Red Wing Heritage Boots

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Wore vasque veloctys forever. And loved them. Velocity 2s were JUNK. Now no more vvelocity at all. Wearing Salomon ultras now. They are ok, but not as good for me as the velocity
Ya know, Jackie, I'm so jealous of you guys with little feet that can buy shoes anywhere...
Dang you anyhow. :ylsmoke:

I bought a pair of Vasque (don't remember the model) when I was hiking in Banff a couple of years ago. Lasted me that trip and another couple of months before the sole cracked in half under the ball of my right foot.
They were too narrow anyhow but were the only things I could find in a pinch up there.

Shoeman

Observer
I've asked before another thread, but I've still not got any feedback if anyone has tried Viberg boots. Seem to be good and come in a range of sizes/widths
http://viberg.com/

Wow! $650+ USD boots! Makes the RW Heritage line seem like a bargain. Also interesting that their list of dealers are all located in major cities throughout the world. None listed where a farmer or timber cruiser might live and use them. Nice looking stuff though. Another case of a boot marketed towards the Range Rover at the country club set if you ask me. No offense to any of you here who fit that description though! I'm just jealous.

redneck44

Adventurer
Hence why I would like to see some feedback on them.
I don't mind paying money for good quality equipment, I've sure blown enough on expensive (alledged quality) junk.

4runnerteq

Explorer
So, forgive me asking a work question. I fitted as a 12B at the local RW store. Your suggestion in the Beckman? As a start?

Shoeman

Observer
So, forgive me asking a work question. I fitted as a 12B at the local RW store. Your suggestion in the Beckman? As a start?

Start with 11.5D but make very sure that you do not hit the end with your toes. If you do, it'll have to be a 12D and some insoles probably. Heel fit will be poor no matter what. Are you ordering online or from a store? No worries with a work question like that at all.

Shoeman

Observer
Wore vasque veloctys forever. And loved them. Velocity 2s were JUNK. Now no more vvelocity at all. Wearing Salomon ultras now. They are ok, but not as good for me as the velocity
It would be interesting to hear what disappointed you about the 2.0's.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Likely from Zappos, but possibly from the local store. I had 3 pair of the 2.0s and the "air" heal blew out of all of them. The first pair within just a few hours of hiking. I heard a squish squishsquish every step. Got exchange pair, only lasted about a week. Conctacted Vasque and they admitted there was a production problem, could maybe try a later pair. Same thing. threw them out. The original Velocity was probably one of my favorite shoes ever, especially back when they had the 4 colors. I had one of each,yellow,red, blue,grey. Wore every one until they were slick on the bottom. Backpacking was great with them. Lightweight and grippy. Very breathable. I wear Salomon Pro 3DS now, I like them ok, but nowhere near the Vasque "fit" for me. Seems to be a great shoe other than not the best fit for me. Im learning to like them

Shoeman

Observer
Zappos is handy that way with their easy return policy. Hate to say that, being in the biz, but it's true. Too bad about the Velocity experience you had. I have not seen that, but if the pairs you had came out of the same run it's very possible to have a bunch of duds. We had a problem with their Wasatch packpack boot soles breaking right at the flex for quite awhile. Some customers of ours went through 3 or 4 of them, then Vasque changed the design and fixed it. Good thing was that Vasque stood behind every pair I took back and exchanged with no questions asked, and it was dozens of them. They are very good about that, being part of Red Wing.
I hope you can get the Beckmans to work for you, they are damn nice boots.

scramfan01

Adventurer
Shoeman, you have been a wealth of information. Also goes for Cruiserbent, and as always, Hilldweller. I bought the Asolo Fugitives a few years ago. I didn't care for the red on them at first, but I got used to that. The soles were VERY slick, and stayed that way for at least a year. No matter how I tried to skuff them up. They eventually got better. I have had lots of high quality boots, but these have been the most comfotable boots, by far, I have ever worn (sorry Danner and Red Wing). I bought a new pair about a month and a half ago, and they seem to be much stiffer and hard to break in. I don't remember a break-in period at all on my first pair. It does seem like the soles grip better though. Maybe a different compound? Anyway, you mentioned that your co-workers thought they were heavy. I haven't noticed that at all. But it got me thinking, maybe I should try the Piuma's.
I still have a pair of the Italian sundowners. Good stuff. You're going to have trouble with the Heritage shoes if you wear a B. D and EE only in production right now. Rules me out too. Asolo's are great, we started carrying them a couple of years ago. They make some lighter styles. I've been wearing Piuma's for about 8 months now as my daily shoe at work along with some Powerstep insoles and my feet and legs thank me. Some of the other guys wear Fugitives but they pay the price by the end of the week. Too hard and heavy for daily wear but great in the woods. I'm also a big fan of the Vasque Breeze series. Used a pair of the GTX version last summer on a two week camp/hike trip here in Maine. Easy break in and great trail performance with a heavyish day pack. They are also very reliable. We rarely see a defect or failure with them. Same goes for the Asolo's. Keen and Merrell not so much.

Shoeman

Observer
Thanks. This thread has really drifted all over the place, mostly do to me, and I apologize for that. Sold a fair amount of Danners too, good shoes but drifting up in price and some of the styles have gone backwards in design I feel. Soles mostly, and that's only on the imports.
Allow me to ramble on a bit more. I really get a kick out of the fact that the Asolo's are designed and uppers cut in Italy, then everything is boxed up and trucked to Romania for assembly and boxing, then sent back to Italy for distribution around the world. Pretty unique. I sometimes, with the right customer, joke that you get a free AK with each purchase. If you punch in the coordinates shown on the tongue label (45'48'53"N 12'13'03"E) you can see the company HQ.
And I'll add my two cents on shoes like the Vibergs that Redneck44 asked about. They are beautiful shoes and appear to be very well made. A little further looking on my part showed me that they cater to two different markets. They are not alone in that respect as the title of this thread indicates as well. The first stuff from them I saw the other day was the urban fashion lines, very nice and very expensive. Today I found their workboot line. Looks very good, many are so similar to Danners, Whites, and a Red Wing or two I'd have to look closely to tell them apart on somebodies foot. The pricing is right in like with those brands too. Looks to be a good value for your dollar. I see a few imports in the line, but that's an economic reality these days. I will say that their urban line is in my experience way too expensive for what it is. There is nothing in a shoe like that to make it that expensive other than cache and marketing. The assembly methods are no different from the RW Heritage or Whites/Hathorn or a Limmer for example, and those boots sell for substantially less. I've been in shoe factories and seen the "old fashioned" build methods used in these types and the "new" methods used in less expensive shoes as well. The actual cutting, sewing, adding hardware, etc. is really the same operation no matter what the shoe. Material qualities can of course vary all over the place based on the manufacturers specs and the price does correspondingly. Shoe making, unless done by one guy by hand all the way through, is a sort of hybrid of new and old craftsmanship. Some machinery is of newer design and can speed the process up a bit, but by and large almost all operations involved require people to stand or sit at a machine and do something by hand that takes a bit of time to get good at. Lasers nowadays project a cross hair on the last so the guy pulling the upper on and stapling it to the last can get it straight 99% of the time, and scanners and computers tell the cutter how to get maximum use of a hide by arranging his dies. But it is still by far a hands on operation and labor intensive, and that is the most costly part of the process, labor. In the US, heavy native steer hides as used by all the rugged boot builders sell for approx. $1.08/lb wholesale. It's a commodity you can track for fun. Other parts of shoes and boots are typically priced in the cents range at cost, not dollars, other than the outsoles. Transportation costs figures in to get that stuff to the factory too. To any of you in manufacturing this is no new news. Then there is marketing, distribution, health plans, etc that add to the wholesale cost. I'm drifting here, but my point is that $400-$500 and up shoes are not valued at that level because of how they are made and how long they will last or perform. You are paying for something else.

redneck44

Adventurer
Thanks Shoeman, that is great insight into the industry, and apologies as I should have mentioned it was the work boots I was interested in.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Well, I went to the Red Wing store and it was a failure. :(

The Braddock device doesn't agree with me on the term "fit". It says you're size X and size X crushes my toes together and shoves them into the wedge-shaped front of the boot.
Sorry, but my feet aren't shaped that way...
ouch
So he brings out something called a King Toe and I tried them on. Not too bad for the right foot but too narrow for the left. They were a D width because he says that a wide width will be too big around.
Right. That's my whole point. They don't have wide boots that aren't fat boots.

Back to the beginning for me.
Hope yours fit, Jackie.
And thanks again, Shoeman. You tried.

For point of reference, Shoeman, this is what I wear most of the time. That fits:
http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/gobi-ii-suede-light-brown-mens?colour=Lt Brown
http://www.lemsshoes.com/Mens-Boulder-Boot-Brown_p_87.html
These are cut to fit a foot shape, not try to make a foot fit a boot shape...
I want these in a more robust build. Then I can declare victory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online