Red October Build

Ala5ka

VX'er
new struts and shocks!

photo-13.jpg

When you got those front shocks were you like "are those the right ones" that's what I did, the rear ones are so long and the front ones look like they came off of a car haha, my rear ones do look longer than those though, but maybe its just the angle

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
at first yeah, but after i thought about it there is 6" of travel in these and the struts are mounted 8 or so inches inboard so the wheel arc is greater.

i think its the angle, because i have about a foot of compression on the rears, they're built for 1" of lift

im hoping to put these on tomorrow

Allroader

Observer
Hi,

Congrats to you daugther. :wings:
Sweet looking Truck. I understand you on the Raptor, but the thing is really cool. Since i also have been looking into getting a raptor I searched around and found a Dealer selling them 98$ over invoice. (East Coast) Be more then happy to pass that Info along, to who wants it.

If you make to down to Ft. Myers, just stop by.

Mike

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Hi,

Congrats to you daugther. :wings:
Sweet looking Truck. I understand you on the Raptor, but the thing is really cool. Since i also have been looking into getting a raptor I searched around and found a Dealer selling them 98$ over invoice. (East Coast) Be more then happy to pass that Info along, to who wants it.

If you make to down to Ft. Myers, just stop by.

Mike

Thanks but I'm stuck with this thing for probably 5 years. By the time I'll get around to getting a raptor it'll probably be electric lol

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
so we're looking at a total of 2" lift on the front, and 1" in the rear. im really pleased with these bilstein struts and shocks. they work VERY well and ride excellent on the street. i wont know for a while how they work offroad, but i already know im going to have to upgrade to total chaos upper control arms. ($750)

i think the truck looks great, and is all ready for 35's

photo-3.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

KaiserM715

Adventurer
Looking forward to your progress. Nice to see some other new Fords here. I don't know why they didn't offer the black trim in the head and tail lights from the factory. It looks a lot better than the chrome trim.

I am lucky enough to have a Raptor and I use it like it was intended.

IMG_2857.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I didn't realize that you were in Louisville...

The truck looks good. I'm also running the Bilstein 5100s on my '06 F150 with the fronts set at 2", with 3" rear blocks replacing the factory 2" block. Stock 18's with 35x12.50s, 4.56 gears, front and rear lockers. My Bilsteins only had the spring seat slots for stock height or +2" up front, I may actually be removing them and having a machine shop grind a slot for 1". They are great on the road, but only leave around 2" of droop from ride height so they top out easier than I like off road. Plus I've ordered a small slide-in camper, and the extra weight on the back will make the front want to come up more in some situations.

If I were you I would look at the camburg upper controls arms. They recently revised them, they are now a 1.25" uniball and a more clearance-friendly shape. The old upper arms specified 4.5" backspacing, new ones say 4.75" backspacing. Stock wheels should be 5.5" backspacing so 3/4" spacers should clear depending on the tire.

I don't know if the wheel wells are much different between the 04-08 and newed F150s, but if they are the same you are going to rub with 35x12.50s and spacers. My 35x12.50s barely fit without rubbing anywhere, on the stock wheels. If I pushed them out at all they would rub on the fenders when turning. There is no room on the other side because the clearance between the sidewall and upper control arm is about 1/2".
My next tires will probably be 285/75R18 (35x11.50) Toyo Mud Terrains. They will feel a lot better on the 7.5" wide wheels and may world better with the spacers you are running. There is an outfit in Illinois that sells them for a great price. Okay, great price is relative. For that tire and that size it is a great price.
http://www.tiresdirect.net/TOYO_Open_Country_MT_LT285_75R_P4741.cfm

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
are you in louisville as well?

i'll look into the camburg ones. i had looked at them before but had heard such good things about the total chaos ones that i figured id just go with those.

the wheel wells are different in the 09+, they're a bit larger and the valances are more clearance, plus the front suspension was given 1.25" more height over the previous body style. so any lift i put on the truck actually has another 1.25" because of the way the spring perches are welded on.

thanks for your information, but im still going to stick with the generals in 35x12.50. they're E rated rather than D so they should feel pretty good on the narrow wheel.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
lets just say the nightshades didnt work, but its okay - i fixed it anyway.

photo-14.jpg

and my grille came in. now this is a lead up of something utilitarian. in order to keep with my desires of a clean profile and not having anything be excessive or brawny, i wanted to mount a set of lights behind the grille. unfortunately the factory grille is made in such a way that thats pretty much impossible. so thats a project for a little bit down the road

e289e6ea.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12