan through Visible (Verizon) that is only $25/mo.

I think the essence of the replies is that there is nothing comparable to Starlink for remote areas.

Remote coverage is better with some carriers, AT&T, in some areas while other carriers will have better remote coverage in other areas.

I don’t know enough to say definitely but I don’t believe AT&T does as well as T-Mobile and Verizon in the west.

I have AT&T and I’m happy but in many remote areas where I get a bar or two (with or without booster), my service is still poor.

Yes, if you don’t need streaming or video calls, it might be plenty.

The short answer is that not one carrier has remote areas well served above the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ninelitetrip

Try these two sites for resources.

May 9 (Reuters) - T-Mobile (TMUS.O), opens new tab and Verizon Communications (VZ.N), opens new tab are in talks to buy parts of United States Cellular (USM.N), opens new tab in separate transactions, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.

Ninelitetrip

I have been looking at a Peplink MAX BR1 PRO 5GN WI-FI cellular router (MAX-BR1-PRO-5GH-T-PRM ) plus a Parsec Belgian Shepard rooftop antenna (PRO9BS4L4WG15B). Links below. The Parsec antenna has 10 cables; 4 WI-FI, 4 cellular, 1 GPS.

BR1 Pro 5G. The Classic Goes Sonic.

The 'classic goes sonic', why? The BR1 Pro5G is integrated with the new generation multi-core CPU ensuring delivery of gigabit speeds. Achieving 800% faster speeds than the original BR1 Classic.
www.peplink.com

parsec-t.com

Belgian Shepherd Antenna | Parsec Technologies

The Belgian Shepherd antenna is a rugged, high-performance, 5G antenna available with 4X4 MIMO Cellular, up to 4X4 MIMO WiFi, and optional Bluetooth & GPS.
parsec-t.com
parsec-t.com

https://parsec-t.com/wp-content/upl...on-Instructions_Belgian-Shepherd_Rev.-1-1.pdf

rruff

Explorer
I don’t know enough to say definitely but I don’t believe AT&T does as well as T-Mobile and Verizon in the west.
It does vary, but I'd put my money on ATT based on this map. https://map.coveragemap.com/signal-strength I can verify that I got zero signal south of Alpine TX a few months ago with Verizon, while others had no issue with ATT.

Starlink would surely be better, but more costly... plus they use ~100W when on, or so I've heard. I don't mind being unplugged part or even most of the time.

Ninelitetrip

Couple of mounting and 12 Volt solutions for StarLink.

aknightinak

I think the essence of the replies is that there is nothing comparable to Starlink for remote areas....

The short answer is that not one carrier has remote areas well served above the others.
This.

Remote areas mean much much less in subscriber dollars, which translates to much much less support from any given provider. Some communities around here even fall under a "carrier of last resort" designation, which essentially means nobody wants to serve the place with telecomm infrastructure, so some small, regional carrier gets stuck with it for little compensation. Starlink, however, only provides top dollar service with rural connectivity as its selling point, so it behooves them to make sure it works both wherever they say it will. and better than anyone else's.

Ninelitetrip

I believe T Mobile is the only US carrier operating in Band 71 600 mhz.

Supposedly has wider coverage in rural areas?

What is band n71 T-Mobile?

Band 71 covers the frequency range of 617 to 698 MHz. As a paired spectrum, the band includes two ranges of frequencies: 617 to 652 MHz is used for cell towers transmitting to mobile devices (downlink), and 663 to 698 MHz is for devices transmitting to towers.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
We have been using a Solis hotspot for years for our travels.
So long as there is a decent cellular signal, regardless of carrier, it will connect and provide wifi.
A variety of plans, we use the pay per GB plan.

We have had decent luck with it. And it does exactly as intended.
Just keep in mind that when here is no cellular coverage, it wont help you.

But it does exactly as advertised, and its cheap.
Ive been tempted to use it with a cellular booster, but haven't had the chance just yet.

alia176

Explorer
Old man, not quite a rant. I do somewhat miss it, but it seems starlink/access anywhere is going to interfere with no frills available campsites I've used for years with no coverage that others avoid.
I hear ya. I have Starlink at home and it's mounted permanently. Not once did I ever go "hmm, wonder if I should take this setup with me to go camping". Nope, not even once.

I camp to get off the grid and away from people, LOL!! Others have legit reasons for needing off grid solutions, and I respect that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179