Regular Cab Tacoma as overland vehicle? Thoughts?

98tcoma3rz

Observer
Hey guys and gals,
I have done quite a few mods to my 98 Tacoma regular cab. I'm wanting to build a rig for overlanding. I am planning to drive from Pennsylvania to Alaska next year. I rarely see a regular cab built for overlanding. It will only be my dog and I but for local trips the girlfriend will join me. What are the advantages of double cabs and xtra cabs besides the space obviously. I plan on getting a roof top tent mounted on top of my cap. Also plan on adding a TRD supercharger and cruise control.

20150425_155404.jpg

shabba

Observer
theres plenty of regular cab tacomas built for overlanding. your truck looks great man. please start a build thread/blog of your adventure

deadbeat son

Explorer
I would love to have a regular cab, but I bought the DC because I needed the back seat. I'd prefer an extra foot of bed to an extra foot of cab, but it was a compromise I had to make.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Been running a 96 reg cab since 2004. It has been on alot of long trips. I am rebuilding the truck now from top to bottom. Xcab would be nice sometimes to have more in cab storage and organization, But offroad ability of reg cab is better.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The longer wheelbase of the Xtra/DC can yield a more comfortable long-distance ride, but the reg-cab is lighter and has more payload capacity. I'd use whatever you already have.

Derek24

Explorer
Everyone who sells their little yotas always wish they had it back! Just you and your dog and your comfortable already then you are good to go!

codybutz

Observer
I agree, use what you already have. But I will warn you about how easily, just you and the dog, changes. First it's you and the dog, then the girlfriend wants shotgun and your best friend gets pushed to the bed. Then you need an extra cab for the new baby seat, all of a sudden you really need a double cab for the second baby seat ( your dog is ready to jump out of the bed about this time, and run from all these new additions to the family). About this time you start day dreaming about how it use to be just you and the dog, the "GF" snaps her fingers, which brings you back to reality as you are walking out of the local toyota dealership, the proud new owners of a 4runner. Ask me how I know all about this :xxrotflma

lndhark

Adventurer
Way back before "overlanding" was dope, I explored the desert Southwest in my '86 regular cab short bed. Heck it went all sorts of places with the stock Dunlop 225/15's and a set of KYB gas shocks! Even earlier than that, I had a few family members that had '79 and '81 standard cab Toyotas (because that was the only cab you could get!) and we'd take through the entire length of Death Valley. You're all set!

lndhark

Adventurer
I agree, use what you already have. But I will warn you about how easily, just you and the dog, changes. First it's you and the dog, then the girlfriend wants shotgun and your best friend gets pushed to the bed. Then you need an extra cab for the new baby seat, all of a sudden you really need a double cab for the second baby seat ( your dog is ready to jump out of the bed about this time, and run from all these new additions to the family). About this time you start day dreaming about how it use to be just you and the dog, the "GF" snaps her fingers, which brings you back to reality as you are walking out of the local toyota dealership, the proud new owners of a 4runner. Ask me how I know all about this :xxrotflma

:sombrero: I was just about to say "looking for a used 100-series." Ha! Ha!

98tcoma3rz

Observer

lol yeah I've thought about all that too...Not there yet haha.

TripLeader

Explorer

Good advice. Just consider about what your needs will likely be in 3-4 years before you spend $5000+ on a 17 year-old single cab truck. Good luck with whichever route you go!

codybutz

Observer
Write this day down, Famous last words,.... "you're not there yet". If you are the type to keep a car forever you might think about the long game. If you switch cars every fews years no big deal.

98tcoma3rz

Observer
Write this day down, Famous last words,.... "you're not there yet". If you are the type to keep a car forever you might think about the long game. If you switch cars every fews years no big deal.

I switch cars quite a bit but I don't plan on ever getting rid of this truck. I love it too much. If anything, maybe one day i'll turn it into a trail rig. SAS it. I am pretty partial the gen1 tacomas.

little_joe

Observer
Have you done any lengthy road trips in your Taco? I drove my '04 7 hrs on a road trip and about 2/3 way through realized how much it sucked - for me, because of lack of seat adjustability. Everything else was fine and I truly loved that truck, but I was not looking forward to the ride home. But if you've done long trips and find it acceptable, by all means - enjoy and use it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears