Recommend a fun .22 Rifle

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Asha'man said:
I concur. My Marlin 39A is one of the most fun, most accurate guns I've ever shot.
I will add some affirmation here. My mothers Marlin 39-A ( example ) is a treasured rifle that a third generation will learn to shoot with. It was handed down to me and will become my sons someday.
Very straight shooting, durable, easy break down, compact.
Worth consideration.

Browning Buck Mark FLD Target Gray Laminate Rifle

021030m.jpg

Awesome little plinking .22!

Bjorn

K2RVR

Adventurer
I love the .22 round, and the Ruger 10/22 after growing up with it. I think the .22 is great for training on accuracy, trigger control, and not fearing the pop affecting the tendancy to jerk. And it is just so much fun and cheap. The rifle and aftermarket parts are dirt cheap, especially for such a great little rifle.

After having a hard time getting used to the trigger on the glock, I bought an Advantage Arms 22LR conversion kit, which has already paid for itself. The glock is so much fun to shoot in 22LR and you can really get used to the trigger *snap* after running 1K rounds through it. Your thumb will be sore for days, however, from loading the magazine so much.

Just keep the AA conversion clean and well lubed, otherwise the stovepiping will start to bug you. It is easy enough to do a quick field clean after a few hundred rounds.

I know this is a Rifle discussion but think .22 Pistols are just as fun and inexpensive.

Last edited:

Bren_10

A fun .22 Rifle

Armalite/Charter Arms/Henry Arms AR-7
dissassembles & stores in buttstock and floats
Plus Sean Connery used one in "From Russia with Love";)

sami

Explorer
HMrifle_040405E.jpg

I love my Remington Fieldmaster pump action tube load... Accurate open sights, light and too easy to operate..

gary in ohio

Explorer
I vote for the little breakdown AR-7. Its fun by itself but with the sporter kits out there it can look a lot meaner than it really is.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I bought my 8 year old son a CZ Scout, bolt action. If it's any indication of how nice their full size 22's are, I'd have to give CZ a nod.
The downside is that there are a lot more add-ons for the Ruger 10-22.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Having owned and shot a huge variety of .22's you really can't go wrong if you buy quality. You can go really wrong if you do not, so choose brands that are well known or know that you may be taking some risk.

If accute accuracy is a high priority, then you need to look at the common brand names in bolt actions. Winchester, Remington, Anshutz, and Kimber come to mind.

Do not rule out a used rifle. It is pretty hard to hurt a .22 barrel unless deliberately abused. One of my best shooters was born in 1922

For plinking most any will do. Choose the brand & style that you like and go have fun it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998