Reliability of newer Dodge Ram HD's

jaygoss

I've been thinking about a new Ram 2500 double cab 4x4 with a Cummins TD and manual transmission. I've checked out the Fords and GM's and, unless I've missed something, you have to get an automatic trans with those brands if you want the diesel double cab configuration, so Dodge it is. I recently heard that with the Dodge product the drivetrain is bulletproof but there are quality issues in other areas such as wheel bearings, steering system, window regulators, low quality plastics, etc. The person with whom I was speaking was a sample size of one- and he doesn't have any first-hand experience himself; only here say, so I was wondering if I could get the perspective of a few of you out there who may have insight into the matter? How do the new (last 5 year model) Dodge trucks compare quality-wise to the other full size domestic HD trucks?

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I've got an 2006 2500 ctd automatic. The general opinion I've gathered from other owners(I've also reached myself) over the past 2.5 years I have had my truck is that most buy it for the motor, and plan to deal with the Dodge shortcomings when they appear.

Mine has about 65k and I'm putting in new balljoints and axle ujoints today. I've recently upgraded the shocks, coils, trackbar, steeringbox brace, rear swaybar, front swaybar endlinks and I have airbags in back. The new front end and suspension drives awesome!

I'm also at the point where I'm going to need to do something about the steering linkage. The most popular upgrade is swapping it out to the 2008.5 upgrade, but Dodge is in the middle of a massive recall on those so that doesn't give me much confidence.

-Chris

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Mine is an '07 PW petrol, but the steering issues are the biggie- read this: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/62790-07-Power-Wagon-w-Ute-bed-extras-warranty. I have corrected them but at considerable cost. The wheel bearings are unit bearings, and must be replaced, not serviced- mine have been done once under warranty at 18k miles. I love this truck, but am going back diesel, and have elected to go Ford for many reasons, not the least of which is the new motor w/ 400/800 rating and getting an honest +20mpg on trips again. The new automatics 'ain't bad' in all reality. And I have it on 37s for minimal cost/fuss, and have had great luck in the past with this generation Ford ('99 on). But kinda like a Rover- I'll really miss the PW as she is an amazing truck!! Maybe that (Rovers) is where I have learned to follow my brain and not my heart regarding trucks...

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they are all unit bearings now. I was just talking to my uncle and he has had numerous problems with his ford.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RU55ELL

Explorer
If you are buying newer than 06, do yourself a favor and go ahead and get an upgraded clutch and remove the DPF. The emissions systems are a huge headache, the clutch barely less.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Are Dodges supposed to turn off one of the headlights in the day/morning when you turn on your turn signal?

I've seen two do that this week. Just a weird coincidence? A glitch in the Matrix? I think Dodge has a great design, but poor QC, and even worse technicians and warranty work in the Ohio area.

rbgerrish

Nee-nuu Nee-nuu!
I have a 5.9 2007 2500 6 speed. I bought it for the engine and tranny, which are legendary! Only 44k miles, but no other problems. Great mileage and a real lever to shift into 4wd!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My '07 5.9 has never darkened the door of a dealer. No squeaks,rattles,but minor wind noise with the camper. I have upgraded my suspension and have the '08.5 steering.

The clutch is still fine@ 36K w/24/7 camper load and Smarty on 30 rwhp increase. Tires are 34" tall.

Everyone's using unit bearings and when mine go,hopefully I'l have the dinero for the Dynaloc upgrade. The def must be figured into the cost of the new Fords and Chevys with an accompanying additional injection system. The four thermostats and cab removal for most repairs would scare me away from the 6.7 Fords. Get on the Ford forums before reaching a decision.

I will admit that if Ford tucked the overbuilt Cummins under the bonnet,I'd buy one.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Ford cab removal to preform major service has been done since the '99s, and no biggie. Found out the hard way when I had a diesel Quigley and that is not an option on the vans- get to drop the whole front axle/steering/susp and the interior doghouse to try to access it...
Agree on the unit bearing issue, but the Ford repair is readily avail- not sure on the Dodge, but it wasn't when I looked some time ago...
Also, my PW has had zero issues other than the factory steering which I just couldn't stand, and fixed, and the unit bearings. Otherwise, no dealer visits...

LimaMikeMike

Observer
Are Dodges supposed to turn off one of the headlights in the day/morning when you turn on your turn signal?

I've seen two do that this week. Just a weird coincidence? A glitch in the Matrix? I think Dodge has a great design, but poor QC, and even worse technicians and warranty work in the Ohio area.

2006-2009 Canadian models with DRL's do that, completely normal but annoying. Coincedence some Benzes up here do it to.

Last edited:

Fish

Adventurer
If you are buying newer than 06, do yourself a favor and go ahead and get an upgraded clutch and remove the DPF. The emissions systems are a huge headache, the clutch barely less.
Hmmmm... regcabguy and I will have to check our '07 5.9's for DPF's. ;) The DPF didn't kick in until the '07.5.

I can tell you that I sold my '99 Ford 7.3 (the "good" Ford diesel) for a '07 Dodge 5.9. I love the Dodge as compared to the Ford. My Ford rode like crap compared to my Dodge.

I've only had mine in the dealer once for warranty work. An idler pulley went south. I probably should have followed up on that squeak a few weeks before it totally failed.

Booner

Observer
My 2006 has been trouble free so far, 88K miles. I have the 5.9 48RE combo, both have been solid and reliable. We tow a travel trailer that weighs about 8K loaded and have no problems in the mountains. The 5.9 gets us 17-18 in town and 20+ on the highway. The truck is all stock, Fleetguard oil filter/Baldwin fuel filter.

lllateralus

Observer
Ford cab removal to preform major service has been done since the '99s, and no biggie.

The cab does not need to be removed to R & R the engine on any 7.3 diesel, up to and including my 2003 split year 7.3.

I personally believe the ford is a more solid truck from a tranny, chassis, body and overall quality standpoint, but the only new diesel truck I would consider purchasing would be a new Cummins Dodge.
MY reasoning has nothing to do with the Dodge itself... only that I would never purchase a new super mega complex 6.7 Ford, and would never own a GM vehicle.

I honestly do not have a lot of confidence in any Chrysler product, as they have consistently been rated as the lowest overall quality of the big 3. That does include the Mexico built Dodge Ram.

haven

Expedition Leader
Hilldweller has had problems with his late model Power Wagon. Paging Mr Hilldweller...to the white courtesy phone, please...

warejn

Observer
I work for a fire department and we have had Ford chassis since 2000. 2 years ago we purchased our first Dodge for a medic unit ( ambulance) and we have been buying Dodge ever since. We have about 75k on the first one and other than a few minor warranty things, they are great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman