Remote Battery option (not remote keyfob battery)

BOPOH

Explorer
I would like to move my battery from engine bay to cabin. Is there any write ups or good locations to consider? If anybody have experience with that or point me to good links i'd appreciate. Every time i search it brings up key fob results.

In reality it's really simple, run two wires back:

1. Is there a hole in firewall big enough? (under the truck is way too close to exhaust and flying rocks)
2. What's optimal wire gauge vs distance vs load? (charging wire from alternator is pretty thin so as other wires connected to the battery)
3. Safe mounting and safety around the battery, high density plastic box?

TIA

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
Just curious why? You need to seal it from Out gassing or get a sealed gel cell one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOPOH

Explorer
Factory headers are crap and it's hard to find them at junk yards. Cracked headers heat up engine bay pretty good. I have raised hood and cooling system is good now, but battery suffers(another one died). This is my dedicated off-road truck so i'm not planning on spending a fortune for good headers. Relocating the battery seems like an easy and good solution to eliminate this problem.

If you look in a jegs catalog, they have a kit to relocate the battery. If you use a traditional battery, you'll have to vent it to the outside, or just use a sealed gel battery. Where are you planning on putting it?

BOPOH

Explorer
guys, thanks for pointing out about sealed gel battery, i didn't even think of it. I was thinking maybe relocate it behind driver or passenger seat, not too far back so it doesn't interfere with recovery gear

I would personally build a shelf system for the cargo area and stuff it in a separate compartment behind one of the wheel wells. Good luck and post pics when it's done

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I would like to move my battery from engine bay to cabin. Is there any write ups or good locations to consider? If anybody have experience with that or point me to good links i'd appreciate. Every time i search it brings up key fob results.

In reality it's really simple, run two wires back:

1. Is there a hole in firewall big enough? (under the truck is way too close to exhaust and flying rocks)
2. What's optimal wire gauge vs distance vs load? (charging wire from alternator is pretty thin so as other wires connected to the battery)
3. Safe mounting and safety around the battery, hi density plastic box?

TIA

Here is the chart with other pertinent info http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/121167-Wire-gauge-amp-ratings-chart-help! There are more charts online you can find via google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears