Repainting my xj...with bedliner?

alosix

Expedition Leader
I'd 2nd that maaco suggestion

Though, we did the M725 with a HVLP gun and some thinned rustoleum satin black.

IMG00128.jpg

To me, it turned out pretty good. In the pic you can tell I did the doors at a different time than the body and had it mixed a little thinner. That truck took a lot of paint.. you'd probably be able to get an XJ done in one batch of paint to avoid that sort of issue. Its been holding up well and the ability to touch it up with a rattle can has been quite nice.

Jason

Zeero

Adventurer
I've seen a Liberty with its ARB bumpers, plastic fender flares and lower half of the doors (under the bump strips) done in "Herculiner".....looked awesome, and was functionally protective to.

Any little bumps to those areas or rock scrapes or tree branches, just slid right off, didnt affect the liner, or sheet metal.

Great idea, just apply it "where needed".

:sombrero::victory:

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Coating inside of my XJ

Living in Southern California I don't have the same moisture problem many of you have in other states or countries. However, since my XJ spends most of it's time outside and is subject to the usual weather, I found that some light rust under the carpet one year. I was surprized that the carpet was dry but the padding acted like a sponge holding the moisture agains the painted floor pan.

I remove all the carpet from the entire vehicle (a task bigger than I would have imagined) coated the entire floor with Herculiner. I also spent many hours under the dash chasing down all the sources of the moisture. My purpose was to give an eztra barrier of protection against hidden mositure next time.

I was quite please with the results. Since I have remove my rear seat and made a level platform I also coated the plywood which added a non-skid surface for the outdoor carpet.

Sorry no pictures of the process just a few of the finished project.

First, my simu-storm:

feb08009.jpg

feb08010.jpg

I used gray for the rear and white for the front:

feb08002-1.jpg

Picture from the rear with the outdoor carpet:

feb08004-1.jpg

With the rear carpet and padding removed, I believe the net result was a weight loss.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Alright, so I decided that I'm going the rustoleum path. I'm going to keep this XJ for as long as I can, but money is still a factor right now, and I've used the stuff before.

Here's a shot of it how I bought it:

DSC05115.jpg

Here's what I've done so far. Removed pinstripe...painted: mirrors, headlight surrounds, grill, jeep header panel above radiator, plastic cowl cover, driver side fender flare. (did a mix of plastic and metal to see how it matched, basically)

Stopped there cuz I ran out of daylight:

DSC06937.jpg

DSC06936.jpg

It's going to end up murdered out w/ satin black brushed or sprayed on. Gonna try to get a lot of it done this weekend.

I REALLY like the way it looks so far, and Mrs. Bigdaddy approves...:)

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Here is mine we painted with Rustoleum semi gloss black:

n710734212_1643037_2372783.jpg

The body is pretty beat up, you can see all the dents in this picture.

DSCN0523.jpg

IMG_3241-1.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

-Alex

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Thats one of my favorite xj's, Alex. Very cool two-tone look.

Thanks, I am impressed with how well the paint actually turned out. I just have to hit it again every 6 months or before we hit up a big event to keep it looking good.

-Alex

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I did mine (bottom half) with rubberized underbody coating, then went back over that with Krylon semi-flat black to give a nice even coat. The undercoating gives it a nice texture and rust protection, and the paint makes it look nice and uniform. It has held up very well for me so far, and is very easy to touch up.

I am going to paint the top half of it desert tan this winter, but it will be automotive paints, including the door jambs, under hood area etc. My dad has a hotrod shop, so it will be done there over a long weekend.

DSCN1208.jpg

DSCN1209.jpg

Photo_042309_005.jpg

Bad photoshop job of how I want it to look.

deserttanxj.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
those two tones are nice.

got some more done this weekend. I have to put another coat on my hood, to help with the "striping effect". I'm going to put some hood vents in eventually, so I'm not too worried about it, yet.

thanks for the posts guys.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

James (stumpxj),

Whose brand of rubberized underbody coating did you use? Did it seem to be evenly sprayed (not running) when done? How many coats of coating? coats of paint? Would you take this same approach again if you know what you know know?

I'm thinking of doing something like that to my lower rockers but debated on the underbody coating or the truck bed liner stuff and do it myself. One quote I had to do my ext cab F150 was $750 to do the rockers & fender flares, seemed a bit expensive to me. Thanks for the info.

Pete Wilson

tommudd

Explorer
theres a guy over on LOST JEEPS that did his whole 2008 KK Liberty in bedliner

Got caught in a hail storm was cheaper to bed line it than repair and repaint

look up diggerfreak over there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78