Relieve my ignorance

Steve_P

I'm thinking about buying an RTT for solo camping. I know nothing about them other than what I've seen on the web. Currently thinking of a clamshell like the Barraud Discovery or the Roofnest Sparroweye. This will initially be used on a Garvin Wilderness rack on my TJ. I prefer a hard shell because it will have to stay on the Jeep full time and will be stored outdoors.

I would appreciate any advice you're willing to give but I have a few initial questions.
Are any of the clamshell RTTs lockable as delivered or would it have to be modified?
Where do you stow the ladder while traveling?
I would want to continue to use the rack for lightweight items while traveling, has anyone engineered a gas strut system to raise one end of the RTT allowing access to the rack.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I feel like you should have some replies by now...

I can't speak to your specific model questions, but you might need to be concerned by the rack dimensions. Anything that hangs out over the windshield will be ridiculously loud in the airflow department. The further back something can sit the better it will ride. I would suggest a Tepui Ayer folding off the back as a good solo person with Jeep RTT option.

My Tepui soft folder tents have been on top of my jeep for almost 4 years now in Fresno sun (routinely hits 110 degrees here), rain, wind, snow, salt air at ocean, etc... No problems... But watch for parking garages...

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I have a Baroud Space on a two door JK. Typically, the ladder is stored inside the tent, but I bought a telescoping ladder that will fit inside the Jeep. If you store bedding inside the RTT there isn't really room for anything else IMO. No way to lock the Barouds that I know of. Some Autohome models have a crank mechanism that can be locked in the rig (making the RTT very difficult to open without it).

Not sure what you are asking about in the last sentence.

Steve_P

I would suggest a Tepui Ayer folding off the back as a good solo person with Jeep RTT option.
Changing my thinking about the clamshell. Looking at the Tepui Ayer 2 and Baja 2. Either, opening to the back, should leave me about 28 inches at the front of the rack for other items. One concern about the Tepui tents is how much do you need to use guys on the window flaps, etc, in a moderately windy desert or high plains environment. Do you know if the Baja models have window flaps or are they always open screen houses?

Thanks for the info on the Tepui longevity.

Last edited:

Steve_P

Not sure what you are asking about in the last sentence.
Basically, the clamshell models would cover my entire rack when mounted. With the standard yak bar mounts I would have about 2" clearance between the top rail of the rack and the bottom of the tent, with about 6" clearance between the rack floor and tent floor. I'd like to use that for some lightweight items that may not fit well inside the Jeep, bag chairs, canopy, etc.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Changing my thinking about the clamshell. Looking at the Tepui Ayer 2 and Baja 2. Either, opening to the back, should leave me about 28 inches at the front of the rack for other items. One concern about the Tepui tents is how much do you need to use guys on the window flaps, etc, in a moderately windy desert or high plains environment. Do you know if the Baja models have window flaps or are they always open screen houses?

Thanks for the info on the Tepui longevity.

No need for guys, the window flaps and rain fly extensions are held out/open with metal spring bars.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I've never had a Baja, can't speak to that.

On my JK with Gobi rack, you could just get the Ayer far enough back to allow the tailgate to clear the ladder when opening, but otherwise, it is easy to move the ladder with one hand while opening. I don't know about TJs, but still on your list of stuff to think about...

I've been in some high, gusty, and sustained winds. I would be confident that the Pacific Ocean offers up as much wind as the Texas plains, and I've never guyed a window or door flap. They do flap around a bit with gusts, and that bothers some people, but the spring tension rods are pretty stout. All tents shake in wind. I did once use a guy (tie strap) from the ladder to the rear bumper when I saw the tent trying to fold shut while empty in about 30+ mph winds in a Sierra Mountain blizzard at about 10,000 feet.

The best thing I've found for the Tepuis is about 80% resale value. If you buy one, use it for a year, and sell it, you probably only lose a couple hundred bucks.

Another advantage to rear opening, there are threads on this, but... Your duffels, boots, and whatnot can sit on the rack and be accessed through the front door.

Enjoy!

Steve_P

On my JK with Gobi rack, you could just get the Ayer far enough back to allow the tailgate to clear the ladder when opening, but otherwise, it is easy to move the ladder with one hand while opening.
With geometry on the Wilderness rack and the narrow tailgate on the TJ I don't think that will be a problem.
Another advantage to rear opening, there are threads on this, but... Your duffels, boots, and whatnot can sit on the rack and be accessed through the front door.
good thought, thanks for the input

Steve_P

I seem to have answered my own question. The Baja series can be purchased with one of three different tents, the lightweight Ayer tent, the mesh screenhouse, or a heavy aluminized winter tent, attached to the base with a zipper. The other tents can be individually purchased and are interchangeable.

I'm getting more impressed by the minute.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
You can lock JB tents! There are two little pop out pins that are in the latch, remove them and you can put a lock in it.

I store the ladder in the tent itself (fits fine in my JB Explorer over the sleeping bag), but it also fits in my JKU trunk sideways (right behind the rear seat).

mrjosh

Adventurer
I just sold my Tepui Ayer and bought a Roofnest Eagle Eye. Yes, a hard shell will take up more roof space, but I was more than willing to trade roof space for a quicker setup. Something to think about before making your rtt purchase.

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
I just sold my Tepui Ayer and bought a Roofnest Eagle Eye. Yes, a hard shell will take up more roof space, but I was more than willing to trade roof space for a quicker setup. Something to think about before making your rtt purchase.
They do take more time and effort than many people realize (myself included) before buying one. You get better with practice but setting up and, more specifically, packing it away solo can be a chore if you can't reach from the ground. I have a large one for the family and if I was going out solo for 1 night or moving each day I don't think I'd use it...

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears