Removing Oxidation?

What's the best way to remove oxidation from a fiberglass pop up truck camper? I've heard that Scotch Brite makes a spray on cleaning product that does it.

I don't want to remove any of the gel-coat, but I do want to clean her up a bit.

Anyone have experience/advice on this topic?

java

Expedition Leader
Lots of compound! and elbow grease....

Oven cleaner gets oil stains off well.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I scrubbed my '93 with soap and a sponge like you use in the kitchen, with the green scrubby stuff on one side. The green side isn't harsh enough to do damage, but seemed to shine it up a lot by getting rid of the white oxidation. I think I used Superclean as the soap, but dish soap would probably work well too. After you re-caulk anything that needs it, you can check into using floor wax to preserve the look if you like. Search for "Red Max on RV" and read a few articles. Works excellent if you want your camper to really shine. Mine is rough enough that I'm just going to scrub it one last time with actual scotchbrite and paint it white. Don't care for the colonial white, and now it's all faded and the stickers peeling and the trim is flaking... Time for some good old rustoleum!! :)

For the past couple days I've been using 3M marine all-in-one rubbing compound/wax. The oxidation is going away and the sheen of the camper is coming through! Elbow grease and a drill with a buffing pad on it seems to work pretty well.

digitaldelay

Explorer
For the past couple days I've been using 3M marine all-in-one rubbing compound/wax. The oxidation is going away and the sheen of the camper is coming through! Elbow grease and a drill with a buffing pad on it seems to work pretty well.

Good to hear!

Jason

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

MYTACO

Adventurer
I haven't tried this on my boat yet, but was told the dishwasher drying agent (liquid) works well on fiberglass. I used it on my windows at home where the sprinklers had hit and left hard water stains and it's gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csj

I used 3M marine restorer and wax with a buffer and the results were excellent.
It took a day and a half to get around the 23' travel trailer but totally worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior