Rebuild a $2k 80?

6btEX

Observer
You could eliminate it entirely if you replace torsion bars, coil springs, and shocks. The work it would take to remove the old and install the new, I'd just get a LC.

6btEX

Observer
You might get a little lift if you adjust the height sensors to trick the system, but it may have adverse effects.

tarbe

Observer
Very common to just remove the AHC and put in an OME lift.

If you need some spare accumulators, I have a full set here in Houston you can have for free. You just have to remove them from the frame rails! :)

Tim

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Also looking for my first LC.
No stranger to wrenching on old Yotas though.

So let's say you find a 95-97 80 with @220K on it, two owners with a clean body and virtually no rust underneath and absolutely none on the body or seam areas.

No lockers and undiagbosed AC issue.
Air bag light on as well.

What's the base value?

I realize this is a very open ended question. Sorry if it's to vague.

Last edited:

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench

Thanks...

I'm headed into TN to look at an 80 tomorrow.

Also digging around to see what services I need to perform once in my hands to get that "Baseline"

Anyone have a source for the factory service manual? In paper form if possible.

Crazy question,

Of one could score a set of 94 80series locked axles for 1K that had 105K miles on them, is that a good deal?

Last edited:

NCFJ

Adventurer
Not a bad price on the axles. If I were looking to lock an unlocked 80 I would skip the axles and go with either an ARB or a Harrop. Arguably better units and no removing the axle housings.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Not a bad price on the axles. If I were looking to lock an unlocked 80 I would skip the axles and go with either an ARB or a Harrop. Arguably better units and no removing the axle housings.

Agreed other low cost F/R locker option would be Aussie locks F/R but add locking hubs to front to disengage when not on loose surface. Could be done for about $1,400 in parts. Air lockers F/R and compressor kit is near double that.

Ward Harris

Terrain Tamer / Harrop
Agreed other low cost F/R locker option would be Aussie locks F/R but add locking hubs to front to disengage when not on loose surface. Could be done for about $1,400 in parts. Air lockers F/R and compressor kit is near double that.

Good advice, there. Another option is to put a manual locker in the back only. A lot of our customers only fit elocker in rear and do just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle

Members online