Removing jump seats from extended cab area?

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Has anyone removed the jump seats (1 or both) from their extended cab area? It seems like the perfect space for installing a fridge.

If you have removed the seats do you miss them? Or is it better to have a little more space for storage out of the truck bed, plus better access and a little more security for items?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Tiger does it routinely.

large.jpg

In installed a cabinet which is accessible from both sides.

Lots of ideas here: http://www.tigervehicles.com/gallery/

Malamute

Observer
I haven't removed them, but have built a shelf in that space in several trucks. It was mainly a dog bed shelf, the top a few inches below the top of the seat back. I made other shelves below. It was a great way to have more useful storage space and was more secure, being out of sight, often with a large dog on top of it. Great for coats, hats, gloves, fist aid kit, road flares, ammo, a Winchester carbine in a scabbard attached to the front of the shelf unit (easily accessed by tilting the drivers seat forward).

I have tossed my rear seats out of my 1986 F250 Extra cab and use it to store tools that I want kept in less moisture than my service body. Electronics, Dewalt cordless, clothes, and with the bench seat all the way back it fits the 10 gallon Action Packers perfectly. I have a foldable jump seat from an E350 (made by Freedman Seating)that I am going to mount under the drivers side rear window. It is sitting there for now to get a feel for how it will work out. I figure that IF I need to cary 4 people or 3 and a car seat, then I can fold the front seat forward and throw a small human in the back. It is big enough that myself could use it if need be, but I always drive so HAHA.

I will get a picture of it, but it's mounting bracketry is still in design mode.

102_3795.jpg

102_3796.jpg

Last edited:

takesiteasy

Adventurer
I pulled the seats and built a dog platform. There is lots of room for the dog and other stuff. I put a frontrunner footwell water tank under the platform. Works well and don't miss the seats. I kept them to reinstall if I want to sell the truck.

aardvarcus

Adventurer
I would say it would depend on the truck model, whether this was a dedicated rig or a double duty rig, and if the seats were large enough to actually use. On older trucks with the tiny extended cabs people barely fit in anyway; I would yank the seats out and have a roomy regular cab with rear storage. Newer trucks with decent rear legroom and rear doors; I would leave them as it is very handy to be able to carry more than 2 people in a pinch. If your seats fold up/down, you could leave them in folded, and move your fridge or shelf to the truck bed if you needed to carry more people.

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
I removed the rear sats from my 2010 Silverado. I built a flat floor base out of plywood with two storage compartments and painted it black with matching grey carpet. I mounted my ARB fridge to one side and have the other for storage. The whole thing can easily removed and the seats re-installed.
sorry no pics.

amocaT

Adventurer
I didn't remove the seats. Just built a platform for the fridge and the dog. I can remove the platform and fridge in 5mins.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Very good ideas. Thanks for suggestions and photos. These are helpful.

Did everyone use wood for their projects, or are there other materials that work well for lightweight cabinets, shelves, platforms in thus area?

Malamute

Observer
Very good ideas. Thanks for suggestions and photos. These are helpful.

Did everyone use wood for their projects, or are there other materials that work well for lightweight cabinets, shelves, platforms in thus area?

I used light angle for the rails under the shelf, and 2x2 and 1x2 for the rest of it. I think the ply for the top was 3/8".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998