Recovery Bag options (other than an ARB bag)...

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
I use two lightweight hard sided aluminum cases, big and smaller - one for the bulky stuff like long straps, and the other for small but heavy pieces like pulleys and D-rings.

verdesardog

Explorer
If I had a bag large enough to hold all my recovery gear I wouldn't be able to carry it!

recovery gear.jpg

Have I used it all? yes! but not all at the same time LOL

91AzXJ

Adventurer
I have a couple of large 50 cal ammo cans which holds most of it and a canvas bag for the straps.

m715

I've used military surplus ammo cans before as well. I found the flat style worked well for the snatch block and shackles, and are pretty much indestructible. Pelican cases are very nice and extremely tough, but generally expensive...make a friend with a dealer. If your on a budget watch for a sale on the craftsman wide mouth tool bags, come in many sizes, they hold up pretty good and are very inexpensive.

xplrn42

Adventurer
Pelican cases are very nice and extremely tough, but generally expensive...make a friend with a dealer.

And keep an eye on craigslist. I recently found three for basically the price of one. (Military person returning and moving)
A 1650 (upper/lower foam), a 1520 (85%foam left), and an 1120 (full foam), all for less than a full foam 1620.
Bought a used 1620, that I keep all my recovery gear in, last year (no foam) for $80.
You still have to pay but it's a lifetime investment.

m715

And keep an eye on craigslist. I recently found three for basically the price of one. (Military person returning and moving)
A 1650 (upper/lower foam), a 1520 (85%foam left), and an 1120 (full foam), all for less than a full foam 1620.
Bought a used 1620, that I keep all my recovery gear in, last year (no foam) for $80.
You still have to pay but it's a lifetime investment.

Craigslist is a good idea, great find with the 3 cases there...
and your right about the pelican case as a lifetime investment. I've had 2 small pelican cases for 15+ years, they have traveled 20k+ miles around alaska and the yukon territory. They are showing sings of wear but still function 100%.

I was actually just looking at a couple different military surplus containers on craigslist, kind of odd shapes...
1) Gear rack mount cases - $50 - http://binghamton.craigslist.org/msg/4022319123.html
- this one is interesting, I wish it was a top load case, but if you strip out the server rack it might be pretty good.
2) Prepper cans. military Cans - $35 - http://binghamton.craigslist.org/grd/4050854485.html

motoz

Adventurer
Heres a kit I put together recently

y4y9ata6.jpg

9ama7ade.jpg

6ymusa6a.jpg

All up there's:

2 x snatch straps
3 x tree trunk protectors
3 x snatch blocks
1 x 6m drag chain
1 x 15m / 10mm synthetic winch extension
Gloves, overalls etc.

It's probably overkill though I've got a spare solenoid for the winch just in case I fry one.

:Shock:

various shackles, synthetic rope sleeve,

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the suggestions. Will definitely check out some of these bags. Lyle on the MP bag, are there any pockets in the bag or is it just one big compartment? I like having the pockets to help compartmentalize the gear.

I know a bunch of you like the Pelican and other hard cases. I don't. Although they've secure and water tight, they just end up wasting space when they're not fully packed.

Ray_G

Explorer
Like others I don't have all my stuff in one spot-I have a couple of small roof rack mounted plastic boxes that hold tree savers (learned the hard way not to open the back door of the Disco in a variety of stucks...unless she's totally on her roof the boxes are accessible). That being said I eventually moved the other stuff into a Pelican 1510 that suits my needs.

Prior to that I was using bucketboss bags like these: http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-88838-Gatemouth-Junior/dp/B000W88642/ref=pd_sim_hi_18
They wore very well over a period of years and I have no complaints about them.
r-
Ray

4x4BNB

Adventurer
I picked up two 13" craftsman tool bag at Ace hardware yesterday for $4.99 a piece...don't know if ill use them both right now but, it loaded one up with my air hose, tire repair kit, air gauge, extra church, and a ca of fix o flat :)

Gooseberry

Explorer
I found some nice and pretty cheap bags at a local army surplus in LA and use them. Two hold all my gear plus extra bits. This one has my snow chains in it
upyqazap.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

irish_11

Explorer
I've been using one of these for 5 years. It has held up well. Lots of space for gear, pockets for shackles, etc. I have two smaller ones that I use for tools and spare parts. I have loaned out the big recovery bag quite a few times and people seem to like the layout. Home Depot sells it in a two pack FYI one big bag and one small.

81C93uyjRHL._SL1500_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger