Recommendations on suspension modifications on a 2020 Ram 2500 Diesel w/popup camper (1300lbs)

Thanks for all the input everyone. After talking with the guys at Thuren and Carli I decided to go with the Thuren setup (1 inch front springs, stock rear springs, front and back track bar) and their 2.5 Kings. Unfortunately the king shocks are over a year out (and you have to pay full price at time of order) so most likely will go with the basic 2.0 Fox and then order the Kings next year (sell Fox when when I install Kings).

One question I have is regards to the airbags. I am located in Flagstaff and decided to go to a local shop to get them done as I don't have a lift and getting under that truck without raising it is a **********. After having them for about two months they are leaking like crazy. I mean I have to pump them up before every trip and it also seems the passenger side one is installed crooked as it is leaning to the side. Basically I think the shop I got them installed screwed it up.

With that said I am thinking of just ditching them all together and getting Timbrens. Any thoughts from people that used both? Other option is going to a legit shop and getting the airbags reinstalled.

Thanks again for all the input. Much appreciated!

If you have airlift bags, I would call them and have them send you new lines and fitting. I had a leak with mine on one side, emailed air left and the sent out free replacement lines and fittings. About 20 min to replace, no lift needed, and no leaks since.

pkita99

If you have airlift bags, I would call them and have them send you new lines and fitting. I had a leak with mine on one side, emailed air left and the sent out free replacement lines and fittings. About 20 min to replace, no lift needed, and no leaks since.

I have firestone. I will try to reach out to them and see if they could do that. Thanks for the tip. I mean worst case I will just get a new set and have a legit shop put it. You live and you learn.

pkita99

Thanks for the info. FWIW,

On another note, I understand that the 3500 platform is heavier duty but I am not sure if i agree with those 100%. Ram 2500 is a 3/4 ton truck, it is not a sunday driver, it has pretty big hauling and towing capabilities. If that car cannot handle a 1500lbs load on a regular basis then what is the point of even making them? With that thinking every overland setup should be a unimog.

I have firestone. I will try to reach out to them and see if they could do that. Thanks for the tip. I mean worst case I will just get a new set and have a legit shop put it. You live and you learn.

Just a note, changing the lines is fairly simple, you could probably do it yoursel.

Chris W

On another note, I understand that the 3500 platform is heavier duty but I am not sure if i agree with those 100%. Ram 2500 is a 3/4 ton truck, it is not a sunday driver, it has pretty big hauling and towing capabilities. If that car cannot handle a 1500lbs load on a regular basis then what is the point of even making them? With that thinking every overland setup should be a unimog.

I agree 100%. I was shocked though when I weighed my setup fully loaded for a 2 week trip. I was at 11,150 including a dirtbike.

UglyViking

I'm fully of the belief that this boils down to the fact that RAM's answer to a 3/4 ton is to keep it under that 10,001lb reg limit. Ford/GM get around this by rating their 3/4 tons above 10k GVWR. The curb weights between the HD manufactures is basically identical, so it isn't like RAM is somehow building an absolute pig and the others are lighter on their feet.

It all boils down to lawyers. CJC and others will wave away from the RAM 2500 due to the payload sticker, that's it. If you're a 2500 owner do yourself a favor and look at the GAWRs, they add up to a lot more than the 10k GVWR.

Lastly, if only the yota/jeep crowd were half as concerned with payload as the HD crowd. Taco guys will toss 2k in the bed of their crew cab taco, with 34s and have that thing 2-3x payload numbers without thinking and drive it all around gods green earth, yet the HD guys are afraid to keep it under the GAWRs.

pkita99

I'm fully of the belief that this boils down to the fact that RAM's answer to a 3/4 ton is to keep it under that 10,001lb reg limit. Ford/GM get around this by rating their 3/4 tons above 10k GVWR. The curb weights between the HD manufactures is basically identical, so it isn't like RAM is somehow building an absolute pig and the others are lighter on their feet.

It all boils down to lawyers. CJC and others will wave away from the RAM 2500 due to the payload sticker, that's it. If you're a 2500 owner do yourself a favor and look at the GAWRs, they add up to a lot more than the 10k GVWR.

Lastly, if only the yota/jeep crowd were half as concerned with payload as the HD crowd. Taco guys will toss 2k in the bed of their crew cab taco, with 34s and have that thing 2-3x payload numbers without thinking and drive it all around gods green earth, yet the HD guys are afraid to keep it under the GAWRs.

Well said. This video is very relevant lol

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Another upvote for Thuren kings. Ive had the 2.5’s in my 06 for probably 10 years. My truck hauls/works hard almost everyday. I adjusted the valving abit from where he had them set(I added more rebound dampening). Ive rebuilt the rears a couple times(the shafts get knicked and tear seals when mounted ‘rightside up’) ive been running the rears ‘upside down’ for a couple years and the shafts look great. I had the carli airbags, i didnt love them, i currently have some timbrens i can remove/install in 5 minutes when i need to haul alot(they have pros and cons too).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richxd87

Observer
Another upvote for Thuren kings. Ive had the 2.5’s in my 06 for probably 10 years. My truck hauls/works hard almost everyday. I adjusted the valving abit from where he had them set(I added more rebound dampening). Ive rebuilt the rears a couple times(the shafts get knicked and tear seals when mounted ‘rightside up’) ive been running the rears ‘upside down’ for a couple years and the shafts look great. I had the carli airbags, i didnt love them, i currently have some timbrens i can remove/install in 5 minutes when i need to haul alot(they have pros and cons too).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What didn't you like about the Carli airbags? I currently have firestone bags and constantly wonder if the Carlis would be an upgrade.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
What didn't you like about the Carli airbags? I currently have firestone bags and constantly wonder if the Carlis would be an upgrade.

They really need more lift than the add-a-packs provide so i was getting some premature wear on the bags where they rubbed(this what Carli told me after I sent them photos of the wear and my suspension specs). Unfortunately a carli dealer originally told me the carli bags would be the best for that settup. They also seemed more ‘squishy’ when heavily loaded.

Id do the firestones with daystar cradles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger