Removing electric jacks for off road?

kodiak-black

Observer
Does anyone remove their electric jacks if you they you're going go on a trip involving some light off roading? If so, what kind of quick disconnect did you make to disconnect the power cable?

kodiak-black

Observer
Yes it's hardwired from what I can tell. There is nothing to unplug, but yes the camper battery powers the jacks

Last edited:

kodiak-black

Observer
This might be a weird answer, but what about just flipping the jacks over so they stick up instead of down?

also, for electrical quick disconnects, I recommend Deutsch connectors. nice and waterproof and super easy to connect and disconnect.

You know that did occur to me flip the upside down. I thought it would be nice to lose the extra weight as well.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
You might appreciate the reduction of weight and not having to worry about damaging the jacks.
I would think tc manufacturers would give the option, but, little connectors
Probably cut into their profit.

kodiak-black

Observer
You might appreciate the reduction of weight and not having to worry about damaging the jacks.
I would think tc manufacturers would give the option, but, little connectors
Probably cut into their profit.

Ya I suppose you're right. I'll find the best connectors accessible to me.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Anytime you can shave off some weight on a TC means the little
Woman can carry more stuff.
Imo, the greatest benefit is zero concern bending or damaging in any
Way the jacks themselves.
Want a wake-up call, search the price of ONE Of your jacks, don't forget
To add freight.
Good luck

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
The tradeoff is that truck campers get kind of wobbly and wavy when you walk around in them and are susceptible to rocking in the winds. I found that having the jacks down in camp was a big increase in comfort. The aft jacks didn't hang down significantly below the bumper, and the forward jacks never were an issue.

Your mileage may vary, however.

c.traveler2

Yes, I do remove my camper jacks and take them with me for when the off roading is done. Removing the jack will also reduce the width of the camper.

Mine have SAE connectors under a small plastic housing held to the camper with 2 screws. Very easy to disconnect.

Same as above….I’m pretty sure the OP has SAE connectors too on his Northstar Camper. Look for the plastic connection cover and remove to see the connectors.

0A697B59-B42A-44C0-B6A3-E3DDFDE1FBE8.jpeg0094C96E-5440-453A-A0D7-19A8AE3CD53F.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears