Recommendations for Offroad (4x4 or AWD) & High-top Camper?

wtwnnil

I’d like to ask about your favourite setup that is 1) 4x4 or AWD, 2) High-top, and 3) moderately priced (about $50k).

In order to do some long-term remote work in the north of Canada, I’m trying to find a new camper. I need 4x4 or AWD to access the fieldsites, and I’m really hoping to find something with a high-top (although maybe I’m being overly ‘grandiose’ by wanting to stand up, 🧐 hahha).

Hightop Van: This would be ideal, but the Ford Transits and Sprinters with 4x4 or AWD are over $60’000 bare and without any camper modifications. The ones I’ve seen that are actually camperized go for well over $100+.
Delica: Delicas are a cool niche vehicle if I’m willing to sacrifice the high-top roof. Even so, I’ve heard their problematic with parts and labour. This is an especially big concern if I’m in remote areas in the North. At this point, if I’m sacrificing the high-top, there are probably options like a new AWD minivan that are more reliable.
There’s a 1996 Mitsubishi Delica JB500 4x4 (with only 35k kilometres on it) for sale nearby that looks intriguing. The low mileage makes me feel good, but I’m worried that if I’m out in the north and something goes haywire, I’ll be strapped for fixing it. Does anyone have advice on this particular model?
Truck-Camper Combo: A truck-camper combo seems the most reasonable to me. A relatively new truck and camper aren’t that expensive. However, I’ve had a truck-camper set up before, and I liked the idea of a single-unit (as in a high-top van like a Sprinter or that Delica JB500) rather than two separate pieces so that there’s no need to take the camper on/off, you can walk into the camper when you’re in the truck, things like this. Maybe I should just put up with those minor inconveniences!😅
Pop-Tops: Then there’s a pop-top (either on a low-roof van or a truck-camper). I had a pop-top camper, and I’m hoping to go with something that’s a hardtop. Maybe it’s just that I’ve been burnt because the pop-top I had was pretty cheap, old, and crappy. It gave me lots of headaches trying to raise and lower and problem-solve when it broke, or having to lift and lower it while it's raining, water getting in, etc. Also, I’ll be working through the winter, and I don’t imagine a pop-top's insulation is as good as a hardshell/hardtop.
Tow a Trailer: There’s the idea of towing a small trailer. I need to bring lots of gear, so this feels like a good option because I can stuff the truck full of field gear while I use the trailer as a dedicated home. Again, it’s a separate unit from the truck, which I’d like to avoid. More so, I imagine it’s a lot of extra consideration when you start towing a 20-ft trailer behind you, in that you have to think about where you can park, etc. Not to mention it could limit the ability to access some moderately-rugged fieldsites.

Does anyone here have a favourite choice for something with 4x4/AWD that has a high roof and isn’t prohibitively expensive? I’d appreciate hearing your thoughts!

My 2¢… a used truck and popup camper will be your chance of staying close to budget. A shell model camper with stove and furnace is not that expensive. ATC campers don't have the bling of other campers, but they’re well built and generally more affordable.

86scotty

Cynic
I'd find a used Sportsmobile or Ford/Quigley campervan with either a pop top or high top. There are plenty around in your budget.

However, your favourite ;) word and northern Canada plans lead me to believe you are already in Canada and I have no idea about these things up there, importing/pricing and such.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Sounds like your not dialed into your type of travel just yet. Can you try renting a couple of different rigs to see what you do and don't like? All platforms are a compromise, its just deciding what type of adventures do you get into most of the time. Truck and camper combos are the most versatile. Don't love the pop top- get a slide in- don't love a slide in- get a trailer ( but the truck stays the same) Personally as far as van ( I love vans) a Ford Econoline or dare I say it Chevy Express with a 4x4 conversion and a high top generally ticks all the boxes. Small enough to daily drive into cities, capable off road, plentiful parts.
You guys have access to more JDM parts - But after owning a Delica and chasing parts for MONTHS I would avoid it unless you happen to be very mechanically inclined.

wtwnnil

Thanks, everyone! @86scotty, what do you mean, eh? 🇨🇦 Hahah, yes, I'm Canadian. I'd never heard of Sportsmobile or Quigley conversions, so I'll keep my eyes open. Those might be ideal! Renting is a great idea too. I think the 4x4 conversion van with a high top would tick all the boxes, it might just be a matter of keeping an eye on the market for more time (ah, yes, patience)!

Sounds like you recommend against the Delicas (@Cummins_expo). Thanks for your advice. My hometown near Vancouver Island had a great Delica community (good for parts and shops that specialized in working on them). I'm now on the East Coast. If something breaks, fixing it feels like it would be enough of a challenge if I'm in a major city -- And even more problematic if I'm in a remote area. (Also, I'm not very mechanically inclined at the moment :rolleyes:)

As for off-roading, does anyone have experience with either a high-roof 4x4 conversion van or a hardtop slide-in truck camper? I wonder, is one better suited to handle moderately difficult terrain? I'm thinking, is the weight of a fully-loaded truck-camper greater than that of a 4x4 conversion hightop van, is the center of gravity better or worse on the van, fuel economy (for a 3/4 or 1-ton versus the camper).

Narrowing down my choices between just a slide-in hardtop truck camper and a 4x4 hightop van, does anyone have a preference, and how come? Thanks!

86scotty

Cynic
Oh wow, I figured you were well aware of Sportsmobiles and offroad American camper vans and had probably ruled them out already. Sounds like you have a lot to learn and I do not mean to sound like a Jerk. Read up here on the van forums and over at the Sportsmobile forum. They are very capable and ideal for your purpose. There are a million threads on preference between vans and truck campers, just start reading.

In Canada you might look for used Clydesdale vans, Tufport tops and many others I can't think of right now.

I've owned every imaginable camper/RV you can think of, and if not owned spent time in and around them. I don't at all want to sound like a know-it-all but I've always come back to vans. It's very much personal preference but I like the walk through of a van (security, incliment weather, stealth camping etc.) and I like the capability or the older domestic vans. Easily as capable as most Jeeps if properly built. The only other possibility for us would be a TigerRV if I could ever find one. If it won't fit in the silhouette of a standard parking space it isn't for me.

rruff

Explorer
I’d like to ask about your favourite setup that is 1) 4x4 or AWD, 2) High-top, and 3) moderately priced (about $50k).

In order to do some long-term remote work in the north of Canada, I’m trying to find a new camper. I need 4x4 or AWD to access the fieldsites, and I’m really hoping to find something with a high-top (although maybe I’m being overly ‘grandiose’ by wanting to stand up, 🧐 hahha).
Will you be living in this long term? It so, good insulation and a furnace would be high priority I think. And reliability and ruggedness. My first thought is a 1 ton 4x4 pickup with a Scout Kenai.

Do you live in Canada now? Is that Canadian $50k? Regardless, it isn't a very big budget for a good setup

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
4x4 converted ambulance could work as well depending on the below.

Regarding the "off roading", what type are you talking about? Parking off a forest road or in large open fields or? If you will be in a marshy or muddy place, weight should be a concern - truck and camper would be better suited for you. If you're in a field with no worries, either would work

wtwnnil

Thanks, yes I've got a lot learn!

Really great point, the walkthrough of a van would be ideal! As well, that's a good metric, to make sure everything fits in the silhouette of a standard parking stall is paramount. I imagine that an average truck-camper that can fit to (especially if it has a 6.5' box)? I think the main pinch-point is finding a 4x4 van available that isn't upwards of $100k or more.

Those Kenai's look amazing! A little steep on the price ($40k CAD), but I've seen some 3/4 and 1tons reasonably priced near me ($10-$20k), so that's workable! Also, the TigerRVs; amazing! I'm looking for a 'decent' setup, because of cost limitations, so it pragmatically might not check all the boxes.

I'll be living long-term. So good insulation is definitely needed, and I'll want a heater of some sort. And for off-roading, I'll be on forest service roads, some fields, and potentially a few muddy places with washed-out trails orboggy areas near boreal forests. If weight is a concern, do you recommend that a truck-camper would handle better?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Sounds like you'll need a bigger truck, might check out a used MOG, 5 ton box truck or military duce with a box.

wtwnnil

Those military trucks look awesome! But way too big.

One thought I have is to get a totally bare 4x4 Sprinter and then do the conversion myself with minimum alterations. I've built an electrical system already, so I think I can do that again. And I figure if I'm just installing a murphy bed and some cupboards, I could probably keep the price low. It'd be 'wabi sabi' in the end.

Otherwise, around where I live, there are a handful of trucks and campers available.

In reference to off-roading, is a 3/4 or 1-ton truck with a fully loaded camper (2500lb-3000lb) going to handle better than a 4x4 Sprinter camper (2500/3500)? I figure that the GVWR of both are about 9,000-10,000 lbs, and payload capacities are the same (around 3,000-3,500lbs) (Sprinter vs. F250/F350). Does anyone have thoughts on which of the two vehicles handles better (highway mileage, forest service roads, etc.)? Thanks so much to anyone with thoughts!

Last edited:

iggi

Ian
Van and 4x4 equals big budget. If you aren't an experienced builder with a shop and tools then the conversion will take far more time than you think. Also, the maintenance and repairs on the van platforms can be expensive. I recently had to get my injectors replaced. It was over double the labour compared to the same motor in the F series truck.
I'm 5 years into an ambulance to 4x4 camper conversion. Yesterday a buddy asked if I'd do it again. Probably not. It would have been a lot easier to go with a truck and camper setup. Sure, I would have had to make some compromises. (store my bikes and skis outside) but I would have spent a lot more time doing fun things and going on trips instead of working on the van.
For $50k CAD you can find a 4x4 truck and camper and be rolling in no time.
I'm gonna be $40k into mine plus thousands of hours that I'll never make back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior