Red River Gorge Area of the Danial Boone National Forrest.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Went to the Red River Gorge Area of the Danial Boone National Forrest in KY last weekend with a couple guys in the Indiana Overlanders. It rained quiet a bit, and it's hard for a fat old cripple to get around in rugged terrain, but man is it worth it. Absolutely beautiful area. I liken our camp to the bottom of a heavily wooded Grand Canyon. The narrow, twisty roads seem small when driving a full size and passing another full size going the other way. Even if you do slide off, the trees would stop you from rolling down too far. The area is big with rock climbers. Plenty of challenging faces to scale, for the young and fit. Many camp spots are a park and hike in affair, but you don't have to go far. Many camp within a few yards of the road. We had a spot where we could pull the rigs off and point our tailgates into the fire. It was fun getting out of that spot too after all the rain, and I lost a front hub. Enough cannot be said for the rugged mountains in fall color. God's country.

One lane tunnel.

Last edited:

gmoneyluv

The Red River Gorge is a spectacular area. We've been climbing there since 1991. Love the pic of the Nada tunnel. Heck, love all the pics!

IthrowWrenches

Adventurer
I've burned many tanks of gas in that area. The whole Daniel Boone National Forest has great trails. We usually go 3 or 4 times a year. Never gets old!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle