Recommended Air Bag Suspension? 2003 Double Cab with Camper

TheRedDawn

Observer
Hey everyone.

I just picked up a new cab over camper for my 2003 Tacoma TRD double cab that weighs in around 800-1000 pounds, (somewhat of a guess). I'll be traveling with another 500-1000 pounds, (kind of another guess) for work 5-8 times a year. Most of this work travel will be highway.

Given the max payload for my truck is around 1300 pounds, I believe I need to invest in an air bag suspension system?

here's my 2 questions:
1 - Is an Air Bag Suspension the correct solution for exceeding my max payload?
2 - If yes, what brand do you reccomend?, (All i seem to find on the web is Air Ride and Ride Control)

Thanks. Here's a link to my camper if interested, (I believe it's one of a kind): http://picasaweb.google.com/TheRedDawn1/Camper#5247483955249764482

rambrush

Adventurer
Air bags will help stabilize the load and assist with sway.
The frame, differential and wheel bearings were all designed for the factory weight rating.
Plus the air bags will cause a pivot point if to much weight is placed behind the rear tires. This causes the front to lift. which is not a good thing.
I run the firestones 2245's on my 06 Tundra and they work great for my needs. But I don't use them for excessive weight control.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Bags

I think the Firestone bags are what you need. I have had them on less than a year and they have NEVER leaked. I never had the bleed down some people describe. PS Summitt Racing was the best deal I found.

On a side note... I am taking mine off this month when I install my OME lift. If you are interested in a used pair, PM me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman